Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 04:08 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times

Advertisements

We're moving soon and it brought up an old memory (over 12 years ago) of the moving company guy presenting us with a much bigger bill than we had been quoted. We had no experience with long-distance moving and although we put up some resistance ended up paying about $500 more (they wanted $1000 more).

This was from a "name" company which I won't name because I might get it wrong (due to passage of time and not having proof).

Funny that both my hubby and I had the same thought this week because he said he'd seen an investigative report about this scam being done in Canada. That led me to google the subject and I found out that this is not legal and we should NOT have paid anything extra than quoted and agreed to. But when someone says they won't unload your stuff without payment you give in.

Has it happened to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 08:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
When we moved from California to Washington in 1993, the movers estimated $1,100. We were not required to pay on arrival, the bill was mailed later, and based on the actual weight. It was more than double, $2,300. We fought it with a lot of time consuming letters to state attorney generals and the Interstate Transportation Commission and eventually got it reduced to $1,500. As it turns out, at the time, a quote is based on someone coming to the hose to look at your stuff, and they can only exceed it by 10%. If an estimate is made by phone based on what you tell them, they can exceed it by any amount. Our complaint was that they had not told us this and we had a lot of books (heavy).

Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
We had no problems. Our experience was good. We interviewed several movers and we checked reviews on the local BBB site. We signed a contract, and we payed in advance. The move was expensive, but it went smoothly.

The contract states obligations for both customer and mover. We were assigned a contact person, who we could check with if we had questions.

We got three months of free furniture storage, and a guarantee of delivery within a finite number of weeks.

Movers are local operators. Even though my experience with a mover under a national name was good, this does not guarantee equally good experience with same company in a different city. Seek out references, interview multiple companies, and make sure there are guarantees that safeguard your interests.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM

275 posts, read 285,651 times
Silibran - so even if I hire a national company the "local" division may have different rules?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,081,130 times
Yep. That's why next time I move I'll be doing pods. Moving companies know they have you by the b@llz and there's do-do you can do about it.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:26 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
Silibran - so even if I hire a national company the "local" division may have different rules?
Not exactly....if you hire Joe Blow Moving, Agents for Anybody Van Lines, and you move interstate (across state lines) your move will fall under Anybody Van Lines authority. If you move intrastate (within the same state) then Joe Blow Moving has the authority and rules.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:24 PM

Hemlock140
That is interesting (even if it's a long time ago). Impressive that you got money back!

My concern is movers having our furniture and "holding us up" for more money over the agreed amount.
We will definitely get a quote from 2 movers and read the fine print in their contracts.
Won't be overcharged this time.

Also going to look for moving insurance coverage since I've read how ridiculously low movers insurance pays for damage or loss.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:26 PM

silibran
Nice to hear of a trouble free move!
We're moving from Southwest Florida to Charlotte NC.

Was BBB the only review site you used?
We use google maps for local business reviews but for national/intrastate movers that would not be useful.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:11 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
OP, you might find some useful info & reviews here:

https://www.movingscam.com/

Old 08-08-2019, 04:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,860 times
Happened twice. The first time, money was not tight, they padded on an extra $700.
Different move, different company: held us plus our last few expensive items (coincidence - I think not!) for an extra $500 or so.
Did homework in both prior and still got the screw.
Never again. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues