Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for suggestions on the best route from Detroit to Portland, OR, in late November. I'd like to take the least "scenic" and flatter route (i.e., lower mountains, fewer drop-offs with no guard rails, and less snow--I have all season tires on a civic). Any thoughts? I don't mind taking more time to avoid higher elevations and snow. I would plan a week to make the trip if needed. Any first hand experience is welcome! Is there a good website to plan a route like this and specify criteria?

(I also posted this question over on the travel forum, but I didn't get any responses. Maybe I'll have better luck here on the moving forum.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 03:18 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Here is one map router you can look at

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=D...h&mra=prev&z=5

It pretty much follows the pioneer settlers "Oregon Trail". Which they found was the "flattest" route for their wagons. Some snow is a possibility in Nov, but not as much as Jan/Feb. Just have to watch the weather, and allow for extra stop as needed. (Unless you want to go by way of Los Angeles )

Old 08-09-2013, 04:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm looking for suggestions on the best route from Detroit to Portland, OR, in late November.
I-80 to I-84.
Keep a close eye on the weather.

If you're inclined to drive another 1000 miles you can go south first...
through Texas or NM and I-10 west into California and then I-5 north.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-09-2013 at 05:08 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Does anyone know if there is a website that discusses the elevation on various interstates?

Also, I would entertain the idea of having someone drive me across the country in late November. Does anyone know how these people are found (I obviously would need to find someone who is reliable and not a criminal....since we would be together for a few days....).

Last edited by xz2y; 08-09-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You need to find a good friend to drive with you.

I can vouch for the I 80/84 route. We picked up I 80 north of Denver in Wyo. We did not hit a mountainous drive until eastern OR. As you enter OR, the drive becomes a bit more hilly, but after Baker City, you will find yourself pretty high up. And the descent into the Pendleton area is steep. Otherwise, the drive is mostly through, not over, mountains. And in Utah and Idaho, if memory serves, it is pretty straight.

Even in the Blue Mountains of OR, the drive is not horribly steep.

I believe you pick up I 84 somewhere in Utah. You can do the necessary map research online. You can pick up road maps at welcome centers at each state except for Utah. I can't remember about Idaho. But we got one in Wyo and OR. You probably can get one from the states further east on I 80.

I would not drive this in the late fall through early summer. You would see snow in Wyo, I think. Also, there is bad weather in the Columbia Gorge from December through February. The weather there is very changeable. If I were moving in the winter, I'd fly. I would NOT drive this.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
Are you moving to OR or is this just a vacation? I ask because when I moved from MI to CA it was less expensive to ship my car then to drive it so you may want to look into that.
I have done long drives from MI to FL for example which is not as long as your planned trip but did them on my own as a young female. Having GPS is key for me. I would never go with a stranger regardless of background checks.
Late Nov weather usually is not too snowy but you may get some icy rain or small patches of snow

Old 08-11-2013, 08:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
November, you do not want to chance going thru Dakota and Montana.

2385 miles total I 80 to I 84
Detroit to Chicago
Chicago to Ogden
Ogden to Portland..

Actually shorter than 94 and 90... Which there is no way I would drive in late November.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:19 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I've taken that route: boring.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Are you moving to OR or is this just a vacation? I ask because when I moved from MI to CA it was less expensive to ship my car then to drive it so you may want to look into that.
I have done long drives from MI to FL for example which is not as long as your planned trip but did them on my own as a young female. Having GPS is key for me. I would never go with a stranger regardless of background checks.
Late Nov weather usually is not too snowy but you may get some icy rain or small patches of snow
Interesting idea to ship the car if I decide to move to OR. What company did you use and was it a good experience? I did a little research regarding shipping cars and one of the issues is that you are at their mercy for the pick up date and delivery date. I would need to look at more companies, but a recommendation is always helpful.

Good thoughts about GPS and driving with a stranger (not recommended).

Old 08-19-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You need to find a good friend to drive with you.

I can vouch for the I 80/84 route. We picked up I 80 north of Denver in Wyo. We did not hit a mountainous drive until eastern OR. As you enter OR, the drive becomes a bit more hilly, but after Baker City, you will find yourself pretty high up. And the descent into the Pendleton area is steep. Otherwise, the drive is mostly through, not over, mountains. And in Utah and Idaho, if memory serves, it is pretty straight.

Even in the Blue Mountains of OR, the drive is not horribly steep.

I believe you pick up I 84 somewhere in Utah. You can do the necessary map research online. You can pick up road maps at welcome centers at each state except for Utah. I can't remember about Idaho. But we got one in Wyo and OR. You probably can get one from the states further east on I 80.

I would not drive this in the late fall through early summer. You would see snow in Wyo, I think. Also, there is bad weather in the Columbia Gorge from December through February. The weather there is very changeable. If I were moving in the winter, I'd fly. I would NOT drive this.
Thanks for the advice. So you are suggesting that even the I-80 and I-84 route is risky in late November due to possible storms? Flying would be preferable, but I would need to ship the car in that case, or I could drive a more southerly route (longer but could be fun with a friend). I can get maps at AAA here in MI, but would love a website that tells me about elevations on various interstates through the mountains. Google maps and mapquest are good but don't give info on elevations. Thanks again for your post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues