Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 05:30 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'll be moving for the first time in about six months. I currently live alone in the family home that I've lived in for over 30 years. I've been sorting through all the years of accumulated stuff, and I've started packing up some things I know I won't need to get ready for my downsize, but beyond that I am clueless! This will be a fairly local move, someplace within 30 miles of my current location.

How far in advance do I contact movers?
How do I change my address and utilities?
I'm sure there are tons of details I'm not even thinking about! Any help or direction would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I move a lot so a few thoughts. I have done very last moves like within a week finding a place, set up movers, etc. Unless you want to use a specific moving company you could find a mover for tomorrow if you wanted.
Once you find a place I would set the movers up so you get the time and date you want. Then you can set up the utilities there and cable/internet cause sometimes that can take time. I don't know if you are selling your home or renting but turn off your utilities in your previous place. Also have your mail forwarded. You can do this online on the post office website. This can be done later but things like changing your credit card billing address, the address on your banking. Your drivers license address I think you can do this online with Secretary of State and car insurance address by notifying the insurance company.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
1) Downsize as much as possible
2) Sell, donate, get rid of as much as possible
3) pack up when you dont need- pretend you are going on vacation the last few weeks- what would you absolutely need?
4) LABEL LABEL LABEL everything!
5) Research moving companies, ask friends/family, look on craigslist- It CAN be done cheaper than using UHAUL if you can find help. We found a guy who was just looking for an odd job to help us.

* you can call the electric company when you know your move dater and simply tell them " Im moving October 20 and need new service at 123 Service STr and my old service disconnected ".
* you can do a change of address through USPS.com but they charge you OR you can do it in person for free a week or two before move date.

The easiest thing that helped us was downsizing and labeling!

Old 09-19-2014, 10:47 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
I recommend making a list of the names and phones of the service providers in both areas...power, water, gas, trash, etc. then you will already have that info on hand in one place. I am moving in late October, and I have 2 lists....one for the old city and one for the new. Mine are on my phone in electronic format, but whatever works for you.

I also have the following lists:

Stuff to Donate

Stuff to buy for the new house

Stuff to give away (sorted by family member)

Things to do. It sounds silly, but by doing this you have a central place to jot down things as you think of them, and it will make you feel more organized). My list currently has on it things like:

Change of address
Cancel trash
Cancel newspaper
Check calendar and cancel medical apps

One big thing for me was changing my email address. It was provided by my local cable company, and I suddenly realized that when I turned off my cable and internet service, my email access would be lost !!!!!! I created a Gmail address and began methodically changing my email address with every credit card company, any where I had email subscriptions, etc. This turned out to be a huge job, because it also affected my electronic banking. I had to do the same for my husbands email too. What a pain, with the Gmail address this won't ever be an issue again.

I totally agree with the advice to pare down, give away, and donate stuff you don't need. Be merciless. Plastic bowls without lids...recycle. Old magazines, recycle. Beat up furniture you don't really need or it isn't worth moving, donate it. If you have a Habitat for Humanity ReStore near you, they will put up almost anything, including non-working yard machines and appliances, yard tools, household stuff, excess lumber and PVC, doors, windows, yard furniture......almost anything. And they pick up.

Also don't ignore the ease of the "put it at the curb" method. On a sunny day, put an item at the curb with a big tag reading "FREE" and it will probably vanish quickly. Some people also post 'curb alerts' on Craig's list for this kind of thing. Great for mattresses, which Goodwill and others won't take.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:24 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
If you can use Excel - google moving checklist and you will get couple of different checklists sorted by time (2 months before move, 2 weeks before move, etc)
Other wise go to the sites of the big moving companies (mayflower, United Van lines, U Pac) they all have resource information on how to get a quote, when to change address, utilities, how to pack. Some even have videos that show you how to pack specific items such as lamps. Very useful information

Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 PM

146 posts, read 293,862 times
Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of info I need. Any more suggestions/tips?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Decide ahead of time what you are going to do about valuables, including guns or any sensitive items.

You might start by buying or designating special boxes and keep them in a closet. These are things you don't want out of your sight. For example, when I moved, I filled a small red tool box with my checkbook, passport, digital camera, ss card, jewelry, etc., and placed that under the seat of my locked car. That way, I knew where it was and didn't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Related: if you are female and carry a purse, consider hiding that under a blanket in your locked car while you are moving or supervising movers.

Many movers are bonded and insured but unless you are in an isolated area, crooks can sneak in and take advantage of the situation!

It's also good to have a "transition box" and to keep that handy. Some items in the transition box: light bulbs, tp, duct tape, pen, paper, some hand tools (screw drivers, hammer, pliers), knife or box cutter. Often a move can get stopped right in the middle because someone needs to take off a door or you walk into the new place, need to use the bathroom, and -- surprise! -- there's no tp. The transition box contains those important odds and ends that tend to get buried.

Also OP, you might look at the thread that is stickied at the top of this forum "Best Tips."

Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
With the movers and being insured and bonded make sure it is not just for the items in the truck but also your home. For example you have wood floors and they scratch them that the insurance covers it.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:49 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,638,175 times
I forgot to mention my best tip...as I pack boxes, I put a large number on the box, always on 2 sides. Then I keep a running list of the numbers, with a short description of what is inside:

15 - guest bath linens
16 - computer cables, router
17 - vases and flower pots

You get the idea. This list is just for me and the family. No one else....this way when I'm unpacking, I know which boxes have the stuff I want right away, and which ones can wait a couple of weeks to be unpacked. No more randomly opening boxes hunting for the essentials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues