Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM

27 posts, read 28,751 times

Advertisements

I think weather can be a very good reason to move. I've lived in the mid-Atlantic nearly all my life, but I don't think I can stand living somewhere that doesn't get snow in the winter. I'm definitely the kind of person who wants four seasons, and if I ever had to move, I'd much rather move north than south.

Warm weather is nice and all, but it doesn't need to be year-round.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:16 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,948,125 times
One of the main reasons I moved to Denver was for snow. If it didn't have any, I wouldn't have considered it.

If that ever changes, I will move to a more preferable climate. I wouldn't mind cooler summers.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:15 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That "crazy light depression" is very real, I can assure you. I suffered from it. Mine would usually start with anxiety as Labor Day neared, because I knew what was to come. Seeing the leaves change in the fall added to it, the ugly colors of fall just reminded me that winter was coming fast. Once the first snow would fall, I was all out miserable, and would stay that way until the flowers started to bloom in the spring. I am only fully happy when the sun is out and the air is warm.

This year, since moving, I feel none of that. The sun shines every day. It is warm (near 80 today) and I am able to sit outside and let that Vitamin D lift my mood.

For those who say weather isn't a good enough reason or shouldn't be the only reason...they don't fully understand how profoundly effected some of us are. I not only feel BETTER, but I feel lighter without the usual dread of winter yet to come. My only regret is I didn't move years ago.
Yep, SAD is a thing and a big deal for those who suffer from it. You can treat it in darker climates (lightboxes, supplements, canned tuna/salmon), but it feels so much better to just not have to worry about it.

Also, weather is a good reason to move if it's important to you. Just like family is a great reason to move if it's important to you, or how job security's a great reason to move. Make a list of your priorities. Is climate near the top of that? Congrats, it's now an important reason to move.

Different weather patterns for different folks

Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,214,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I've NEVER used my AC even when it was 100 out, it's a waste of money. I've found fans work perfectly fine and it's done just fine since I've been here, and worked perfectly fine in WV for years. I've found a simple box fan in the window at night will work wonders. Otherwise if we don't use a fan we don't use any thing, i'd rather not even have AC in the house. Truthfully I didn't even turn on my heat until it hit 30 out at night and then I was kind of forced to do that, because it was just too cold in the house and I don't handle cold too well. Any one that whines that the heat is just SO bad and you just can't stand it, is kind of a cry baby in my opinion. Go hop in a pool, the ocean or eat a ice cream, it's what I've done when I get hot. However I've been lucky enough to have a pool for free any time I want to use it and now the ocean is a short bike ride away.
You sound exactly like my mom. Never turns on the heat till its freezing cold or refuses to turn on the A/C when its blazing hot.

I am sensitive to both extremes on the other hand. I am cold the moment it drops below 50 F and sizzle the moment it hits 85 F. Hence, I am usually always in a climate controlled environment. An ideal location for me is the southern appalachian Mountains (Western NC, eastern TN, and western VA). I want a little cold in the winter, but not the overdose of 25 F and overcast weather we are getting right now.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 AM

37,137 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I think it's a very good reason to move. Or NOT move. Once there was a potential move to Phoenix on the horizon and I put my foot down on that. Sure it was an opportunity lost, but another on was found right here in the Bay Area. I can't take the heat in any way, my skin is supersensitive and pale and my body thermostat looses control at anything over 90 degrees. There in no job prestigious enough, no house nice enough, no neighborhood friendly enough to get me to live in a place like that.

I did enjoy my week long vacation in Phoenix, but it wasn't in the summer.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:05 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,137 times
We've all got different priorities. If only a utopia existed where we could have it all, but there are tradeoffs. I happen to live in a part of the country where the weather is considered ideal to most. But the tradeoffs are very high cost of living, high traffic, crowds, too many tourists contributing to those crowds and traffic as well, too many foreigners speaking many different languages other than English in public and high-density housing where most of us are living on top of each other in little places under 1000 sq'. Those in SFRs have teeny tiny postage-stamp sized yards where the houses are so close together that they may as well be townhouses. Homes aren't really well-built here because they build them so fast and using cheap materials and labor. Apartment and condo walls are thin and you hear every little peep from your neighbors. And since everything is so dense and crowded and high-traffic, it's always so NOISY and not peaceful. Parks charge for parking. You need to get around by car here because our public transportation schedules are limited and bus rides take way too long.

I've stayed in places where homes are big and sturdy and on large lots and most everyone is American and speaks English only, but it's cold as heck and many of the people are narrowminded and judgemental and gossipy.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:55 PM

207 posts, read 445,545 times
We had to move for jobs but it did help that it was in a warmer climate. My husband has rheumatoid arthritis which is worse
In the cold and I always had SAD during th winter. While we miss our family we feel better here

Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 PM

659 posts, read 940,887 times
Frankly speaking I hate Arizona.
I have mild thermophobia and don't do well in heat. I was born and raised in NYC so I'm used to the 4 seasons. The novelty of living in Arizona wore off by my second year and after that I just couldn't wait to move back to 4 seasons!

I've been here for almost 14 years and I'm absolutely miserable. Places like Alaska and Vermont for example, are becoming more and more appealing. I miss the snow, I miss the autumn air, and I miss having SPRING! Summer is and has ALWAYS been my most hated season ever!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Frankly speaking I hate Arizona.
I have mild thermophobia and don't do well in heat. I was born and raised in NYC so I'm used to the 4 seasons. The novelty of living in Arizona wore off by my second year and after that I just couldn't wait to move back to 4 seasons!

I've been here for almost 14 years and I'm absolutely miserable. Places like Alaska and Vermont for example, are becoming more and more appealing. I miss the snow, I miss the autumn air, and I miss having SPRING! Summer is and has ALWAYS been my most hated season ever!

Why did you move to Arizona?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:13 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
https://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/opin...-mass-goes-bad

Check this article out about Salt Lake City inversions. Choking smog, lasts for months in the winter there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...&client=safari

Here are some pictures.

I don't mind winter, but I need to see the sun! And have fresh air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues