Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,443 times

Advertisements

No, I would not lock the door to the room after hearing all of the above responses....but seriously, no one likes the idea of a (temporary) simple screen? With a nice note explaining "this temporary screen is here to keep the kitties from getting underfoot as you view the house" (wink, wink). The room in question is a small, plain bedroom with one small closet. One dresser, one plant table. You can see all of the walls and windows and everything from the doorway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 02:09 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Honestly, and maybe others disagree, I think it makes it the one thing you'll remember about the house. If there are a lot of houses on the market and the impression you leave with potential buyers is "That weird house with the cat fence" they might well forget about your beautiful back yard or the lovely kitchen.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I put ours in larger bird/aviary cages and made a play pen out of it. Worked great.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
No, I would not lock the door to the room after hearing all of the above responses....but seriously, no one likes the idea of a (temporary) simple screen? With a nice note explaining "this temporary screen is here to keep the kitties from getting underfoot as you view the house" (wink, wink). The room in question is a small, plain bedroom with one small closet. One dresser, one plant table. You can see all of the walls and windows and everything from the doorway!
A house is the most expensive thing most people will ever buy. It may seem like no big deal to you, as it is a simple room, but would YOU buy the most expensive thing you'll ever buy if you didn't have free access to ALL of it?
I looked in EVERY closet and opened every cabinet when I was home hunting. It's just part of getting the feel of a place and deciding whether it could be "home."

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Honestly, and maybe others disagree, I think it makes it the one thing you'll remember about the house. If there are a lot of houses on the market and the impression you leave with potential buyers is "That weird house with the cat fence" they might well forget about your beautiful back yard or the lovely kitchen.
It's true, there are so many houses to look at, some will just move right on. It's hard enough selling your house without giving up opportunities.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:34 AM

150 posts, read 725,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Good idea, I would make sure that room was locked and no agent would have a key. Too many people are too dumb, too careless, or just malignant and I wouldn't trust agents or lookers to do the right thing with the cats.
Set up a couple of motion-activated video cameras and stash the recorder somewhere it can't be gotten easily.
Post lots of pictures of the cat room they can't see. That way they will know what they're missing.
This should not be a deal breaker if folks want the house.
I would not trust strangers with access to our cats. Period.
Maybe not such a good idea after readig all the posts - oh what to do, what do do!

Wow this is a great idea! I also have three cats and I was wondering what the heck to do with them while I'm at work and the house is being shown. I am also willing (if I am home) to load the three of them up in my car and take them to a nearby lake and sit and wait in the car, but your idea seems to be the better of the two. I have to run this by my real estate agent and see what she thinks

Last edited by Frangi914; 03-15-2008 at 03:49 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 AM

Arrrrrgggghhhh!! This is sooo frustrating! My realtor actually LIKES the idea of the screen, as long is there is a note explaining why it's there. I am told homes in my area are on the market for an average of 9 months. So obviously it is not practical to consider loaning the cats out to a friend or a kennel. They HAVE to stay in the house, even during showings. I have to work full-time, so I cannot be there to monitor the situation.
I would trust MY agent to be sure the cats didn't get out, but not any buyers agent that I don't know! Too many horror stories of people leaving doors open as they look around the house. I cannot take a chance that the cats might get out and be killed/lost. What if I screened off HALF of the room, so that buyers could actually enter the room, and see that the screened half only contains 3 sleeping kitties, and nothing else? Or does anyone have any PRACTICAL ideas?? (I have to expect in this market it may take a looong time to sell.)

Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Well kitty, I don't have cats and don't know about cats' habits, but it looks like oobie's suggestion of crating them in the garage is your best bet. Our wire crate for a large dog was only $80. I don't know if cats need to be free to go to the litter box and can't hold it in like dogs do in a crate.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
This is what we did...just sold our house (YAY!!) We have 5 cats that stay inside...however, we have an outside enclosure that we built...they access it through the cellar window. Anyway, I either put them out there and had the realtor let them in when she left, OR I went home (yes, I work full-time...I would take it as my lunch time) and put them out in the pen.

Good luck to you...it is kind of a predicament, but maybe you can use your break to go home for your cats.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

323 posts, read 1,390,476 times
How about a large cage adapted to have access to another cage for the litter box. They can hang out (sleep) in one cage covered with a light cotton sheet with a few holes. You can cover the other cage with the litter boxes with a blanket. Or have someone build something like this with wood 2by4s and chicken wire. Maybe they'll be active all night once they are free to roam the house. Try some kitty herbs that calms and soft music. Give them a big meal before you leave the house. Get a house sitter, maybe. Just some rambling thoughts however weird. Leave a sign at the designated room stating that people should be quiet near and in that room too which is important.
Too bad you can't always use the same trusted agent of your choice that you know is reliable.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM

I finally came up with a solution. Some people may not like it, but I think it will work out ok. I have a couple large pieces of clear plexiglass that are about 5 foot high. I plan on making a simple, thin wooden 'frame' on the edges of the plexiglass, so that the two pieces will make half of a square, and that will be the barrier after you get through the bedroom door.(attatched to the door frame) Buyers will be able to enter the doorway of the room (and will be able to see all four walls and the entire room) A note will be up explaining that: "This temporary barrier is in place to keep the kitties from getting underfoot as you tour the home, as well as making sure they do not get out, since they are 'indoor only' pets"
(I didn't describe it very well, but it will appear unobtrusive, buyers can see the entire room, and the cats will stay safe and out of the way!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues