Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 07:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times

Advertisements

Leave behind furniture that isn't worth paying to move. Scan and toss papers - paper is heavy and takes up space. Don't keep things you feel obligated to keep - think those items relatives gave you as 'family items' that no one else wants but are somehow supposed to be 'precious' to you.

And it's all up to you, but if I were to move again, I would pack everything myself and use pods. Professional movers don't care, aren't trained, and want to rush through everything. I would hire helpers for the heavy stuff but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 12:39 PM

846 posts, read 681,244 times
Maybe I should've phrased the question differently. I didn't only mean moving in the literal sense of moving your objects.

I also meant living in a new environment, being financially stable, making friends, etc.

Old 02-19-2023, 12:43 PM

899 posts, read 670,073 times
My tip for making friends is this: if you don't have a dog, get one. Then go to the dog park. At ours, people chat a lot. We meet lots of people there. Another alternative, if you're amenable, is to go to a church (synagogue, mosque, etc.).

Old 02-19-2023, 06:29 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
Be honest with yourself. If you are moving cross country and have IKEA furniture, it's going to be cheaper to re-buy than move it. That exercise equipment you never use, you probably still won't use.

In so far as packing, I set a schedule and start a month or two early. I commit an hour after work every day to packing (podcasts, music, audible, and the like all make time go by quickly. Bonus if you have a favorite podcast and only allow yourself to listen while packing!)

Buy boxes in bulk (Costco, Home Depot, Lowes..) You will need far more than you ever expected.

Talk to your vet if you are moving with pets. Have a plan for them and their mental well-being.

If able, hire movers and tip well.

If moving within same town, do a short term rental of a safe deposit box for important papers. Also consider a storage unit for fragile items. There are great promos on the first month.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:58 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Maybe I should've phrased the question differently. I didn't only mean moving in the literal sense of moving your objects.

I also meant living in a new environment, being financially stable, making friends, etc.
Join social groups that do stuff you enjoy. If you like to hike, or sew, or read, you can probably find a group of people with similar interests to hang with.

Some places even have groups for newcomers, to help you learn about your new town and neighbors.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Honestly, avoid driving at night.

You tend to be more likely to miss freeway exits, or be unable to find a rest stop or parking lot to take a road trip break in.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:42 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I had to clean and stage my houses before I moved so I did a lot of packing and getting rid of stuff before the professional movers ever showed up. I gathered valuables and important paperwork up before the movers ever showed up and dealt with it. If anything got stolen, I never missed it.

Go outside. Walk around your new neighborhood in the evening. We met people the first week.

If you have a new build or a yard with no trees, get some trees, shrubs and other plants in the ground that first year during the appropriate planting season. If you have to sell after three years like we did three different times, the trees in your yard will have three years of growth and some nice curb appeal.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:28 PM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Cut everything you think you want in half and get rid of it before you move.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Cut everything you think you want in half and get rid of it before you move.
So much this.

I kept a storage unit for many months and finally had the realization that I was wasting cash by storing items I had zero realistic use for in the future. LOL

BTW by donating items you don't want, you brighten the lives of others. Many people who are struggling with monthly expenses furnish their homes with second hand items, and do appreciate the kindness of others.

Also an important tip for cross country moves- account for all passengers after stops at rest stops, motels, and gas stations. Seriously.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:58 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Be honest with yourself. If you are moving cross country and have IKEA furniture, it's going to be cheaper to re-buy than move it. That exercise equipment you never use, you probably still won't use.

In so far as packing, I set a schedule and start a month or two early. I commit an hour after work every day to packing (podcasts, music, audible, and the like all make time go by quickly. Bonus if you have a favorite podcast and only allow yourself to listen while packing!)

Buy boxes in bulk (Costco, Home Depot, Lowes..) You will need far more than you ever expected.

Talk to your vet if you are moving with pets. Have a plan for them and their mental well-being.

If able, hire movers and tip well.

If moving within same town, do a short term rental of a safe deposit box for important papers. Also consider a storage unit for fragile items. There are great promos on the first month.
And LABEL all the boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues