Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 08:46 AM

189 posts, read 309,203 times

Advertisements

When I've made some long distance moves in the past, from one apartment to another, I never felt I had enough time to thoroughly check out the apartment complex that I was moving to. Was mainly looking for something I could afford, which was close to my new job, and overall seemed to be in good condition and in a safe area.

This was before the days of online reviews and I ended up in some places where maintenance was slow to respond. Other times walls were thin, not noticeable when I toured the apartment in the daytime and most neighbors were away.

With that said, if I were ever moving to another apartment complex, I'd do so with the mindset that I might be there for one year only, and if things did not work out well I may have to start making a careful search for another place a few months before the lease runs out.

Just going to ad that while I look at online reviews now for products and businesses, I know they are far from perfect. Some people have unrealistic expectations, and the review only tells their version of the story.

Another think to look for, no matter what type of place you move to, always look at how much storage space it has, and consider how much stuff you have to store. Closet space is easy to look for, but consider if you have a basement full of holiday decorations or other stuff, where will that go at the new place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 09:56 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
If at all possible, paint before you move in. Pick out the color scheme you want and just get it done. Once you get furniture in the house, painting is a pain. If you ding up some walls moving in after you've painted you will have fresh touch up paint to use as needed.

Old 04-01-2023, 10:00 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Leave behind furniture that isn't worth paying to move. Scan and toss papers - paper is heavy and takes up space. Don't keep things you feel obligated to keep - think those items relatives gave you as 'family items' that no one else wants but are somehow supposed to be 'precious' to you.

And it's all up to you, but if I were to move again, I would pack everything myself and use pods. Professional movers don't care, aren't trained, and want to rush through everything. I would hire helpers for the heavy stuff but that's it.
When we move next we will only be taking a fraction of our current furniture with us. The rest will be sold, donated or trashed. Whatever is appropriate. We'll keep some family treasures but what we keep will be easily transportable.

Old 04-01-2023, 09:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post

This was before the days of online reviews and I ended up in some places where maintenance was slow to respond. Other times walls were thin, not noticeable when I toured the apartment in the daytime and most neighbors were away.

Glad you posted this. I had a nightmare experience at one place and thankfully since online reviews existed, I could warn others. That was my only recourse.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:47 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
When we move next we will only be taking a fraction of our current furniture with us. The rest will be sold, donated or trashed. Whatever is appropriate. We'll keep some family treasures but what we keep will be easily transportable.
I've posted this before, but want to stress this.

People spend a fortune moving furniture that is old, out of style, or otherwise doesn't work with their new place. Even if its a little more expensive, we've found that the stress level of selling furnished (or selling pieces at the old home) and buying pieces that specifically fit the style and space of a new home works much better.

Old 04-02-2023, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Make sure the movers send someone out to see what you have and give a written estimate. If they ballpark it based on the size of your house, it could end up being much more when they weight the truck. We had that happen due to the number of books and tools we had, it was 30% more than the estimate.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:54 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
The "insurance" is rigged. The moving company chooses the insurance appraiser.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:39 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If at all possible, paint before you move in. Pick out the color scheme you want and just get it done. Once you get furniture in the house, painting is a pain. If you ding up some walls moving in after you've painted you will have fresh touch up paint to use as needed.
Excellent idea. Think about replacing floor coverings as well.

If you can stand it, taking possession of your new house a few days before moving your stuff in can make your new place a lot more appealing.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:04 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
If you're moving your belongings in a rental truck/van, secure the rental at least one day in advance. I recall being stuck on moving day without a rental through no fault of my own. Rental places overbook their vehicles like airlines overbook plane seats.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:40 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Things you wish you had known. Stop hoarding stuff you will never use or sell. Now you're forced to deal with ALL of this junk now.
That is a toughie because you never know what awaits for you down the line.........just that when you have to move it then it is a royal pain!

I agree with start early. Face it that you are moving, that your life as you have known it has to be disassembled and put elsewhere.

If you are going to contract movers, START EARLY! Find out who, how they move, what they will move, and maybe, give lots of time for a backup plan should they flake out on you.

Pack early, first the stuff you are going to move yourself to include packing it in what it is going to be moved in. Our eyes are often bigger than our trunks and at the end of the day, when the movers are gone, when we are exhausted, it is something of a panic attack when we see how much is left.

I always provide refreshment in the frig for my movers. Sometimes it works and is much appreciated; sometimes, they don't know what it is and toss it. To the latter, I saw my drinks be hauled out by the daughter of the crew and tossed away because, I guess, they saw any food left behind as trashed. In either case, take it as you bought it for them, and whether they drink it or toss it, it is their stuff now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Maybe I should've phrased the question differently. I didn't only mean moving in the literal sense of moving your objects.

I also meant living in a new environment, being financially stable, making friends, etc.
Sorry, don't have much of a suggestion on that but I guess being a solitary person, it was just accepted to let the cards fall as they might.

Two things on the side of that, though: when I moved and had pets, I tried to find someplace to room them away from the move. When it was between apartments, my cat went to live with my Mom for a few days. When it was across town, they were moved to the house first, a few days ahead of the major move and then locked in a do not enter room of the house. With the ranch, they were firmly in place in the ranch house when the big move came from town. The basic thing is.......home is where the pets are.

When I lived in the apartments, I had "camouflage security". My complex was at low end of the economic scale, I banked on crooks thinking, "Those who live there, what would they have to steal?".

When I moved out, though, all my goods were on display. So when I moved into the rental, one of the new items on moving display was.......the biggest, heaviest gun safe I could afford.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 04-08-2023 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues