Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:49 PM

202 posts, read 240,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Kelly, has he used a placement agency or looked at contracting?
Most of the interest has only been contracting. We really need benefits, and most contract jobs have benefits but are extremely expensive. He'll keep trying though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I have to agree with MJ7.

Several years ago, I had my resume redone by 2 professional resume services. It was filled with buzzwords and fluff. I had no hits locally or out of state for 4 months.

I took a free job hunting class. My resume was bullet proof, after 100 mock interviews. I took all the feedback and revised my resume gradually. They had me remove all the BS. I got calls every week in the middle of winter for corporate jobs. I had 10-20 mock interviews every week in this FREE class.

Relocation isn't even necessary for IT jobs. At my employer, we have developers working remote out of state. They work from home. They still jump on conference calls and turn in their projects like everybody else. They can still transfer to other offices, which may be in different cities. Somebody may work in Philadelphia for the Dallas office. Next year, they could be working in Philadelphia for the Chicago office. If the employee moves to the local office, it's up to them. It's no big deal. If they need local support, they just go to the local corporate office.

It makes moving easy also. If I want to move to Florida, I can't find any jobs in FL. I could apply for the Chicago, NY, or any office and work remote from Texas. When I get enough funds, I can move to Florida and still work remote for the Chicago or whatever office.
Do you mind messaging me the name of your company? I might have him look and see if there's a position he qualifies for.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:37 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1922 View Post
Most of the interest has only been contracting. We really need benefits, and most contract jobs have benefits but are extremely expensive. He'll keep trying though!
One of the options is contract to hire. Work for the contracting company for 6 months and then get hired by the business.

Contracting jobs do have poor benefits, I agree. But a contract to hire is great for everyone, if it's a good fit. The business doesn't have to screen the applicants, they don't have to do all the government paperwork, and they don't have to provide the benefits all up front. That way if someone doesn't work out, they are not out that much. But in 6 months if the person fits, they take on those roles and are happy to pay those expenses because they have found a good employee.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:20 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I know people who have rented commercial P O Boxes in the new state and then given out only a cell phone number or only provided employers with only an email contact. Others used a friend's or relative's address and phone, having the friend "take a message" if an employer called.

I imagine there is a market for this sort of service. Maybe someone has filled it . . .

Yeah, it depends on one's field. It's known that contractors move around.
Honestly, the P.O. Box thing is a stupid idea. As soon as they see on the resume that all of your places of work were located in another state (long distance), it's obvious that you were not located in the state that you're trying to get a job in. If they are to believe that you are now located in the state that you wanted to relocate to, the resume doesn't show a current job held in the local area, which is not good, either. I would never do this.

Just tell it like it is and put your honest address on the resume. That way, if they decide to call you up, you can rest assured that they already know that you're out of state and they are willing to give you a chance to speak with them. This is the approach that I took, and surprisingly it turned out to be successful. I received quite a few phone calls from employers directly, when doing this.

Just be prepared to answer questions such as, "have you ever been to this area?" or "why do you want to relocate to this area?"

Old 05-04-2014, 06:55 AM

836 posts, read 1,661,886 times
I was a telecom/IT professional and moved regularly all over the country; never got a job prior to relocating.

You can do some researching and contacts ahead of time but employers don't take you seriously until you actually live there.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 AM

105 posts, read 274,813 times
For me, it was all about my resume. I gained a lot of experience at my previous job and fortunately for me, there were not a lot of ideal candidates in the state I was planning to move to so they wanted my skills and expertise badly.

I ended up having two skype video chats as interviews and everything worked out. I terminated my apartment lease early and sold or gave away most posessions and only took with me what fit in my car. 3 weeks later I was starting my new job in a new state.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 PM

51 posts, read 67,136 times
Hey guys, I've been monitoring this thread among a few others while I pursue a new job in a different state. I finally got a callback on an application and am flying out for an interview in a few weeks. What worked for me was changing my current address on my resume to a city near the office, and putting in parenthesis: (in -Month- 2014). In my cover letter, I changed my relocation desires from "able" to relocate to "I am relocating". I pretty much gave up on the fact that a company would pay for relocation, and am hoping to work that into an offer package. As much as I didn't want to, I joined LinkedIn and joined some groups relevant to the location. I was able to network with some HR folks and got a phone interview out of it. Also, about five positions I applied to (and was very qualified for) was "powered by Taleo" on their job application. Once I figured out that this represented a computer reading my resume before a human did, I changed my entire resume format and started submitting .doc files instead of .pdf. It pains me to think of the opportunities missed because the computer screened me out of consideration before HR had a chance to take 10 seconds and see my qualifications.

Hopefully the upcoming interview will confirm what I think will be a good fit, and am hoping to move in about a month if things go right. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks to those that have posted good advice.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:31 PM

403 posts, read 557,326 times
I have some experience with this recently and even a theory.

The experience: If the location you're looking for a job in as a hot spot for tourists, it seems that companies are less receptive of out-of-state applicants. My wife was offered and accepted a job in Vegas. She was actually given plenty of notice before she had to be out there. In the time leading up to the move, I sent out several resumes and didn't get any call backs. Now my wife is out there now and I'm hear taking care of some loose ends before I head out. I've sent out the exact same resumes and cover letters to some of the same companies, but now I have a Las Vegas address I can use and I've got 3 interviews scheduled during the next couple weeks.

My theory: I came up with this theory based on how the company I just left does things. If one person leaves, many times the company won't replace that person unless it's an essential position. Whenever possible, they would just pass the work onto people that were still with the company. If a few people that work in the same department of the company leave, then they will post the jobs, but since they now consider themselves to be short-handed, then they want people that can start immediately instead of having to wait another 3 weeks to a month to get one of the positions filled. I think that's what happens with a lot of other companies also. I think a lot of companies are still waiting as long as possible to post jobs, but once they post the jobs, they want to fill them and get the people working as quickly as possible. That makes out of state applicants less attractive in those cases because those people aren't able to start work as quickly as the company might like.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvis View Post
Hey guys, I've been monitoring this thread among a few others while I pursue a new job in a different state. I finally got a callback on an application and am flying out for an interview in a few weeks. What worked for me was changing my current address on my resume to a city near the office, and putting in parenthesis: (in -Month- 2014). In my cover letter, I changed my relocation desires from "able" to relocate to "I am relocating". I pretty much gave up on the fact that a company would pay for relocation, and am hoping to work that into an offer package. As much as I didn't want to, I joined LinkedIn and joined some groups relevant to the location. I was able to network with some HR folks and got a phone interview out of it. Also, about five positions I applied to (and was very qualified for) was "powered by Taleo" on their job application. Once I figured out that this represented a computer reading my resume before a human did, I changed my entire resume format and started submitting .doc files instead of .pdf. It pains me to think of the opportunities missed because the computer screened me out of consideration before HR had a chance to take 10 seconds and see my qualifications.

Hopefully the upcoming interview will confirm what I think will be a good fit, and am hoping to move in about a month if things go right. Best of luck to everyone, and thanks to those that have posted good advice.

This is great advice! Thanks, and good luck on your interview!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM

54 posts, read 96,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvis View Post

Wow that's great advice. Hmm especially the .pdf versus .doc format.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues