Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 02:25 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Before you move everything I hope you check out your new place, make sure it's what you want. If it's an apartment look over the lease agreement for what you can and can't do. Some don't allow pets. You may have one. It's stuff like that you need to check into.

Safety is a big concern anywhere you move. You should look at the area, talk to neighbors, the local store, and get an idea. You might want some sort of apartment insurance. You might want to change the locks on your doors. You need to find out what you can do and if you'll be comfortable there.

Some things to add --- these days most (if not all) landlords won't rent an apartment to a tenant unless the tenant shows proof of renters' insurance.

Some landlords won't allow tenants to change the locks. Apartment complex employees tend to have a master key so that in an emergency (pipe leaking into apt. below, for example) they can get in. That said, you can ask the landlord if they can change the lock for you---they may even routinely change locks when a new resident moves in.

Good idea about talking to neighbors. Also, when you're out and about and come across an approachable person, tell him/her that you're planning to move there. Ask them if they like living there. If someone hates a place, they tend to freely tell others. If you see a police officer, ask him/her about crime and safety. We did just that when we were visiting a place that we ended up deciding to move there. The place got a bad rap because of a couple of crappy neighborhoods. The officer told us it was all overblown and that there are plenty of decent places to live. Other residents told us the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 07:51 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Tips on functionality in picking furniture.
Go to a second hand store to acquire some furniture pieces.......learn how to refurbish. Its that touch of style you can turn it into.
I got a dinette set...$75.00 from an estate sale. Beautiful piece with 10$ in supplies to redo it.
Its been a delight to call it my own.
would advise though...Couches ...or anything with "stuffing" be gotten NEW. Yet even then, they can be acquired thru Furniture outlets.

Congrats on planning ahead, budgeting and stocking up on the small things.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 PM

560 posts, read 452,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Tips on functionality in picking furniture.
Go to a second hand store to acquire some furniture pieces.......learn how to refurbish. Its that touch of style you can turn it into.
I got a dinette set...$75.00 from an estate sale. Beautiful piece with 10$ in supplies to redo it.
Its been a delight to call it my own.
would advise though...Couches ...or anything with "stuffing" be gotten NEW. Yet even then, they can be acquired thru Furniture outlets.

Congrats on planning ahead, budgeting and stocking up on the small things.
Thank you! Yes, my one friend got her couch from craiglist for like 25 bucks and I swore that couch was the most horrible thing. I plan on buying that kind of stuff new. Same if I decide to upgrade the size of my bed.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Some things to add --- these days most (if not all) landlords won't rent an apartment to a tenant unless the tenant shows proof of renters' insurance.

Some landlords won't allow tenants to change the locks. Apartment complex employees tend to have a master key so that in an emergency (pipe leaking into apt. below, for example) they can get in. That said, you can ask the landlord if they can change the lock for you---they may even routinely change locks when a new resident moves in.

Good idea about talking to neighbors. Also, when you're out and about and come across an approachable person, tell him/her that you're planning to move there. Ask them if they like living there. If someone hates a place, they tend to freely tell others. If you see a police officer, ask him/her about crime and safety. We did just that when we were visiting a place that we ended up deciding to move there. The place got a bad rap because of a couple of crappy neighborhoods. The officer told us it was all overblown and that there are plenty of decent places to live. Other residents told us the same thing.
Thank you! Yes, renters insurance. I knew I forgot something on my list. I see it everywhere that you need it, but forgot to budget for it.

I didn't think you could change the locks at complexes like you said I thought the complexes had to have a way in for emergency reasons.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you! Yes, my one friend got her couch from craiglist for like 25 bucks and I swore that couch was the most horrible thing. I plan on buying that kind of stuff new. Same if I decide to upgrade the size of my bed.
My rule is buy new mattresses & get new upholstery done on any old upholstered pieces.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Personally, I wouldn't get cable for quite a while until I was more established. Sock any money that would have been going towards that into savings, you never know when you will have an emergency and need more money.

Take the basics. Don't furnish your apartment right away either. Tables, chairs, couches, etc., are nice, but they tie you down. You may want to move again in a year or so. I'm not saying don't buy anything, but keep in mind this place is probably not permanent. Keep your belongings manageable.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Personally, I wouldn't get cable for quite a while until I was more established. Sock any money that would have been going towards that into savings, you never know when you will have an emergency and need more money.

Take the basics. Don't furnish your apartment right away either. Tables, chairs, couches, etc., are nice, but they tie you down. You may want to move again in a year or so. I'm not saying don't buy anything, but keep in mind this place is probably not permanent. Keep your belongings manageable.
Thanks! Two of the apartments include the Internet/Cable so that's a plus. The other ones I was just looking for Internet cause I can just use Netflix.

I just have a twin bed and a desk as furniture right now. I would probably get a couch because my family will come visit and I will need a place for them to sit haha. Most places I looked at have that breakfast bar thing so I could get away with bar stools and no table!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:15 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you! Yes, renters insurance. I knew I forgot something on my list. I see it everywhere that you need it, but forgot to budget for it.

I didn't think you could change the locks at complexes like you said I thought the complexes had to have a way in for emergency reasons.
You're welcome. I commend you for doing your homework before moving.

I do agree with others who said to buy couches and beds new. You never know if used ones are infested with bed bugs.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You're welcome. I commend you for doing your homework before moving.

I do agree with others who said to buy couches and beds new. You never know if used ones are infested with bed bugs.
Thanks I don't want to jump into a move without a plan or having tried to get everything all figured out. So I will work on my budget and save until I get a job and can move.

My dad has instill a fear of bed bugs in me. So no way I would buy a mattress that isn't new. Never know what's crawling on an used mattress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues