Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,864 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
I've been lurking around for way too long so I finally decided to register and get something out there.

Hubby and I are planning on (within the next 2 years maximum) moving. Somewhere. We've got our eye on a few places, and are narrowing it down with extensive research but no matter which direction we head, it's going to be long distance. We're in Texas and right now very seriously considering Washington.

I need some input from people with families, or experience moving families. We have two young children, 4 and 1 and downsizing will likely be a part of our planning over the course of time, but when it comes right down to it I'm just stumped on the massive undertaking of logistics. I've moved cross country, but that was in my younger SINGLE days. Here are a bunch of questions, if anyone could help it'd be much appreciated!

Questions:

Did you sell everything? If not, what did you keep? What things did you find that you were reluctant to part with, but once doing so found it was a good choice?

How well did your children handle parting with their "stuff" and/or their furniture (my oldest daughter has a thing with personalizing every bit of furniture she has so I worry about asking her to leave it behind)? What did you do to make it easier?

If you chose to move your stuff, how did you do it? Long-distance movers, renting a truck, PODS, etc? What was your experience? Would you do it differently if you had to do it again? How did you deal with the time discrepancy of not having immediate access to your furniture once arriving at your new location if using shipping services? (I've been told it can take 2-3 WEEKS to have things go from point A to point B - It'll take us 4 days max to get just about anywhere in the country.)

We don't have the opportunity to spend a lot of time going back and forth - We could swing one trip that would also double as our family vacation. Our work schedules are pretty well set in stone and (working in the medical field, both of us) it's nearly impossible to get time off. How would you suggest finding the a decent place to live, essentially sight unseen? We're in the market to buy as well, but would hate to buy a complete money pit - We're not afraid of fixer-uppers, but you get the point. Any pointers on arranging for a place to live and staying on a penny-pinching budget would be fantastic.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureMom View Post
What things did you find that you were reluctant to part with, but once doing so found it was a good choice?
Textbooks and hardback novels: They looked good on shelves. But all the information is available online if I ever need to look up something again. So I donated those to the public library. The shelves were then given to Goodwill.

Yearbooks: Large-sized and several pounds each. Rarely opened them. One day I flipped through them and saw there were only a few pages in each worth keeping. I could've detached those pages, but instead I scanned those pages into my computer and then donated those yearbooks to the library.

Trophies and other bulky mementos: I took digital photos of them before getting rid of them.

Work-career folders, binders, records, notes: Spent about 30-40 hours sorting, scanning, and then shredding/recycling them.

Couple hundred pounds gone!

Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
I donated probably 2/3 rds of my books. And, old school textbooks I had kept--got rid of them. Older clothes or even ones I just don't wear anymore. Older kitchenware items not using much. Old tools. Even certain decor items I knew I wouldn't use again (house specific) I got rid of. We had an estate guy come in for furniture, too. We used U-Pack for a cross country move and thhe last move we had so little stuff by then, we drove it in a truck. I hired a loader & unloader, too.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:06 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
OP, it looks like details really worry you! I'm not sure why you would be concerned about how your daughter is going to feel getting rid of stuff when it appears that neither you nor your partner has a solid job offer in another state at this point.

What I'm struggling to say in a nice way is don't fret about these tiny details. Get the job(s) first. After that, you take time off to house/apartment hunt. You then take whatever is reasonable and probably rent at first. You don't over-think this step -- take the first reasonable rental that fits with your time schedule.

Next, you figure out your moving budget. If you can only afford one POD (as an example) you prioritize and get rid of the rest the stuff, with some combination of selling and donation.

After that, you tell your daughter that you are moving and let her pick out several toys and outfits that she loves. If she cries and screams, hug her and explain that "life" is more important than "things" and show her that you are downsizing, too. After that, be parents. You are in charge, not her. If you are positive and don't allow melt-downs, she will get with the program. She's only 4! Move before she's a teenager. They can be extremely surly if uprooted for the first time at age 13 or so.

It's all logical and step-by-step.

I'll bet $1 that if you do move, it'll be to another part of TX, and all the fretting will be for nothing. Things will work out just fine! Move from the big issues (jobs) to the smaller issues in a sequential fashion. Don't spend time fretting about what hasn't happened yet and how hard it might be.

And if all of this is too hard, don't move! If you're not moving for better salaries or school systems or to be closer to beloved family members, you might be better off staying put. Moving is very expensive! You and your partner need to be 100% committed to this task.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,864 times
Job is mobile, so that's not an issue.
Guys thanks for some ideas.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 58,535 times
We moved from CA to TN a few years ago. We sold/donated a ton of stuff but decided to bring 80% of our stuff. We underestimated the truck size and at the last minute when push came to shove, things got left behind. Wouldn't you know it, all the garage and man tools got loaded first. Sofas and the dining room table were donated at the last minute. Hindsight we should have packed all the soft goods first. The second hand market has tons of tools, tables and hard goods but we really aren't the type to use 2nd hand couches and mattresses. While we waited for delivery, we used lawn chairs for weeks inside! Mattresses were picked up at Sam's Club after we unloaded but before we turned the truck in. Pack the TV cabinet and TV along with your desk and computer/printer so you can resume communications as soon as the provider can get there!

Old 05-01-2016, 03:10 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
You need to research the cost of living before you commit to Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues