Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Why the hesitation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,930,010 times
There seems to be very little reason for you to stay, and virtually every reason to go.

Sometimes, a change of scenery is best for everyone. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:50 AM

67 posts, read 229,683 times
Hi all. Thanks so much for the wisdom, the shared experiences and the encouragement. I appreciate it. It's helpful to hear all your experiences and shared memories.

A llittle update, I am still here in Honolulu, the housing situation hit a snafu and after thinking for a day or so, it was fine with me. I had not made a concrete plan to get out at the time the plan fell, but I almsot did and still would have found something such as a hostel or room somewhere. It's a major city with different options. I realize had I 'rushed' to leave at the time I wrote the post, I would have had to do a lot 'on the fly' upon arrival like setting up a bank account (my bank here does not have a branch on the mainland), putting things in storage before leaving and dealing with coming back 'later' to get them, and also leaving a few treasured items with friends (an antigue mirror and a few old small persian rugs given to me by an elderly neighbor years ago in San Francisco). I literally was tossing things out and bagging old aloha shirts to give to the Salvation Army lol, But I have a few months grace period now to do it a little less rushed, but STILL definitely going. I can save a little more in the next month or two, and will have a nice 'little' $ egg coming in end of September which will be helpful. An old co worker where I am moving to (I still ahve some good contacts) introduced me this week to 3 temp agency colleagues that her company uses, so they'll be expecting me. I had the opportunity to talk to them about opportunities there and they said there was 'steady' type of work for what I do, and I learned I will have to delve deeper into Excel and charting capabilities, so I am hounding away at that.

Marigo's post really resounded with me,. I too arrived here and things went really smoothly. People were surprised at how fast I found a "good job" (although the pay was not so great) and I sailed nicely until about 3 years ago during the 2009 economy. I had plans to leave 2 years ago, but things looked like they were picking up, but in reality, they really didn't. Like Marigo, things just no longer synched here and I knew it was time to go, but as in many times in my life, I tend to stay until it is absolutely necessary to react. Hawaii for some odd reason has left me feeling much older than I should feel, much poorer, and had made me question what I can offer the work field. In the past few weeks, I have put out that 'last attempt' and still it does not work out. Odd too, for positions that I see no reason why I would not be selected. But they are the same things. The same $12 positions that I am trying to get away from. It's almost like a calling to leave, because I am the type of person who may forget what I really want to do and remain stagnant. It's a sign.

But I think it's taken me many many years to realize that the anxious periods in my life have been when I had not followed my passion or instinct and let life drive me instead of me getting behind the wheel. It's what I used to do in my 20s and thrived. When did I become stagnant and fearful of changing my life when I knew it needed to be changed.

So, I am planning on mid to end of October. And I hope I stick with that. I also hope that I dont have to put myself in that position of 'having' to leave really fast due to something out of my control. Instead I'd rather 'be' in control. But Marigol, again I could have written your post. So many similarities. I too will be 'in a downtown" and do plan on being gentle with myself in doing things I miss like a good Italian capuccino, some Napoleans, a great foreign film in a cinema, a thrift store or two, diverse ethnic food lol. Cooler weather. But yes,, Hawaii is special and I'm sure I will be in the inevitable position of being stuck ln a winter afternoon, in a subway, huddled with many others and remembering taking the #40 bus from King & Bishop after work to Ala Moana Center in the bright sunshine and wearing my business aloha shirt. But as for what has become my new sound bite, "life is a journey and not the destination".

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
I lived and worked for a few years in Hawaii, things fell into place very quickly for me, almost in an uncanny way. But then came a period where I couldn't seem to connect and I suddenly had a feeling it was time to go. I grieved to leave a place where I'd been so happy but there was another chapter coming up in my life and it seems that Hawaii wasn't the right place for me. I made a "sudden" leap similar to what you're contemplating and moved to one of the largest U.S. cities, living right downtown, and I was very emotional for a while. Culture shock in a way plus letting go of what had been. But soon I was working 2 jobs that I liked, progressing in a field, making more money and taking advantage of opportunities.

I think if you've lived there for a while you know there's something "ineffable" about Hawaii, a bit mystical in spite of the tourism, overdevelopment, etc. If you get a sense it's time to go then pay attention, it may be! You could put out one last call for what you need now and if things don't come together trust that it's time to grow in a new place.

I treasure my time in Hawaii but I know I made the right decision when it was time to leave, a lot of good came from it.

Oh, and I had no job and less money saved than you (though I had lived in the city a decade earlier and had some old contacts to look up). It took about two months, I started with temp work, but soon I was working and doing fine. I got my first full-time job through a random conversation with a person on a bus! Synchronous things happen everywhere when you're open to them.

Just a reminder: Be gentle with yourself if you feel a little wobbly when you return to mainland life!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM

27 posts, read 76,460 times
Those who haven't lived in Hawaii don't realize how mad the housing situation is. I paid the most I ever paid for a small apartment for a garage converted to 2 rooms there. You may be so relieved at how your whole survival configuration of job/apartment/transportation improves once you're not trying to make it in Hawaii! It just frees you up to concentrate on other things. And yet if you really want to live in Hawaii and it seems right at the time then the adjustments are worth it.

I miss Hawaii so much and yet when I visited again a few years after leaving it just didn't call to me to live there (not to mention that I visited during a searing heat wave!). Maybe later in life I'll move back there.

Re the bank account, you can always keep an account open and mail deposits, etc.; and many credit unions now have a network where you can use some services at another credit union (in another state) to access yours.

See how things work out, there are lulls no matter where you live and maybe you'll be able to restart there or feel it's time to move. Sometimes when it seems the "plug is pulled" in a place it means time to go, sometimes just means a cleansing before a restart.

Re timing, perhaps consult an astrologer (there are some good ones in HI). I'd advise not moving between the November 2012 eclipses, Nov. 13 to Nov. 28 I think. Not that it's a negative time, just sort of wobbly and it's traditionally advised to not make big changes between the eclipses (or on eclipses dates), things can go more smoothly at other times.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM

502 posts, read 986,497 times
Yes, you can all ways come back later in life and or to visit. And the happy memories you had while living here, will comfort you for the remainder of your life's journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues