Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 03:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

naw, piece of cake.

OMG, I can't imagine having to deal with a move and a new ALF for DH.

Can you get that done before you move? He could get settled before the move and you wouldn't have the added stress of settling in yourself and getiing him settled in at the same time.

Mom says she wants us to pick a house based on our criteria rather than demanding we be 2 hours from Miami. She finally saw the costs of acreage and taxes are higher when you get closer. Duh.

Of course, another wild hair in her arse and that could change. I think looking at ten properties in the last week has wised her up, it's like work.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Slowly getting things straightened around here. Lost a few things in the move, inevitable, I suppose. No big deal. Buying things for the new place.

Moving ain't cheap! Geez....you can do it cheap, but for a family, it is not...you throw away tons of food, from the fridge, and buy that stuff all over again, which adds up.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:33 PM

Yay, Jasper, sanity returns! What got lost?

Well, it looks like we're moving to Jupiter Farms in Florida. It's secluded but closer to amenities and it's only two hours from Miami.

We were lucky to have a mild day a few weeks ago and get another lawn tractor into the shop for DH to dismanrle and sell the parts. So, one less tractor to move.

Sold some more tools and clothes, slowly the stuff is going.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I ended up buying two Sterlite storage units, major lack of storage has been a problem. I checked Home Depot, $99, Amazon, $79. One for laundry room, one for kitchen. Very helpful.
They are cheap, sturdy, easy to snap together, lightweight. Great for apartments, because the one I bought was 30 inches wide, 5 feet tall. Perfect. Able to put 5 boxes of stuff in one. That was helpful!

This kitchen has 1/4 the storage space of my previous kitchen, even with rigorous getting rid of stuff, it was still a challenge.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM

That's a bummer about no storage in the kitchen. Maybe a rolling cart, nice butcher block one with drawers would help? A bakers rack?

I am looking forward to closets. A bigger kitchen. Oh, to dream........

Old 01-22-2014, 10:17 AM

362 posts, read 645,755 times
I'm interested to know what was lost too.

Had bank appraisal on Monday morning. Waiting to hear. Really can't do anything more until we know they are approved for mortgage. Have about 88 boxes packed, sold some furniture, 2 fur coats (on EBay), donated tons of stuff and still donating, rolled all are rugs in the house and securely packaged them, and dismantling my office/craft/sewing rooms.

Had all the major moving companies in for quotes. Also looking for short term rental.

Once we get the word that everything is a go, we will start power packing, book flights, hotel, and rent a car to look at apartments in new city, and confirm and sign contract with moving company.
I also have to take pups to vet for shots and sedatives.

Trying to figure out what I can save from kitchen cabinets and what needs to be thrown away. Trying to cook and bake what is in house to use up most of what I have.

So stressful and to top it off, we have major snow. Keep wondering how this will impact all my outdoor furniture and the move (since they are covered in snow).

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM

Nice going Shots, good luck on the appraisal.

Instead of hiring a real inspector Mom used a friend of a friend who supposedly was a general contractor.

Like us, we haven't done much with this cold snap as far as anything new. I still have stuff on ebay.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
Wow, wish I would have seen this board BEFORE we moved. It was a horrible experience. We got sick with the flu during the move and had to keep the truck an extra 3 days before we could unpack. That was the tip of the iceberg. I have moved so many times, and this was the closest thing to H_ _ L I have ever experienced. Taking ex landlord to court for deposit shortly--he decided for no reason to keep it. Remember, when you move to another state, to get your car tabs and drivers licenses changed asap. That will help with so many other things you will need to do.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts. There is no easy moving. Keep taking deep breaths!

Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM

jzeig, sorry for your illness. Feel free to elaborate on your moving horros/things to avoid.......

Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Well, we are at the starting process, headed down in a couple of weeks to house-hunt. We have started with the garage, throwing out stuff, pricing stuff for the garage sale. It is AMAZING how much STUFF you can accumulate in 20+ years.

All the stories in this thread just warns us about what we have to both look forward to and dread.

But the die is cast. My oldest son just said, we should have done this 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues