Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 AM

502 posts, read 1,740,154 times

Advertisements

Have you thought of selling some of your vehicles before the move? That is what we are planning to do, but then we are moving from the rust belt (NY) to the south. We are going to sell 2 of our 3 cars, and so them we'll just have a moving van and one car to drive down. As far as communicating "together" for the trip, I'd go with the radios. You can even get headsets for them I believe, and so you could really talk to each other along the way from the two vehicles. Other than being able to maybe hold hands or something, you wouldn't miss a lot in the experience, and you'd save a lot of money like you said. We too are selling most of our furniture, and will enoy replacing it in NC with new stuff. We are just keeping our dining room furniture and a few other odd pieces, because honestly the rest of our stuff is mostly junky anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM

186 posts, read 1,061,664 times
We moved from MO to TX about 6 years ago. Not cross country but still a move. Our movers loaded everything on a semi trailer (including my husband's truck!) and moved it. We left a couple hours after they did but we basically followed them to Texas and they unloaded all our stuff. All the boxes were sealed so we would have known if they opened them. They charged by weight I think. My husband's company covered the expense since we our move was job related. I can't think of the name of the company right now but it was one of the major moving companies.

Good luck!!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,330 times
Those old fashioned CB radios work pretty well. Years ago, my husband and I drove across the country in 2 vehicles and chatted as much as we liked on the CBs. Pretty good range even when we were out of sight of each other.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
We're a family of four preparing to move across the country (from WA to ME) and I was wondering what kind of options we truly have regarding moving our stuff.

We have whittled down our belongings to essential furniture and must-keep posessions, but we still have a good size load that'll fill a BIG moving truck.
We also have two new vehicles that have to be moved and we're planning on driving one of them across the country and somehow shipping the other.

Questions:

1) Any idea how we'd get the other vehicle over there? What kind service ships your car for you? Dh thought of maybe pulling one behind us but that seems like it would make that long trip really cumbersome and harder than it already would be.

2) Are there any honest moving companies anyone here has used that they would recommend? It makes me a little nervous turning over ALL our stuff to perfect strangers for a Big move like this!

3) Is it at all possible to do this kind of a move by ourselves (i.e. without a moving service)?? I keep racking my brain trying to think of ways to do ourselves, but I can't think of any way we could. Just would like to save as much money as we can.
Thanks, I appreciate all your helpful replies!
Do you have to be there on a specific date? Are you moving in the winter? How old are the kids (meaning no babies/toddlers)? Do you have some time to see some of the Northern part of this country on the way to your destination? If so, I'd let a mover take your stuff but drive both new cars across the state (May - Sept) with some suitcases (as if you were on vacation). Split the two kids between the two cars so you each have some company and they can communicate via cell phone with the other car. Stop at night in a motel or campground cabin (cheaper and you can wash clothes).

Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 AM

73 posts, read 307,047 times
Update: My husband has made tentative plans to use Upack to move our stuff and hubby plans to ride over in our pick up truck and pull our van behind us. (We don't want to sell our vehicles because they're both too new and we'd lose too much of our investment.)
The Upack folks quoted us about $5400 for 19' of space in a moving trailer that they will drive across the country (includes gas and $25,000 insurance) and we load it and unload it. Every foot of extra space will cost $268 I think.
They'll store it for us for $395/mo until we're ready to unload it. This is the best deal we could find so far for our needs.

Anyone else had experience with Upack? They seem to be a good company and are listed with the bbb.

My next question is:
is it going to be icy/snowy roads and conditions in March in Maine? Hubby thinks we'll need to drive the truck because it has 4 wheel drive for the snow and ice, but I was hoping to take our van so we'd have more room on the trip.

Someone please tell me the snow will be melting in Maine by March!

Thanks all!!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:21 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
When in March? the start of the month there is going to be snowfall just about everywhere in Maine. toward the end of March, just up north. Presque Isle/Caribou averages 19+ inches for March, while Portland averages 0.4 inches for March. This years has been very snowy so those may be way off.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:43 PM

19 inches?!?! Oh my. I'm wondering if the roads would be mostly cleared and dry?
We may be leaving here by March 1st, possibly putting us in Maine about 7-10 days later.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauty4ashes View Post
19 inches?!?! Oh my. I'm wondering if the roads would be mostly cleared and dry?
We may be leaving here by March 1st, possibly putting us in Maine about 7-10 days later.
In all my travels all over the country, I have never seen road crews better than in Maine. We can get 12-18" in a single snowfall and in 12 hours the roads are bare and dry usually.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Well, that is a comfort.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
i am to buy a boat in chiago need a heavy duty truck to pull this then drope it off in florida can ou help or send me to some one who can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues