Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM

11 posts, read 68,294 times

Advertisements

Ok i get what i have to do etc to eligable for a green card to allow me to live and work in the u.s but i have a few questions:

1) if i manage to fynd a legal way, would you advise agaisnt the idea of me moving over on my own at the age of around 19ish

2) is there anywhere to really avoid?

£)what are all the ways to move out there?

the back story is that for as long as i can remember i have wanted to leave the U.K and move to the U.S for a number of reasons and i have now really had enough and am about to start seriously looking at how to get out. Does anyone have any information they can give me on moving over, have any of you done this? any general information at all would be extremely helpfull. Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 04:07 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
You're only 19, follow your dream! Decide what you want in terms of living arrangements, employment, entertainment, etc and then research research research to figure out what place here suits you best.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM

382 posts, read 1,068,833 times
Lightbulb Have you tried this website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
Ok i get what i have to do etc to eligable for a green card to allow me to live and work in the u.s but i have a few questions:

1) if i manage to fynd a legal way, would you advise agaisnt the idea of me moving over on my own at the age of around 19ish

2) is there anywhere to really avoid?

£)what are all the ways to move out there?

the back story is that for as long as i can remember i have wanted to leave the U.K and move to the U.S for a number of reasons and i have now really had enough and am about to start seriously looking at how to get out. Does anyone have any information they can give me on moving over, have any of you done this? any general information at all would be extremely helpfull. Thank You in advance.

Check out this website and see if you can find the answers you are looking for. After you find your way through all the red tape, then consider areas you wish to move to and go to the different state forums in CD for assistance in deciding where to relocate. Hope this info will help you.

US Immigration | Green Cards

Old 01-02-2008, 12:30 PM

382 posts, read 1,068,833 times
I am so sorry. I forgot to include City Data's very own immigration forum. This forum may also help with questions you may have.

Immigration - City-Data Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions

Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
You need to work out the visa / green card thing. You also need to find work once you get here. Although there might be a way that you can come over here and work for a while waiting tables or something like that. It would give you a chance to have a look around and figure out your next move.

What about your education? Why aren't you going to college?

greenie

Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
To answer #1, I know of several people who moved to the United States at a very young age. In fact, this past semester, I met a girl who is 28 now but moved to the US when she was 19. She is in community college now, married and 2 kids. Loves it here. My father moved us here with a wife and 3 kids. If this is truly what you want to do, find a way to do it! Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues