Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2015, 03:15 PM

26 posts, read 56,175 times

Advertisements

Wife and I had been planning to move our family of 6 to boise from stockton. Major reasons are of course crime, taxes, regulations, high cost of living etc. Up until last week I had telecommuted for an out of state employer since 2008, as part of a large work force reduction (800+/-) I was laid off. I received a nice package that along with our savings can sustain us for 24 months if we're frugal. My wife has not worked out side of our home since 1999, our kids are home schooled, both cars are paid off, we have no major debt. I've never had an issue finding/keeping a job in my 53 years on the planet but, I do not want to return to the commuter life I did for 10 years driving to down town SF every day, too hard on me and the family.

Are we insane for packing up and moving, I know the job market in Idaho isn't silicon valley but honestly I am tired of chasing $ and would rather do something where I feel a contribution is being made and doing something I enjoy.

Worst case is buy a house using cash then your sustenance each month is 30/50% less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 03:25 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwan_kenobi View Post
Wife and I had been planning to move our family of 6 to boise from stockton.

I was laid off. I received a nice package that along with our savings
can sustain us for 24 months if we're frugal.
both cars are paid off, we have no major debt.
I've never had an issue finding/keeping a job in my 53 years

Are we insane for packing up and moving...
The insane part might be in having waited out joining the Stockton Exodus this long.
A year or two ago (and when still employed) would have been ideal.

The only warning I have is how you might define "sustain"...
That balanced against a willingness (for each of you) to do whatever you can
and from day one in order to not have to dip int that sack of "sustain" cash.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 PM

We have been talking about leaving for nearly 3 years but I could not get her to fully commit due to her mom still being in this area. This past February a shooting occurred in a parking lot my kids and I had just left, that was enough to get her on board. By sustain I mean food, clothing and housing for 24 months with no other income, obviously I am on the job hunt as of last week but, those things come along when they do.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
We have been talking about leaving for nearly 3 years...
ya; I saw your other posts

Quote:
By sustain I mean food, clothing and housing for 24 months with no other income...
I was specifically, if vaguely, hoping otherwise.

Like any unemployed person, even staying in the town they already live,
when this set of topics and questions comes up the advice is always:
plan/expect to have **something** going on to create income immediately.

Even if it isn't exactly what you would prefer to be doing it is buying X and Y if not also Z.
It's also getting you out there in the community making contacts and being known.

Quote:
...but, those things come along when they do.
Nope; they really don't. They come along when you chase them down and throw rocks at them.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:42 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
We have been talking about leaving for nearly 3 years but I could not get her to fully commit due to her mom still being in this area. This past February a shooting occurred in a parking lot my kids and I had just left, that was enough to get her on board. By sustain I mean food, clothing and housing for 24 months with no other income, obviously I am on the job hunt as of last week but, those things come along when they do.

Have you factored in medical insurance?

Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Sounds like you've thought it through. Any nibbles where you're going?

Old 04-06-2015, 03:23 AM

152 posts, read 208,926 times
Best of luck to you! I would do the same thing.

I'm working on leaving city with terrible economy & horrible job options. Wages fell so low, cannot even cover renting any longer. I'm right behind you but I'm moving to mid-west area.

I did the online work thing too...Will warn you, before you consider a smaller town, the internet may not run some of the enterprise websites due to actual bandwidth. Internet is provided by rural telephone cooperatives in some areas and speed is VASTLY overstated for residential services. You have to pay for business services at $300 a month to even run some online schooling platforms or you have to use cell tower internet services...Make sure you find internet provided from national company before you lock yourself into a lease even...Is local gotcha in some places and has run some out of business.

I'm heard some private internet services using privately own cell towers are stealing data in some areas so better you do some reading beforehand. [domain blocked due to spam].com is place where some discuss a lot of the town dirty business & skeletons...

Old 04-06-2015, 03:12 PM

389 posts, read 916,989 times
I would suggest that you hold off a bit longer before actually moving and take this time to look for jobs in the new location (both you and your wife). As a former stay-at-home mom, it may be very difficult for her to not only find a job, but be happy/content with a job outside of the home. She has probably spent many years caring for your household and kids, so this will be a big change for her (plus that fact that she didn't really want to move for so long).

Both of you are in agreement to leave. Take this time to join forces in your discussion of jobs, future home (rent? buy?), schools, etc.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:18 PM

Had a skype interview with the owner at a small firm today, went well and next steps are another Skype call with him and 2 other principals at the firm.

I am searching for positions in the area, no plans for the wife to return to the work force unless we're forced to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues