Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 130,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanATVL View Post
Pro Mover here.

We often times move dressers that do have clothes within them. Be sure to remove anything that isnt clothes - Jewelry, pictures, random objects. Sometimes we require these to be emptied just because of how the piece needs to be handled within the house, (On end, On its side, at an angle, Ect) but leaving clothes in is not a big deal.

I would refrain from using too much stretch wrap on the dresser. You'll want the Dresser and Pads to breath. Any mildew or moisture that is trapped inside will cause water damage on the dresser, and could cause the pads to stick to the finish.
I appreciate your professional perspective, Dan. Thank you for taking the time to chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 03:25 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Who's doing the lifting? They may want it empty....my movers did.
I've moved many times and always emptied my dressers. But then, I didn't have professional movers. My friends and I did the moving and I emptied drawers to make the pieces as lightweight as possible. If pros were doing the job, I'd have left the clothes in the drawers.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I've moved many times and always emptied my dressers. But then, I didn't have professional movers. My friends and I did the moving and I emptied drawers to make the pieces as lightweight as possible. If pros were doing the job, I'd have left the clothes in the drawers.

Well, my hope and plan is to hire some professional to move it into a trailer (from U-Pack) or such.

That's my hope anyway!

Thank you for your input, PJSinger!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:11 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,099,376 times
I had my house professionally moved. As one person already mentioned, the movers said I could leave clothes in, but not small, breakable items or ones that could "migrate" if the chest was on its side. Actually, my sewing machine desk, whose drawers have nothing but small items, also was moved with its contents, but I put everything into ziplock bags first, then back into the drawers (no fragile items, though.) This was approved by my mover.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:23 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Our movers told us - leave your clothes in the drawers. We will remove the full drawers before we move the dresser. Once the (empty) dresser is in the truck, we will move the full drawers back to the dresser.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Okay, I'll say it. I've been thinking it and this thread is sticking around.

You have to have lots of suitcases and plenty of make-up cases! Don't forget the shoes!!!

(my brain keeps thinking "MOVING A CROSS-DRESSER")

Old 11-11-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Okay, I'll say it. I've been thinking it and this thread is sticking around.

You have to have lots of suitcases and plenty of make-up cases! Don't forget the shoes!!!

(my brain keeps thinking "MOVING A CROSS-DRESSER")
You.

Get out.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:42 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times

You really moooove me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues