Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM

182 posts, read 702,030 times

Advertisements

We finally decided to use a moving company vs. DIY for our move from TX to TN. The agent comes tomorrow for an in-home estimate. We are fortunate that the buyer's of our home not only wanted our home, but a majority of the furnishings and decor as well. Still we have a good amount of stuff and want a hassle-free trip. I am most concerned about items being damaged during the move and having a hard-time getting reimbursed. The company we are considering came recommended from some friends of my mother-in-law who also moved from TX to TN last year. I did record the initial call with the company during which I asked about the claims process and they pretty much assured me it was easy and pain-free -- they come check out the items and reimburse us "with no questions asked."

What is the standard coverage for damages to personal property from the move as opposed to from theft or accidents. Also, we have a number of boxes I packed before putting our house up for sale to declutter and get it ready to show. I did ask about those and they said that if the boxes arrive in good condition and the contents were damaged, they are not covered. However, if the boxes arrive damaged and the contents are damaged they are covered.

I would like to put a list of questions together, regarding any aspect of the move, to ask when the agent is here tomorrow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Get in writing what they will and will not cover and their claim process. After you need to file a claim is not the time to discover their definition of "easy and pain-free" leaves a lot to be desired.

The same applies to their policy regarding damage to items you packed. Keep in mind that even if they say they will cover items should the box get damage, if they decided the box or the packing job did not meet their standards they might not pay the claim.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM

415 posts, read 2,334,539 times
GO to www.protectyourmove.gov I believe there is a downloadable copy of a booklet call " "your rights and responsibilities"" this will assist with questions you may have on services, pricing and claims

Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 PM

182 posts, read 702,030 times
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues