Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:30 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,968,473 times

Advertisements

We have a cross country move that will take place once restrictions are lifted. The moving company can actually do the move now but my husband and I want to wait until more restrictions are lifted for our personal travel. We always tip our movers but in recent years our moves have been local and took place in one day (pick up and delivery.) My questions is should we tip at the beginning of the cross country move or at the end (it could be a week between pick up and delivery) and also, is there a customary percentage to use to figure out the amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:00 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
With all of our long distance moves the driver has used local help to assist with the load. Usually it's just the driver and maybe one other who stays with the truck/van from beginning to end. So, because the driver has to pay the local help, we tip on that origin load end and on the unload end when there's local help at the destination.

I don't know if there's a customary percentage. Anyone else chime in on that? We have always filled a 52' van, so it's a day-long job from 6-8 hours. We supply breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day and tip about $10 per hour per person, doubling it for the driver. That's on both ends.

Just a FYI that a relative just made a move from Texas to New England this past week ... a convoy of a RV and a U-Haul towing a car. No issues at all, but they were self-contained and not in need of public restrooms nor restaurants. It was a bit odd traveling on major highways through big cities and having no traffic around them.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
With all of our long distance moves the driver has used local help to assist with the load. Usually it's just the driver and maybe one other who stays with the truck/van from beginning to end. So, because the driver has to pay the local help, we tip on that origin load end and on the unload end when there's local help at the destination.

I don't know if there's a customary percentage. Anyone else chime in on that? We have always filled a 52' van, so it's a day-long job from 6-8 hours. We supply breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day and tip about $10 per hour per person, doubling it for the driver. That's on both ends.

Just a FYI that a relative just made a move from Texas to New England this past week ... a convoy of a RV and a U-Haul towing a car. No issues at all, but they were self-contained and not in need of public restrooms nor restaurants. It was a bit odd traveling on major highways through big cities and having no traffic around them.
Thx Mawi, that's helpful info! You're right about a local company starting the process and working with the national company for the cross country move. Our contact person - the one who did the estimate - mentioned that the two companies work together. We'll have drinks and food for them and of course they'll have access to our bathrooms. I have a friend who won't let delivery personnel use her bathrooms and that just bugs me to no end.
Being self contained in an RV would be lovely and hubby and I had even discussed doing that since we're traveling with three dogs, but having no experience driving one we opted for just waiting a bit longer. The hotels that we're planning to stay at along the way are taking reservations with the caveat that new or different quarantine rules can apply at any time.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:14 PM

172 posts, read 145,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Thx Mawi, that's helpful info! You're right about a local company starting the process and working with the national company for the cross country move. Our contact person - the one who did the estimate - mentioned that the two companies work together. We'll have drinks and food for them and of course they'll have access to our bathrooms. I have a friend who won't let delivery personnel use her bathrooms and that just bugs me to no end.
Being self contained in an RV would be lovely and hubby and I had even discussed doing that since we're traveling with three dogs, but having no experience driving one we opted for just waiting a bit longer. The hotels that we're planning to stay at along the way are taking reservations with the caveat that new or different quarantine rules can apply at any time.
My son and I are driving to our new state next week with 3 dogs. Are you finding hotels that will take 3? I found one but not sure we will make it to that point. My backup plan is 2 rooms since my son is 17.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't want my maiden voyage driving a RV to be a cross country move in which I'd have to keep going and going even if I had decided nope don't like driving a RV! Since you can wait this out, good plan.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
My son and I are driving to our new state next week with 3 dogs. Are you finding hotels that will take 3? I found one but not sure we will make it to that point. My backup plan is 2 rooms since my son is 17.
Depending how truly animal friendly a hotel (or chain) is, they might be willing to overlook the third dog, especially if their hotel is quite empty. Better a paid room with three dogs than an empty room. Good to have the backup plan of getting two rooms should the hotel be adamant about a maximum number per room. I don't recommend sneaking the third dog in ... it pays to be honest in the long run.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedteach17 View Post
Individual hotels within a chain can have differing policies but I've found that quite a few Westins and Kimptons
allow for three dogs. If you want to stay at a hotel that has a two dog minimum you can always call ahead and speak with the manager (plead your case) and at the "manager's discretion" they might give you permission ahead of time.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,186 times
Tipping after paying $8K for a long distance move? Sorry, don't think so.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:22 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Your driver is an independent contractor, his truck is painted with the company colors and name but he is the owner of the truck and usually drives alone. He gets his help from the local agent and must pay each individual no less than $18 per hour with a 4-hour minimum usually more.

Your driver is responsible for loading and unloading and sometimes packing. All of the expenses fall on the driver who receives the least amount of the moving cost. If he is good and takes good care of your belongings show him gratitude about $100 at the destination he deserves it.

Old 04-29-2020, 01:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
I did a long distance move, but it was unique in a couple of ways.

I used a local mover with an outstanding reputation for local and long distance move. He had first class equipment and was very familiar with long distance moves. So, not being part of a national chain, was unique.

He also used his own crew. They loaded over two days, drove three days with the same crew, and unloaded over two days with the same crew. As is usual they put everything in the proper room, per our direction or box/plan marking, and they assembled those things like beds/mirrors to dressers, etc.

Everything was perfectly wrapped in furniture blankets, then cardboard, and then a plastic wrap. Nothing was damaged/dented/scratched in the move. Pros to a "T".

We provided food/snacks/drinks.

We tipped $100 per man on each end. That was about 5% of the cost of the move. Worth every penny. And the crew was ecstatic.

You can go cheap, but you get cheap. Guys that don't care, guys that don't put down blankets on your floor and guys that don't take their shoes off or put on "booties" when they are in your house. Our driver/owner would have none of that and chewed them out if they slipped up in any manner.

100% satisfied. The owner was happy. The crew was happy too.

FYI: The truck goes back empty. He will NOT take a load from a middleman or from some other company where he has not packed/loaded the truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues