Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 36,815 times

Advertisements

So I moved from NJ to AZ - but I still have things (pictures in frames, shoes, etc) in NJ that I'd like transported from my family's home in NJ to AZ. I'm thinking of shipping boxes, but I've never shipped boxes that far for something like this so I need advice. Do I try to do a few big boxes? How big? Or is it better to do a bunch of little boxes? Which is safest way? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 02:34 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Bunch of "smaller" boxes that don't weight to much.

Heavy boxes tend to get more damage then lighter (25lb or less)

Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
+1 on more small boxes rather than something big and heavy.

We shipped a lot of stuff for our cross country move via Amtrak(which was cheapest option by far) loaded up in the Lowe's small sized heavy duty boxes. They all made it through unscathed.
Shop Lowe's Small Heavy Duty Cardboard Moving Box (Actual 12-in x 16-in) at Lowes.com

Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
I don't know if they still do it, and if so, how cost effective it is now, but when my son went to college we shipped big boxes via Greyhound, from Miami, FL to New Haven, CT We had to take/pick them up from the station, but it was no biggie. We did the same exact thing when he returned back to MIA. I know we had some kind of student discount at that time. Worth looking in to to see if they still do it, and the cost from point A to point B.

BTW, the way up and back, all his stuff arrived, no problem, and even before we got there. I once shipped a chandelier to someone in another state the same way.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:50 PM

414 posts, read 400,589 times
On one move, I shipped my boxes back home (lots of books in liqueur cases) via UPS. They picked them up from my house, held them until I was ready to receive them in the next location and delivered them to my home. Wonderful service and not overly expensive.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emptynester1 View Post
On one move, I shipped my boxes back home (lots of books in liqueur cases) via UPS. They picked them up from my house, held them until I was ready to receive them in the next location and delivered them to my home. Wonderful service and not overly expensive.
When I move this is what I intend to do with books. No need to fill the truck and hear about all those books if I don't need to. What's the best kind of boxes and how do you get liqueur boxes in an area where you have to go to a store for it? Maybe I should call them and ask they save them for me.

I'm also taking my shelves off the wall and disassembling them. Easy to put them back together. It sounds like an excellent idea to have them shipped in a way everything will be peaceful.

I was going to post a question about this so thank you for beating me to it!

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-22-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues