Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM

505 posts, read 584,345 times

Advertisements

How long do you stay for a first time visit to a city that you might relocate to? What are the top things to visit and review on such a visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:46 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Where I get a good job is where I go, other factors are secondary.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have been visiting possible retirement cities for 3 years so far, and have another four years before we sell and move. A lot can change over time so we go back to the same short list cities over and over. We have talked to realtors, but also look at the shopping and medical availability, and recreation. We go to the various big supermarkets and especially Walmarts and malls if there is one, to get an idea of the “weird vs normal” people. We also drive around the residential areas to see what the neighborhoods are like, and take fliers on homes for sale, and see how the cell reception is. By the time we visit we have already looked up much of the demographics including crime rates.

Old 08-29-2018, 06:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
How long do you stay for a first time visit to a city that you might relocate to? What are the top things to visit and review on such a visit?
It took four days but I was clear in what I was looking for. You are the only person that can answer that. Why do you want to relocate? What makes you comfortable? What are you missing? What do you expect to gain? I caution you against emotional moves. The novelty wears off after a few weeks. You have to be able to take the good with the bad. Good luck!

Old 08-29-2018, 06:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I agree with the others. It depends on why you want to relocate.

If you've been offered a job upgrade, your research can be done online and by being honest with yourself - what temperatures can you tolerate, how much solitude/crowdedness do you prefer, housing costs, etc.

If you're thinking about retiring somewhere and you have years to contemplate that, it's a different process.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
I agree with what's been posted.

Here's what I did when I was in my 30s: I flew to the target city for a long weekend (Friday to Monday evening). I tried to stay in a B & B or at least a locally owned hotel.

I avoided doing tourist stuff.

I went to the grocery stores (looked at prices, what was available), went to local events (farmer's market, festivals), ate in cafes, locally owned restaurants, read/collected apartment for rent magazines (free from the racks of many grocery stores chains), looked at the outside of some of those apartments, visited churches, drove around some of the neighborhoods, stopped and talked with residents who were out working on lawns. Basically, talked to everyone I could about what they liked and disliked about the area.

Watched the local news. Read the local newspaper.

On Monday, I made it a point to drive around the area during rush hour so I could see how bad that was.

In general I knew by the second day if I really disliked a place. For example, I love playing tourist in Denver, but I wouldn't like living there full-time. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't spent time shopping, visiting churches, and trying to do activities I do at home. On the other hand, I've felt very comfortable in most of the Midwestern cities I visited.

Retirement is another ballgame entirely. Good hospitals, a reasonable cost of living, and at least a half-decent local economy top my list. I've already seen a lot of the country, and I'm staying put for now.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I agree with what's been posted.

Here's what I did when I was in my 30s: I flew to the target city for a long weekend (Friday to Monday evening). I tried to stay in a B & B or at least a locally owned hotel.

I avoided doing tourist stuff.

I went to the grocery stores (looked at prices, what was available), went to local events (farmer's market, festivals), ate in cafes, locally owned restaurants, read/collected apartment for rent magazines (free from the racks of many grocery stores chains), looked at the outside of some of those apartments, visited churches, drove around some of the neighborhoods, stopped and talked with residents who were out working on lawns. Basically, talked to everyone I could about what they liked and disliked about the area.

Watched the local news. Read the local newspaper.

On Monday, I made it a point to drive around the area during rush hour so I could see how bad that was.

In general I knew by the second day if I really disliked a place. For example, I love playing tourist in Denver, but I wouldn't like living there full-time. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't spent time shopping, visiting churches, and trying to do activities I do at home. On the other hand, I've felt very comfortable in most of the Midwestern cities I visited.

Retirement is another ballgame entirely. Good hospitals, a reasonable cost of living, and at least a half-decent local economy top my list. I've already seen a lot of the country, and I'm staying put for now.
This is good. I did simliar things but you were a lot more thorough.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
How long do you stay for a first time visit to a city that you might relocate to?
A whole lot more time than a tourist visit will allow.

Quote:
What are the top things to visit and review on such a visit?
Real job opportunities are at the top of the list.
All the rest hinge on that really being there.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:03 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree with the others. It depends on why you want to relocate.

If you've been offered a job upgrade, your research can be done online and by being honest with yourself - what temperatures can you tolerate, how much solitude/crowdedness do you prefer, housing costs, etc.

If you're thinking about retiring somewhere and you have years to contemplate that, it's a different process.
Yes, I agree that it depends on why you want to move. The past few times I have moved, I have spent very little time in the various cities. One time I had been overnight twice for the job interviews. The next move was basically a drive through where I just decided I liked the feel of the place and wanted to live there after vacationing about 30 minutes away and then bought a home there when I got a job offer at an office about 8 miles away, and the most current move was to a suburb I’d never visited before but to a city I’d wanted to move to for a while. I didn’t end up liking city #1, loved place #2, and place #3 was okay but I ended up moving to another suburb later (rented there) that I liked better.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:25 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
It didn't take me long once I visited but, that was after researching via CD & asking many questions of people who lived in the places I was investigating.

I chose quickly as my main issue was getting away from the cold and snow of Minnesota. Then I had to think of allergies, health care and cost of living. I knew I could live reasonably on social security so, even though my apartment costs more here, everything else was cheaper, so it worked out.

I am content where I moved to, outside Sierra Vista, A Z but haven't explored as much as I should. There's a lot to see in Arizona! I am amazed.

I visited during the summer and it was helpful that Minnesota had a dreary, cloudy summer at the time so I relished the sunshine and heat. Also, the sunsets and sunrises are spectacular here. That helped me make up my mind.

If I had contemplated moving while still working, which I didn't because I had a good job, it would have taken longer as you have to consider employment and cost of living. Getting a better paying job with housing and/or transportation being unreasonable wouldn't cut it.

But, if I had done that, I would have spent at least a week or two checking things out after investigating via internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues