Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 10:27 AM

73 posts, read 113,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Go to Home Depot, get 1" x 4"s and 1" x 1", and sheets of plywood and build a strong framed box, place cardboard over the screen, and wrap the TV in copious layers of Bubble wrap and then box the entire set.

Then it will be more like moving furniture.

Mark it fragile and give it a dollar value ($3,000?) for the move insurance,
Please keep in mind, Your Professional Mover does not offer you insurance. The protection plans that all movers offer are only an extension of liability.

Carrier Liability by law is $0.60 per lb, per article. Say a 20lb dining room chair is completely destroyed. Your mover is legally required to reimburse you with at least a $12.00 check.

Any other protection plans that they offer is only an extension of liability. These are not insurance policies....
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
I'm facing a similar situation with a 78" curved screen TV that was delivered & installed by Best Buy and they took the box when they left -- I didnt think to keep it. For $99 the Geek Squad says they will pack and dismount my TV for the move. But I have to come up with the box. I am having a heck of a time coming up with a box or crate. Moving company wants $1000 to crate it.

I bought the TV and soundbar 23 months ago for over $6K. I would be lucky to get $2K for it if I sold it used on Craigslist. But, prices have dropped and I probably can get a new similar TV for $4K. Hummmm.....still processing all this.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,326,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phl2011 View Post
Hello,

I am moving from CT to Texas and one of the big price tags in my moving estimate is removing my 84" TV from the wall stand, crate it and uncrate it at the destination.

Everything is currently estimated @ $1,100

I don't believe I can do it myself, so I would have to quote a 3rd party directly to see if I could get a lower price just for this piece.

Has anybody gone through something similar - what are the options?

Thanks,

PL
I know it's too late, but we keep the original packaging for items like this. We have two 70 inch TVs, and the original packaging for both is in our basement because we're military and move a lot.

I'm not sure but you might be able to contact the manufacturer and see if they'll send you empty packaging.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:59 AM

73 posts, read 113,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I'm facing a similar situation with a 78" curved screen TV that was delivered & installed by Best Buy and they took the box when they left -- I didnt think to keep it. For $99 the Geek Squad says they will pack and dismount my TV for the move. But I have to come up with the box. I am having a heck of a time coming up with a box or crate. Moving company wants $1000 to crate it.

I bought the TV and soundbar 23 months ago for over $6K. I would be lucky to get $2K for it if I sold it used on Craigslist. But, prices have dropped and I probably can get a new similar TV for $4K. Hummmm.....still processing all this.
There are Universal TV Boxes that Moving Companies and U-Haul distributors have, however, these boxes only fit TV's up to 60"

Aside from crating, You would need to contact BestBuy to see if they have any spare boxes from current floor model TV's.

If your moving company crates the TV, Any damage sustained to it will be protected. This is not the case if you pack the TV yourself unless if Gross Negligence is shown.

I would highly suggest that you crate this with your moving company, mainly due to the Curve in your TV. Improper packing could cause pressure points on the TV, and it could bend/chip/snap.

Best of Luck

Old 02-04-2017, 10:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
In addition, you can purchase or rent a professional Art Work picture container. I have seen them as big as 4 feet by 8 feet and they are much thicker, so a curved TV wouldn't be an issue.

heere are some examples:
Masterpak - Masterpak Art Shipping Boxes and Masterpak Art Shipping Containers
https://airfloatsys.com/strongbox/

Plus retail shipping places like the UPS Stores can pack an item for you.

For added security and protection, you can also crate the boxed unit if you like.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:59 PM

Curved screen TV is 15" deep and the options for art shipping boxes are not deep enough

Old 02-06-2017, 03:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phl2011 View Post
Hello,

I am moving from CT to Texas and one of the big price tags in my moving estimate is removing my 84" TV from the wall stand, crate it and uncrate it at the destination.

Everything is currently estimated @ $1,100

I don't believe I can do it myself, so I would have to quote a 3rd party directly to see if I could get a lower price just for this piece.

Has anybody gone through something similar - what are the options?

Thanks,

PL
Where is the original box?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Where is the original box?
Best Buy took it with them when they installed the TV and they don't have one now to sell or give me.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:55 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Best Buy took it with them when they installed the TV and they don't have one now to sell or give me.
Don't let that happen next time. Sell the TV, and replace it on the other end.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 AM

94 posts, read 202,310 times
Sell the television and don't move it. List it yourself. The buyers pick it up from you and figure out how to move it properly.

Sell it by itself or include it in your house sale. I have seem more homes for sale that include huge and other WALL televisions because the sellers do NOT want to move them. Size, cost involved and future (?) damage even with moving insurance.

If you can't sell it and if the new owners of your house do NOT want such a large tv... put it with an auction house and have them pick it up OR donate it and have a local charity pick it up and give you a receipt if you itemize your taxes.

Some charities do not even accept televisions even if they are newer and in good working condition.

Buy a much smaller television when you get to your new home.

Cate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues