Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 01:09 PM

607 posts, read 1,394,102 times

Advertisements

I like the four seasons. It provides variety and it makes you appreciate Spring and Summer that much more after emerging from Old Man Winter. In my younger years, I always wanted to move somewhere warmer, but as I've gotten older, I've definitely learned to appreciate and come to like the different seasons a lot more. Although I prefer warm and sunny weather and absolutely hate snow, ice and everything else that comes with Winter, I think it'd get a little boring having the same weather every day of the year. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:27 PM

175 posts, read 257,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCK87 View Post
ElleTea, you are my hero. I live in Wisconsin....enough said. This lovely ice storm we are having coupled with the 8-9" snow forecast for Sunday are just making life so lovely. I'm done with winter and have never really liked it either. Weather is a great reason to move, if you can't stand it where you live because of the weather and are depressed for half of the year, that is NO way to live. On my way out soon.
I live in Wisconsin too and I am looking forward to the snow tonight! I think we're guaranteed to have a white Christmas this year. There'll be some good cross country skiing to do later in the week after Christmas. There's pretty snow on the rooftops. I have some hot chocolate on standby in case I wimp out, but I probably won't.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:26 PM

416 posts, read 871,735 times
Weather is probably 30% of the reason why I packed up, flipped the bird to California, and moved to Oregon. I HATE sun. HATE HATE HATE IT.

Yes, I'm weird. No, I'm not depressed or emo. I just love cloudy, misty, foggy, rainy days. And Portland has that a lot of the time.

The other reasons why I moved are: the people in California generally suck, homes are UNREASONABLY expensive, and moving to Portland was also a promotion.

So win-win in multiple ways.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i could not agree more. that is no reason to leave a 35f below winter in chicago and come here.
LOL.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,902,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Weather is probably 30% of the reason why I packed up, flipped the bird to California, and moved to Oregon. I HATE sun. HATE HATE HATE IT.

Yes, I'm weird. No, I'm not depressed or emo. I just love cloudy, misty, foggy, rainy days. And Portland has that a lot of the time.
I came from the Midwest and picked the PNW because I liked the cool, cloudy weather too. The summers here are incredible, nothing like the hot and humid misery back east. The winters are mild and snow is rare. It is my idea of a weather paradise here.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i could not agree more. that is no reason to leave a 35f below winter in chicago and come here.
LOL.
35f below winter in Chicago? Are you really that ignorant or are you just reiterating some false stereotype?

Old 12-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post

The other reasons why I moved are: the people in California generally suck, homes are UNREASONABLY expensive, and moving to Portland was also a promotion.

So win-win in multiple ways.
Well you're not the first person to leave the so-called "golden" state, and you sure won't be the last!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:02 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
I see on these forums all the time that people say they're "sick of the weather" where they are and that they want to move, and others turn up their nose in disdain, saying that "there's more to life than weather".

For me, living in Ohio with fibromyalgia is a nightmare. My life practically ceases to exist beginning in October, and doesn't come back until May. I get about 5 months a year where I feel like I actually LIVE. Once the weather starts to turn and the barometric pressure starts swinging wildly, I'm miserable. I need to be somewhere that it is hot all the time, or at the very least, rarely dips below 60.

Now, I know that my situation is on the extreme end of the pendulum, but before I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 8 years ago, I STILL always wanted to live in warm weather near the beach. The atmosphere of tropical living brightens my soul and it's where I feel I belong. I've always hated cold and winter weather, and hate how 6+ months out of the year, I'm stuck inside.

WHY is that not acceptable to people?

Some people will move anywhere for a new job that gives them a better daily life, in their opinion, so why is weather the red-headed stepchild when people just want that same better life? I've lived in places that I've had cruddy jobs, but the daily life was better, and I've lived in places where the job was good and the daily life sucked. Who's to say what's an "acceptable" reason to move?
In my opinion, your situation is different. You have a health condition in which the cold makes you miserable and you can't function because of it. I think you should be in a warmer area, since it is better for your health.

People, like me on the other hand moved because I was tired of the weather, (moved from CT to FL) and the statement about weather is not good enough to move - I think should apply to people like myself who moved simply because I didn't like the cold/snow! Now, living here for 6 years, I can see what they mean.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Seeing pictures of the recent snow in my old hometown just reinforces my choice to move solely for the weather. I don't miss the stress and anxiety that snow brought me

Old 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Seeing pictures of the recent snow in my old hometown just reinforces my choice to move solely for the weather. I don't miss the stress and anxiety that snow brought me
I totally understand what you mean!!!! I cannot wait until I can move out of the northeast......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues