Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM

181 posts, read 505,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Then one day some chick from Cali drops in out of the sky ready to hit the ground running
Yep. That's me! I am definitely planning some trips out there soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 AM

23 posts, read 154,799 times
Echoing what a lot of people have said; it's very very difficult to get a job out of state simply because they'll typically have local candidates that are just as qualified. You'd have to be not just as good but better than anyone else there. I've actually been trying to get a job in Los Angeles for about three years now with no luck. Finally I've just decided to save up a good lump of cash and move, then use the connections I've built through years of visiting the area to try and land a job locally. Having a local address on my resume will increase my odds significantly, but it's still pretty terrifying to take the leap jobless.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zullyquirke View Post
Echoing what a lot of people have said; it's very very difficult to get a job out of state simply because they'll typically have local candidates that are just as qualified. You'd have to be not just as good but better than anyone else there. I've actually been trying to get a job in Los Angeles for about three years now with no luck. Finally I've just decided to save up a good lump of cash and move, then use the connections I've built through years of visiting the area to try and land a job locally. Having a local address on my resume will increase my odds significantly, but it's still pretty terrifying to take the leap jobless.
If you dont mind me asking, how much do u think is enough to be saved up to make the leap and what field/line of work are you in.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
If you dont mind me asking, how much do u think is enough to be saved up to make the leap and what field/line of work are you in.
I'm a graphic designer specializing in packaging for consumer goods (toys, food, apparel, electronics, etc). It's kind of a specialized thing, since it involves both design and structural engineering. And I'm senior level. Even so, I fully expect to be overlooked for local candidates. Or even after moving there, to be last on the list because I have no connections. I guess I'm just THAT determined to do this anyway. Goes to show how miserable I am here in California.

Anyway....last time I did this, I immediately got hooked up with design temp agencies, which kept me at least bringing in some income while I kept applying to other things. I plan on doing that again. Sometimes you luck out and get a contract that will be steady for several months. Fingers crossed.

I also plan on living (and moving) as cheaply as possible. Sell my crap here and just go--I am not paying fancy movers thousands to shlep my stuff across the country! And then once I get there, I am fine with a tiny studio, or even possibly a roommate situation. Until things stabilize. I'd like to have at least 10K (and no debt) before I go. We'll see.

Good luck to all of us dreamers

Old 08-09-2012, 08:09 PM

123 posts, read 289,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
Good luck to all of us dreamers
I have been applying for work in the San Francisco Bay area from Miami, FL for about 5 weeks with no luck. I'm feeling discouraged and I'm thinking the same--I should just save, save, save and go out there and THEN look for a job. But I'm not sure I have the guts to risk it.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Old 08-09-2012, 08:29 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotoliveoil View Post
I have been applying for work in the San Francisco Bay area from Miami, FL for about 5 weeks with no luck. I'm feeling discouraged and I'm thinking the same--I should just save, save, save and go out there and THEN look for a job. But I'm not sure I have the guts to risk it.

It is not easy. In 2011 I applied for and send resumes for several openings in the Raleigh area during a 6 month. The only 2 respones I got were the 2 that I put a Raleigh address on. Neither one of them went far. I too live in Miami and am looking for the best way to make a move. Applying from far away doesn't look like it will get me far.
I wonder if I may have to save for a few years and then just make a move.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotoliveoil View Post

do you know the same software as the jobs you are seeing? they really make a huge deal out of that most everywhere these days. pretty silly when somebody is computer literate and can easily be trained!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:09 AM

What's really frustrating is I keep getting contacted (completely out of the blue) by headhunters who want me for other jobs where I am now. (Just got two today, wtf?) I don't want them, because I don't want to stay here! Arrgh. I'd give the opportunities to someone else who wanted to move here if I could! Sometimes I read people's posts and wish we could all just "trade" jobs and housing.

This also makes me think it's not just about having a local address and phone. It's also what previous jobs/employers are listed on your resume. I know the only reason I'm getting these calls is because they are familiar with my (local) ex-employers. I won't have that advantage after I move. And I will have the "strike against me" of having my last job being across the country.

Ok, I gotta stop with the negative thinking now.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
No way would I move anywhere new without having some means to support myself by before I left. I moved from NY to Atlanta with a job lined up AND a steady income from my business. I'm very paranoid when it comes to having enough money for bills and all that, even though I've never had any real financial trouble.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:00 AM

23 posts, read 154,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
I'm an administrative assistant. Definitely not a specialized role, but one that gives me a lot of industry options. I've worked in oil and gas, finance, legal fields-- so I have a lot of choices once I get out there. But there's no way anyone's going to hire me from out of state.

As for enough, it depends on your life situation. For me, I've put away $5k separate from my actual moving expenses to live on since I plan on living in the Glendale area and splitting bills with some roommates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues