Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times

Advertisements

I would go with Albuquerque (no "a" in the word) of those choices and based on your further information. I lived in Northern NM and Northern AZ for many years, and I think it has the "perfect" weather in that it gets all four seasons, but they are relatively mild and dry.

Quote:
In any case, it has to be better than Phoenix!
Definitely better than Phoenix. Lots of sun, winters get snow (that melts off fairly quickly once the sun comes out) and cold enough weather, fall and spring are great, and summer isn't too incredibly hot (and, unlike some areas of the midwest/east, shade actually helps). All around great weather, imo. It's also in a location where you can do a lot of traveling to some pretty scenic areas around the southwest- maybe even a little more conveniently than you could from Phoenix.

I would definitely research the neighborhoods and schools you'd likely be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:02 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
Is Albaquerque really that hot? From what I have researched the July high is like 85-90. Yes a few days hotter and a few cooler. Maybe I'm wrong and it's hotter than I think. In any case, it has to be better than Phoenix!
It's too hot for me. 60 days a year over 90°F. But I guess compared to Phoenix, it wouldn't be so bad. You should probably figure out what temperature is best for you. Hot Albuquerque, cool Portland, or mixed Denver.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:33 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Albuquerque is not nearly as hot as Phoenix. I don't have or need an air conditioner -- use evaporative cooling instead at about $18 a month compared to $$$ for AC. It rarely hits 100 and humidity is single digits very often. July and August is the rainy season so humidity can go up. Always cool at night. We have four seasons with a little snow that lasts a few hours and then melts. It can get down into the teens on winter nights. I live at 5500 ft. and it is still cool until noon. Perceived heat is from bright sunlight at this elevation.

Schools are variable. Some are OK. Rio Rancho (west suburb) has pretty good schools. There are some charter schools. Another suburb is Los Lunas to the south. East side of the mountains is Edgewood but there is a longer commute and a different climate.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
The only city on that list that would even tempt me.....

Is San Jose....

But $1400 won't get ya much there.....

Old 05-16-2015, 07:54 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
Me personally would choose phoenix or portland. I like the climate and heat of phoenix but more so to visit sedona/flaggstaff around which is beautiful. Its also not far drive to CA, Nevada and new mexico. I also think it has a lot to offer. Portland I have heard a lot of good things about amd think is beautiful as well. I am someone who loves being outdoors. Not sure if I would like portlands climate so much though.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:57 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,007,329 times
Either Phoenix, Denver, or San Jose. Probably Phoenix if your budget is <= $1400/month (especially if your family is > 2 people).

If you move to Albuquerque, you should learn how to spell it.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:59 PM

136 posts, read 366,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Either Phoenix, Denver, or San Jose. Probably Phoenix if your budget is <= $1400/month (especially if your family is > 2 people).

If you move to Albuquerque, you should learn how to spell it.
Thanks for your opinion. I have learned how to spell Albuquerque from someone who knows how to respectfully talk to people. No need to be rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues