Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:44 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Buy an archival quality thumb drive that's meant to store photos.
No such bird, all of those thumb drives tend to fail, and will eventually, they are cheaply made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 11:47 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post

We got boxes of old photos after my in-laws passed away. Lots of the photos were houses and scenery. I plan to throw those away as I doubt they mean much other than maybe to my in-laws when they were still alive.
Plenty of people sell such photos on Ebay, someone finds photos they like and save them, and you make some money on them instead of trashing them.
If nothing else, drop them off at a goodwill store or give them to an antique/book shop who like the one I used to shop at had a box of "instant ancestors" a bunch of old photos for $1 each.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:57 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
If one has no scanner available, another option is simply to take photos of the photos using a smartphone or a tablet.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:26 AM

604 posts, read 839,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Use a photo scanning service like: Photo Scanning Services | Picture Scanning Service | VistaPix

You send them a box of photos and they do the rest.
Thanks for the idea? Have you used the service?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:45 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
True. I'm thinking I can go through them now and get rid of anything like photos of scenery. That will weed out about 1/3. I guess I could mail the others to my sister and we could take it on as a family project. That may make it a little less painful.
This is an excellent idea! If you can add another family member or two, even better. Make a party out of it.

When my mother passed, I had five huge photo albums full, plus several boxes of loose photos in envelopes. I had abut 7 boxes and 1 photo album of my own.

I did a quick cull of hers and mine over several nights. My criteria was "genealogy photos" -- I tried to pull 5 - 7 photos of every relative in various stages of life that showed something significant, like the military photos and the high school / college graduation photos. I didn't keep endless birthday party or trip photos, unless it was a group shot somewhere significant, like my uncle's family in France.

I also kept a few of the "family house" shots.

Then I started scanning and sending them out to family.

I'm still in the process of scanning and building two new photo albums, but this project went from "far to many" to something more manageable, probably around 800 pictures from . . . 4000? hard to say. What's left is labeled, so at least there are names, locations, and the date, as close as I can guess. I'm trying to think 4 or so generations ahead when someone might be looking back: what will they most want to know about Great-great-grandma?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:07 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm also getting ready to move, and have started digitizing the photos I want to keep. I put them on my computer hard drive, and backed them up to an external hard drive, with everything else on the computer. Also put my wedding video on there, so I don't have to pack more stuff!
This is great.
I'd also email everything to myself (and another family member--in case of my demise) so it is on the cloud. Plus I'd put an extra hard drive off site in a bank safe deposit box & update it periodically. In event of fire, flood, natural disaster, etc.-- it would be a shame after that effort to lose it.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:40 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
Keep them. You'll need them some day.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:14 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
you could also put the digitized pix on DVDs, and watch them on your TV or computer.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:32 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Old Kodachrome print photos will fade to pastel no matter what you do. That company deserved to crash for foisting poor technology on the world.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:00 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
For my mom's 80th birthday her niece took an old picture of her with her husband, her two brothers-in-law and their wives (all dead now) and a friend from New Years Eve and made it into an 11x14 for her and put it in a beautiful frame. My cousin wasn't sure who the friend was but figured my mother knew. Turned out nobody knew who this woman was. She was just sitting at their table for the New Year's Eve bash. We got quite the laugh out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues