Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,375,028 times

Advertisements

Its been several years since I rented a penske but it was not a good experience. The truck was falling apart. Certain critical guages didn't work and I got a D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. response from the people behind the counter.
Penske uses or used to use speed limiters set to 65 MPH. That may seem reasonable but there is always going to be someone who wants to go even slower than that and there is not enough speed to be able to pass someone without causing a traffic jam in the process.

About gas milage, you won't seen much, if any difference. These are not small volkswagen turbo diesels. Also diesel costs more. If you're more comfortable in the smaller truck use that although I would warn that it's real easy to misjudge how much space you need and end up with a completely full truck that's only got 80% of your stuff in it. Better to sometimes err on the side of too much space.

About having empty space in the truck... The way to pack a moving truck when there is a lot of space left over is to actually pile boxes on the ground so they take up the entire floor area and use other lighter packages to fill the voids. I learned this from a Fedex ground driver who had been using a moving van temporarily when his truck was being repaired.
I found this link for you that explains in greater detail How to Pack a Moving Van | eHow.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM

15 posts, read 30,767 times
I don't know about Penske, but U-Haul used to weld odd size tow balls on their trucks to force you to rent their trailers dollies, etc. U-Haul told me the didn't, but on move day, there it was. They told me: Take it or take the gas, no a.c., no cruise-control truck. I would confirm with Penske just for peace of mind. Good luck with your move.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:02 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
The 22' truck sounds like it's a newer truck, which would be a big deal for me.

I usually rent from U-Haul, (about 5 times a year for various reasons,) but when they give me a truck that doesn't have cruise control, it's always an older truck despite whatever the gas type is.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,034,225 times
we just got back from a 10 hour run with a 16' Penske. We were taking a load up to our future house (well, it's already our house but the move won't be finished til the end of the year) so we got a 1-way truck. Unfortunately when we went to pick it up, someone had given away our truck earlier and all there was available was a local truck (ick). After 1/2hour+ of waiting for permission to use the local one on a 1-way trip and finally getting it... the truck was not in good shape. radio didn't work, front end vibrated the whole trip, it squeaked horribly... but it got all my stuff there. However, we were very surprised at the good gas mileage we got! haven't done the math but on a trip from central MD to southern NH, it really only needed 1 fill-up to get there.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 PM

335 posts, read 409,804 times
Originally took a loaded 26' diesel to Wisconsin from Florida via Penske and just reserved
a 16 ' gas they both get around 12 mpg, but the obvious load difference will vary based
of terrain and duh load. The large truck handled well. Just picking up a residue load
in Clearwater decided to fly into Tampa , rent a car and pickup the truck near where we
are staying. Penske has been awesome so I'm a return customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues