Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:14 AM

24 posts, read 54,234 times

Advertisements

So after my earlier thread of finding out a move from TX to CA may take upwards of 3 days, I am looking at other moving options including using an ABF U-Pack trailer. The fact I wouldn't have to drive ol moving truck outweighs an inconvenience of parking the trailer or waiting a few days for our stuff.

How well do one of these trailers fit in a typical parking space. I have the trailer cleared from both apartments but want the trailer to be here less than a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
We used one to move from TX to NC six months ago. Horrible, horrible experience. Yes, you don't have to drive and that is the reason we chose it as well. The customer service is very, very good throughout the moving experience. However, none of that matters if your stuff all gets smashed to bits.

1) The trucks DO NOT have shocks like a regular moving truck. We moved all our stuff out to TX with a moving company. We were there for one year and then moved again. Some of the things we packed for the original move never got unpacked. For example, I had a wall mirror that was very well packed in a box designed for mirrors. I never opened the box. It was in one piece when we arrived in TX. When we arrived in NC, however, it sounded like a box of legos..literally in a million pieces. A very large percentage of our things were broken when we got here. I was devastated.

2) The trucks are filthy! Every single piece of my stuff was covered on the outside with a black film that rubbed off onto the everything it touched. Even worse, anyone who went into the truck got it all over the bottom of their shoes and it rubbed off onto the carpet in both rentals in TX an NC. There was literally no way no avoid it, except to designate one person as a truck person who wasn't allowed in the house, but we didn't have the manpower for that. Because of the filth we decided to wrap all of our furniture in plastic wrap so it wouldn't get dirty. It took HOURS.

3) We used one trailer for a storage container because we moved into temp housing while we looked for a house to purchase. They stored it in their facility for $250/month. Contrary to what they tell you, THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF!

My husband and I have moved 8 times in the last 14 years and have never had anything broken before. 6 times we have packed and loaded everything ourselves on a U-haul. Once we used a moving company. Once we used ABF. This was the worst experience I have ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues