Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM

128 posts, read 247,039 times

Advertisements

I'm only taking about 50% of the furniture I currently have, but I don't want to donate them yet if possible because I still occasionally use them - i.e. sofa set. Can I just put post its on items I'm taking when I get estimates from movers? I'm hoping they're able to give an estimate by eyeballing what I'm taking and can imagine the items with some "subtracted."

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
I was able to point out what was not going on the move.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:48 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
They'll do a room by room estimate with you and some may even take measurements of items. You can put "stickies" or post it notes on items you will or won't be taking to help you both remember what is "going" and "moving".

Old 02-29-2016, 06:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
In any event . . . Get the contract signed BEFORE they start loading the truck. I fell to a common scam where they load the truck and when its all done, say there was more than they thought. We had to put 1500 on a credit card, right then and there or suffer the litany of stuff they said they were going to do to get the "real" cost. All that stuff would have held the move up for over a week. Be very careful.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:58 AM

128 posts, read 247,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I was able to point out what was not going on the move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post
They'll do a room by room estimate with you and some may even take measurements of items. You can put "stickies" or post it notes on items you will or won't be taking to help you both remember what is "going" and "moving".

Thanks, I'm glad the post it note route will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
In any event . . . Get the contract signed BEFORE they start loading the truck. I fell to a common scam where they load the truck and when its all done, say there was more than they thought. We had to put 1500 on a credit card, right then and there or suffer the litany of stuff they said they were going to do to get the "real" cost. All that stuff would have held the move up for over a week. Be very careful.
Wow, thank you. Does the contract get signed several days before the move, or do you mean, sign it the day of prior to the beginning of the truck being loaded?

I'm so nervous after reading countless horror stories about movers...

Old 02-29-2016, 10:37 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times
It's individual as to how it works out. Our last move was paid for by the employer so money was not a consideration. The guy who came out to estimate it all did a lousy job estimating. I showed him everything. He messed it up. What we needed was a full truck by ourselves. What we got was a truck that was about 1/3rd of the way loaded and then they had to bring in a second truck to load the extra stuff. Because it was busy time of year, it took an extra week after the delivery of the first truck to get the second load delivered.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,254 times
We just went through the process of getting estimates for our move, and all 3 of the movers who came to our house had no problem with me pointing out various items, both furniture and otherwise, that were not going to make the move with us. For larger items there was no issue with this - they all end up being specifically identified on the inventory anyway.

I think the one area where there might be an issue is with large amounts of smaller things that are going to be packed in boxes. They were making judgments about how many boxes it would take to pack a closet full of stuff for example, and it might have been a little more accurate if they were only looking at what was going.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues