Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 05:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Why the hell would you move without a job? That's just idiotic. Also researching the area should go without saying.
Some moves are due to extreme emergencies.

Trust me, no one wants to have to start over like that, but it happens.

P.S. Consider a donation to The Red Cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 01:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,520,666 times
Quote:
Why the hell would you move without a job? That's just idiotic. Also researching the area should go without saying.
Some people create jobs or work for themselves

Old 02-18-2024, 10:26 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Things that I've learned to do after moving a whole bunch of times...

Use storage units if you need to. When I have moved locally, I would get one and pack up and put most of my "stuff" into it, so that on actual moving day, the movers just needed to haul my heavy furniture from one place to another for me, then I can get the furniture placed as I want and take my time unloading the stuff from storage. This really helps if you don't have extra storage space in your home like a garage or something. It can also give you time to do repairs and deep cleaning in the old/new homes if you need to.

We also had to move to AZ expecting to only be here for a limited number of years to help an elderly relative, after which the plan is to return to CO where we lived before. We got a storage unit in CO and left most of our stuff behind. No sense in hauling it to AZ and back.

And yes, downsize as much as possible.

If renting - proceed with intense paranoia always. Go in and very carefully inspect every inch of your new rented home. Take excruciatingly detailed notes. Document everything down to the tiniest of dings or scratches. If it needs to be fixed (like appliance issues) get the maintenance request in immediately. This will take time, and it will be work, but you need to do it. Once you have a complete list of every imperfection you can find, make TWO copies of it, and take it to the leasing office. Sign both and have the office manager sign both. You keep one, they keep one.

I have had two instances where landlords, when it was move out time and I asked if they had their copy of my report on the defects of the place when I moved in, told me that no they had no idea what I was talking about. I was able to say, "That's OK, I still have my copy that you signed."

I use rugs to avoid causing damage to flooring, and I spackle all nail holes from anything I hung on a wall.

Never try to be sneaky with a pet you aren't supposed to have. If your pet is worth having, they are worth paying for. If you can't afford pet rent and pet deposits, you can't afford to have pets. Do not be shocked that most places if they allow a pet at all, only allow dogs and cats and even then, a limited number and limited breeds. This is common.

You can move to an area without a job secured IF you have another income stream or savings that will get you by, and depending on your expenses. For instance, a military spouse will often not have a job when arriving at a new duty station, but their partner has their military income so they can take some time and find something. The last time I had to get a new job because of a move, it took 4 months. I had researched the area and already identified the company I really wanted to work for. After that, it was a matter of persuading them to hire me. This worked back in 2012, don't know if it would now, and also...I was extremely qualified. The worst instance of trying to find work in a new place was a year of temp jobs while job hunting, while trying to juggle my kids in and out of daycare... You do need to at least have a good idea of the job market and a good number of prospects lined up on arrival. Some employers will not consider you a serious applicant if you don't yet have a local address.

If you have to wait upon arrival to secure a job before renting an apartment, a short term living situation can sometimes be found, especially in the off season, by looking on AirBnB. This can be more affordable than trying to stay in an extended stay hotel/motel, depending on the area. But we'd be talking a matter of weeks, maybe up to about 2 months. Your stuff would need to be in storage while you do this. So clearly you'd need to stockpile some cash before trying to do something like this.

I would never buy a home sight unseen, but I'm OK with renting a place sight unseen. There are enough reviews online that you can get a decent idea of what a place is like more or less, and your typical lease is only for a year. At the end of the year, if you don't like it...you can move. No big deal really.

Do keep in mind certain considerations like moving to an area that gets a lot of snow if you aren't used to driving in it or dealing with it. If you are used to using public transportation, understand that even if a city has a bus system, they are not all created equal.

As for making friends, the best suggestion I have for that is the same one I put out there in any forum when anyone asks about making friends as an adult. Find some activity that you enjoy enough to join a group that does it regularly, then start going and keep going. Book club, sports, pool league, trivia night at a local bar, hiking meetup, card and tabletop games at gaming shops, etc. Specific to moving - understand that there are regional attitudes that differ across the US and probably even more so internationally. It can take a bit of time to acclimate. I have found that when I first move to a new place, sometimes it feels like people don't get my jokes, like I'm not on the same conversational wavelength as others, I feel odd and awkward like I just don't fit, even if I had tons of friends at my previous home. Give it time. 1-2 years, I've found.

EDIT - Also, if you are a renter (and OP it sounds like you are)...know your tenants' rights and what pursuit of legal remedy would look like if you had to deal with it. Read up on this about anywhere you think of moving. I can tell you right now that there are management companies who are absolutely in the business of trying to rip off young and inexperienced renters, I've seen some things with my older son's situations. That whole "get it signed, get your copy" thing goes for any important document. Including, too, the notice you have to give that you're moving out. Last LL my son rented from "lost" the notice they gave and tried to bill them for an extra 60 days at a high penalty rate after they were out, saying they didn't get notice.

Old 02-18-2024, 11:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Fresh start. I've done it several times throughout my life, which doesn't revolve around work or a career, and have taken a few 6-12 month hiatuses in between jobs. When I've lost interest in or gotten fed up with living somewhere I'm usually naturally drawn to someplace new and unknown, with a different culture, climate, or whatever. I've always moved with enough savings to support myself until I'm sure I like an area and its prospects, and want to settle there. Then I look for work or a means of income.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:25 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Fresh start. I've done it several times throughout my life, which doesn't revolve around work or a career, and have taken a few 6-12 month hiatuses in between jobs. When I've lost interest in or gotten fed up with living somewhere I'm usually naturally drawn to someplace new and unknown, with a different culture, climate, or whatever. I've always moved with enough savings to support myself until I'm sure I like an area and its prospects, and want to settle there. Then I look for work or a means of income.
Gotta say, I never did exactly this, it was always some family reason that caused me to move from one place to another...but I have found that because I've moved to a whole new state a number of times, it is like that. It feels like a fresh start. And even though the last place I lived, I did get attached to, part of me also did feel ready to "move on," live somewhere different for a while. I don't know how it's gonna be to put down roots as we plan to. To get a house we intend to spend the rest of our lives in. It's a little mind blowing for me, honestly.

The other thing is, every time I moved and had to get a new job, though it took a year in one place and 4 months in another, I got MUCH higher pay each time. As long as you're growing your experience in the same field with good references in the rear-view, it can often be a big step up to jump companies every several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues