Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM

145 posts, read 866,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post

To most people not familiar with the midwest, Nebraska wouldn't even be on their radar -in their mind its probably flat,
Please don't take this question to mean I missed the point of your post: So, is Nebraska not flat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
Please don't take this question to mean I missed the point of your post: So, is Nebraska not flat?
Understand. Its not mountains, but it is does have more topography (hilly) than people think. Don't get me wrong, there are areas on the plains that are very flat and you can see for a long time which is great for farming. But around the metro there are hills so it breaks up the view and gives you a workout if you decide to bike.

Here is a topography map of the state and one of Omaha (scroll to bottom (http://www.omahabydesign.org/Green_Omaha/Green_Omaha_main.html - broken link)).

Last edited by Dave1215; 01-07-2008 at 09:04 PM..

Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I like Sperling's Best Places to live also. It is very helpfull with all the things you need to know about and area.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM

145 posts, read 866,379 times
Dave,
You've have been very helpful in describing all the wonderful things about Nebraska for me, and I'm glad that you have. Could you also tell me what the negatives are? I have been checking out the Omaha forum but it's hard to tell if those that are complaining are just complainers or have had some bad experiences that made them bitter or if the things mentioned are legitimate. Please fill me in so I have a good overall view of NE. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,554,679 times
Quote:
Dave,
You've have been very helpful in describing all the wonderful things about Nebraska for me, and I'm glad that you have. Could you also tell me what the negatives are? I have been checking out the Omaha forum but it's hard to tell if those that are complaining are just complainers or have had some bad experiences that made them bitter or if the things mentioned are legitimate. Please fill me in so I have a good overall view of NE. Thanks again.
Great question: Instead of me giving a single view, how about you pose that question on either the Nebraska or the Omaha forum? I'll watch for it and give my two cents then see how others respond... could be an intersting discussion... I'll be watching.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 532 times
Hi Corel, I see Im joining in quite late but still I just wanna say I really hope you guys went for Nebraska at the end. I had the chance to see some part of ast years when I was having a few- months long trip through the States and I must say no place was more charming and close to my heart than Nebraska. I loved everything about it. But one thing was true, it took me quite a lot of time to orientate myself and find the place I wanted to go to, maybe being European, maybe lacking the basic orientation sense, who knows. I guess if you decided to move there after all you already got to know a fair part of it, however, for anyone considering the visit there I leave a link to my one and only savior in case you also are an orientation dummy [url=http://vectormap.info/product/pdf-map-omaha-nebraska-us-exact-vector-street-city-plan-map-v3-09-full-editable-adobe-pdf-full-vector/]Omaha, Nebraska, US, exact vector street City Plan map V3.09, full editable, Adobe PDF, full vector[/url] I downloaded the PDF map, printed it out and never let go off it while I was there. I hope everythings alright with you and your enjoying your days there 

Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
tcs,
thanks for your input so far. As far as Iowa goes, I don't really mind it being flat. I've never being ski-ing, I'd be find with cross-country ski-ing and snow shoeing. We've crossed WA off the list. We're trying to get away from traffic and into a slower pace... (please, I mean no offense to those that love WA). Does any one have some information on the other states I listed? What you like about living there, what you don't? How are the people? What can you tell me about the weather? Thank you all for your advice and the information you provide.

Actually Iowa is not "flat as a pancake." This is a myth. You can ski in NE Iowa ... Sundown, outside of Dubuque, and go over the Mississippi River to Chestnut near Galena for better hills. It's not the Mountain West type of skiing but can hold you over in the meantime.

Look into Iowa City and Cedar Rapids and the many smaller towns surrounding these metros. University of Iowa and several smaller colleges in the area. Des Moines is a great place too but is less hilly and IMO not as scenic as the eastern part of the state.

I moved from southern California 20 years ago when our kids were still young. Schools are excellent and so is healthcare. People are friendly for the most part. People still wave and will talk to strangers about weather, etc. Winters can be an adjustment especially for native Californians, but you just dressed warm for it. The major roads in eastern Iowa are well plowed. The one thing that is different for me is that many people here have lived in Iowa their entire lives and stuck to family and life long friends, but you just have to make an extra effort to reach out. Many clubs, meetup groups, college course offerings at community colleges to compensate. Cedar Rapids is more family oriented so if you have kids that makes it easier. Iowa City has the most diversity with a leading public teaching hospital and university that draws professionals from all over the world.

Another adjustment is the humidity in summer, though early mornings and evenings usually cool down a bit. If you are an active outdoors person this may be a problem compared to the West with no humidity. IMO, Florida and the SE part of the US is much worse than Iowa.

Last edited by smpliving; 10-04-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-04-2016, 07:53 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Unfortunately, this is a zombie thread from 2008. I really, really wish people would come back and update!

And now Microsoft is expanding its operations into Des Moines, which will increase the number of IT jobs here.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:16 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Unfortunately, this is a zombie thread from 2008. I really, really wish people would come back and update!

And now Microsoft is expanding its operations into Des Moines, which will increase the number of IT jobs here.

Oh shoot! Didn't see that. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 57,462 times
Quote:
This similar to the "moving away not moving to" thread. My husband and I are ready to move, but we're still trying to decide where we want to go... so I'm asking for ideas. Here is what we would like:

1) Four seasons (including snow that sticks), but not much hotter than 90 in the summer

2) We need a decent size metro area, because of my husbands work (IT)

3) A slower pace of life then here in So. Cal.

Any ideas? Any and all will be considered....
lol when you find a good place plz let me know..I am dealing with the same thing I moved to NJ and I don't like it so now I am looking everywhere I want to try Nevada but my daughter says she wont go along because of the heat...maybe try NJ? some like it here but I'm in north jersey and its too busy I prefer peace and quiet without living like a sardine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues