Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM

765 posts, read 473,339 times

Advertisements

rent a room from a private homeowner or put out ads in newspapers in the city you are moving to as a prospective roommate. there are lots and lots of elderly women or men who are living in the same home their whole lives, even after the kids left home, had their own kids.

the elderly or even sometimes a handicapped person, a working jamook who needs extra money to buy a new car, whatever, there are tons of people out there who will rent a room in their house and give you kitchen privileges.

i had to relocate very fast to North Carolina when i found out my cancer returned, and was living on the eastern shore of VA that had only one hospital, and it was a notorious death trap....so everyone not closer to Norfolk chose to drive the 70 or more miles up to Salisbury MD for a real hospital with real cancer treatment. but i had no health insurance and didn't feel like dying.

i opted for a clinical trial of a new drug at Duke instead, and over the holiday season, took a trip down to Raleigh to scope out where i would want to live, and before i went down there, i put an ad in two newspapers for a room wanted, online ads on craigslist and a few tweets asking for a room to rent and i had more people than i could handle over a five day period..... it was like everyone needed a roommate. I took a really nice room with an elderly lady who was so grateful to get the extra money, she cooked three meals a day for me, did my laundry. I would do it again if i had to pull up stakes again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 PM

480 posts, read 316,432 times
There are some decent deals on AirBnB places that rent weekly.
However, almost none will let you stay for longer than 4 weeks, because it turns into a landlord/tenant relationship, and state laws come into play.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:23 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hear people talk about moving somewhere without a job lined out due to companies only hiring local candidates, blah blah. Serious question. Who rents to you if you don't have proof of income or employment? Not once have I rented a place without that info and I've lived in three states. Curious what the experience is of other people.
There are also apartment complexes that offer short term, usually 6 month leases and are furnished.

Presumably, an individual moving without a job has some money saved. They require a larger deposit and security, as well as amenities.

And as another poster wrote "money talks".

Old 08-08-2018, 05:11 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are also apartment complexes that offer short term, usually 6 month leases and are furnished.

Presumably, an individual moving without a job has some money saved. They require a larger deposit and security, as well as amenities.

And as another poster wrote "money talks".
I did not have to pay a deposit. Deposits are required from people with bad credit. I paid a small nominal fee.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Plenty of people move without a job.

College students for one.

You just need a lot of savings. I would not move without a job without a several year cushion built up.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:21 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Some tips for Extended Stay type hotels:

If you stay longer than 30 consecutive days, usually they waive the hotel tax, which can be upwards of 20%

Do check out discounts, like AAA, AARP, etc. You can take out a basic membership for a month or two, then cancel per the membership agreement. Usually you get the entire membership amount refunded, even if you have used it. Such discounts are usually 10%--20%.

Also search for online codes for discounts. You might be able to stack codes, along with AAA discounts, etc doesn't hurt to try.

Realize many local employers recognize the local Extended Stay addresses.

The ES motels may seem expensive, but realize no deposits are required, no utility deposits, and usually your utilities, TV Internet, local phone are included.
I've always had a job lined up prior to moving, so I can't offer much help with that. However, I do have experience with Extended Stays...

--Go for the longest rate you can afford. You'll definitely get discounts for weekly or monthly rates, if available

--If possible, consider staying at a Crosslands Economy Suites
They're cheaper to the tune of roughly $190 per week vs. $466 per week (off the top of my head)
Fewer amenities, but you make due. CES is just one, smallish room, ES has a room that you can actually run around in. Former doesn't have a lobby. Latter does. Latter also offers breakfast like oatmeal and muffins, but I just got FF, or toasted my own bread with spreads (there were supermarkets nearby)

Old 08-08-2018, 07:51 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,568,534 times
I haven't moved in a long time but a credit report, first month, last month and security deposit up front were all I needed. It helps if you had a good relationship with your previous landlord and didn't move from place to place frequently.

You also might have better luck with landlords who own and live on the property because they want someone they personally like since you will be their neighbor. A large, impersonal apartment complex owned by a corporation is only interested in numbers.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:49 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I hear people talk about moving somewhere without a job lined out due to companies only hiring local candidates, blah blah. Serious question. Who rents to you if you don't have proof of income or employment? Not once have I rented a place without that info and I've lived in three states. Curious what the experience is of other people.
a landlord rented to me without a job or income or proof of employment. there was no proof of employment because i had no job. He asked me where I worked and I said "I haven't decided yet if i am going to work at the university, or at the hospital." I believe he rented to me because he felt I would take good care of the duplex. He had 7 different rental properties, and I have had more than one landlord tell me they prefer renting to women instead of men because they take better care and are neater, and I always tell landlords (truthfully) that I have a quiet lifestyle with quiet hobbies, no smoking no drinking no drugs no parties no pets, in my spare time read study sew spend time in nature.

this has happened more than once that i have not had a job and have been able to rent a duplex or triplex. I believe experienced landlords with their own properties know that it is important to get a good tenant in that won't trash the place and is responsible, and i believe these landlords trust their experience and their instincts in recognizing a good tenant when they see one.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Plenty of people move without a job.

College students for one.

You just need a lot of savings. I would not move without a job without a several year cushion built up.
several year cushion? are you serious?
how about 1-2 MONTHS cushion more like it.

curiously the one time i showed the landlord I had enough savings for TWO YEARS of rent, and I was self-employed, they declined to rent to me. bizarre.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:28 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
We've got a similar situation. We're retired, and don't have a lot of income. We have great credit, no debt, and money in the bank, but apartment managers won't rent to us because all they look at is income.

We luckily found some people buying a house who needed to get out of their lease. Management wouldn't let us sublet because we didn't meet income, but they let us pretend to be roommates with the lease holders, who have moved out.

We also lived in hotels and Airbnbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues