Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 PM

10 posts, read 11,684 times

Advertisements

On this topic how do you know if somthings worth it?

My main example: My teaching collection. I have a ton of kids books and a ton of reference books. I may teach post move or I may go into law
Another item: Fish tanks! Not normal looking ones but the smaller 2 or less gallon ones that I use for gardening and my beta/ snail addiction.
funiture- if its not sentimental should i keep it?

were 1.5 years off a move and I believe in being prepared!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
I have downsized to the point where I now just fill up a small studio apartment. That said, there are some things I just don't want to have to replace and it's worth it to me to relocate them rather than start all over. They're not worth a ton of money, but they allow me to function well even in a small space, and I just like them. Especially my old, soft bed.

If I go ahead and move these things with me, then I know I can instantly set up a comfortable place with stuff that functions well for me, and are things I love. It's like taking home with me, wherever I go.

I don't have fish tanks now, only because of the tiny space I'm in. But, I do know it's hard to get a new tank set up. It takes time to get the whole biological system going. And if you love your tank set-up and the fish in it, that is hard to let go of and start all over.

I guess it boils down to whether or not moving your favorite stuff/wet pets is something you can afford to do. I am personally going to have to save for almost a year, to be able to afford to move my "home" from where I am now to wherever I move to next. But, it's that important to me that I move these things with me. It would be difficult and expensive to replace them with new things I would find comfortable and functional, etc.

So, just to give you one vote for moving things you love with you, if you can find a way to do it, that's what I do. And I'm really low income. But, it's so nice when you're completely exhausted and the movers have left, to get into your familiar chair and put your feet up on your familiar ottoman, then climb into your familiar, comfortable bed. Then, get up and have your favorite kitchen table in place. And put up your familiar and well-loved art on the walls. Presto! Instant home with stuff you know and love. There's just a lot of comfort in that.

If you just love to purge everything and start over, that's another story. I have done that, too, many times. But, now that I'm older, I just love to take my home with me when I move. It makes the transition easier.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:53 AM

I dont have to pay for moving my stuff! my moms a sweet woman and dosent want to be without me! Im low income too so cost to replace worries me. I know i can at least replace the couch and bed cheap.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:53 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbabyb View Post
I dont have to pay for moving my stuff! my moms a sweet woman and dosent want to be without me! Im low income too so cost to replace worries me. I know i can at least replace the couch and bed cheap.
Yeah, see that's a reason I move my stuff with me, too. Most of the stuff I still have was purchased new, or are cool old antiques (not worth anything as antiques, but they are functional pieces that also happen to be fun to look at) that would be expensive to find again. If it's basically a wash, money-wise to move what you already have and love vs. starting over from scratch, then it doesn't seem worth it to me.

When I've moved before, I moved my fish with me. I put the fish in buckets with their tank water and put a lid on it. They were really swished around, but they all made it. When I retired, though, there was nowhere to put a tank in my studio apartment, so my ex got custody of them :-)

Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 AM

how far did you move with your fish? Ive got two treasured cories that I wanna keep!

Old 01-24-2017, 02:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
I get rid of anything that hasn't been used in a year or will be used in the next year. And also some stuff I currently use haha

Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,236,445 times
These things aren't substantial enough that you will save anything really in the cost of your move, if you discard them. Distance movers charge by weight, usually in hundred-pound increments, and local movers charge by the hour. So financially, there's probably no advantage to discarding them.

Are any of the reference books out of print? Is the information still relevant? How long has it been since you used them? For reference books I'm not sure one year is reasonable time frame. These books are typically expensive and even if you only refer to them once every few years they are still valuable to have around.

As for the fish tanks, if you keep them, how will you move them? How many do you have? You can't put them on the moving truck. So it really comes down to how much space is in your car (assuming you are driving yourself) and whether or not you need that space for other things (like kids, suitcases, etc.).

Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
These things aren't substantial enough that you will save anything really in the cost of your move, if you discard them. Distance movers charge by weight, usually in hundred-pound increments, and local movers charge by the hour. So financially, there's probably no advantage to discarding them.

Are any of the reference books out of print? Is the information still relevant? How long has it been since you used them? For reference books I'm not sure one year is reasonable time frame. These books are typically expensive and even if you only refer to them once every few years they are still valuable to have around.

As for the fish tanks, if you keep them, how will you move them? How many do you have? You can't put them on the moving truck. So it really comes down to how much space is in your car (assuming you are driving yourself) and whether or not you need that space for other things (like kids, suitcases, etc.).
Most of the books are still relevant and useful. I have tons of criminal justice books. The fish tanks would be empty (I tend to use them for pond life projects and humidity.) the one tank that has my two fish will travel in our ford explorer. We will be 5 people travling with a car and explorer. The explorer will be filled: We have a combined total of 7 cats, a dog, 2 fish a turtle and a beloved chicken.

Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
I keep family heirlooms and furniture that has special meaning to me. The #1 thing I downsized is my book collection. I had boxes and boxes of books from college and general leisure books. After moving 3 times, I later realized that I NEVER even unpacked the boxes. after each move. Before I made my last move, I donated them to the local library.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:30 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
I have large, difficult to move family heirlooms that are beautiful, but they bring up terrible memories and looking at them fills me with sadness.

Disposing of them has been one of the most difficult tasks to selling my childhood home. Giving away these things often leaves me in tears, although I figured why would I pay money to bring the sadness with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues