Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2019, 10:33 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
That’s what I did. But keep an eye out for bills etc. Some mail gets held up by the buyer of your house not quickly forwarding. Then some will stall at the inlaws. So either call billing companies to find out what you owe or at least have a check list to make sure you don’t miss stuff. After a couple months at the final address it should be ok except you will be getting that seller’s mail occasionally for a while.
The buyer of the house doesn't do the forwarding, the post office does. The only time the buyer might get mail is after the forwarding request expires (which I believe is one year) or if the mail is addressed to you or current occupant (junk mail). I only started to get mail for our seller over a year after we moved in. Prior to that it was just the junk addressed to him or current occupant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Just an idea-

We live full time in our RV and use a mail forwarding service. I have all my mail sent there and then go online every few weeks and have them send it to wherever I am. Sometimes that is General Delivery at the local post office.

There are many options and price points for this service.
We have used this option for years and would never do anything else. Any other service you use has a time limit on how long they will collect mail for you. Even a US postoffice box will often cancel your box if it is unopened for more than 30 days

A mail receiving service lets you know immediately by email when you have received a piece of mail and sends you a picture of the envelope so you can see who it's from. You can tell them if you want to discard it, or just do nothing and they will hold it until you ask for it to be sent to you, wherever you are in the world.

For us, it's the perfect solution because we winter away for months and often are traveling. They provide you with your own personal address, and you can use it as your address for banking or other business situations, or you can have mail forwarded to that address - your choice. We do a combination of both.

You can find many companies that do this - just google "mail receiving service."

Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,585 times
The UPS store has boxes you can rent. You have a physical address followed by #.
You can access 24/7 too. I used this when I was staying with friends for 3 months while
looking for a place.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:17 PM

914 posts, read 642,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
I'm planning to sell my house and move in with the in laws until we actually move out of state. What's the best way to get your mail? Can I have them hold it at the post office until I complete my move to the new state?
Mail delivery service can be very poor. For that reason I've gone paperless except for DMV which apparently does not believe in sending digital mail. For those few items that require hardcopy, I have them sent to a PO Box which costs about $60+ per year.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues