Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 06:31 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times

Advertisements

We've always moved our refrigerators. It becomes the garage refrigerator for the next place. We use a big cooler for drinks for the moving crew. I bought orange juice for my kids. My movers drank it. My kids didn't care. Turns out the movers like options that aren't the same soft drinks they always get.

Clean out and unplug and air out your refrigerator a couple of days before hand if you are moving it. I had cleaned mine, but it was all moldy when I got here just because of the moisture inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 02:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
That it takes at least but probably more then 6 months for it to feel like home

Before you rent or buy a home go to the regular places you will visit like restaurants and grocery stores to get a feel for the area nearby

I’m noise sensitive so I always make sure there are no trains or airports nearby that I can hear on a regular basis

I moved a lot in the past and things have gotten broken. There is only so much you can do but if something is very fragile remind the movers to be extra careful or if it’s small move it yourself

Old 04-13-2023, 01:47 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
My number one tip is to avoid professional packers and pack everything yourself.
I agree with you however I ended up needing physical therapy for my hands when we arrived because I did such a great job packing small items, wrapping them in cardboard and taping them. Haven't ever needed PT for hands before and I am a painter and woodworker used to work so that's a heads up for people that do have problem hands. Nothing at all was broken that I packed. My hands recovered and are fine now.

Because movers charge for volume they will tend to overpack in larger boxes which will cost you more in several ways.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 04-13-2023 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-13-2023, 02:00 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Take your most valuable items in your car when you move.
I made the mistake of putting one of my favorite leather jackets in the clothing box (yes labelled as clothes) and jacket was stolen by movers. It was just before Christmas so...

"Valuable" can also mean photo albums, family china from grandparents, anything irreplaceable. Things can get lost as well as stolen.

On our truck delivery they tried to give us a box that didn't belong to us. In advance I asked specifically if our shipment would be "only our items" and was told "absolutely yes only yours" because it was direct from our previous house to our new one and we had to dive like heck to get there by the time the truck arrived 1200 miles.

That was a lie, there were 2 other peoples stuff on our truck. They obviously had those on the truck before loading ours and actually ran out of room on the very large truck and had to get another truck come for the rest of our boxes and furniture which then arrived 2 days later. This was a very well known national company.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:23 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,628,159 times
I made a cross-country move a number of years ago and had never driven a moving truck before. Because of that, I rented one that was really too small to hold everything I really wanted to take. I gave away and donated things that I still regret to this day, and just had to replace other things when I got to my destination, like beds and mattresses, and some furniture, vacuum, etc. which was expensive to do.

Driving a moving truck is actually very easy, and my tip is don't feel so overwhelmed that you short yourself and don't take the things you really want to keep. Get a bigger truck.

Old 04-14-2023, 05:14 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
When we moved from a rural area to town (only 20 miles away). I packed dishes, mugs and glasses like they were going on a ride across the country on unpaved roads. It took me forever to unwrap/unpack everything.

If I had to do it again, I'd just wedge the glasses and mugs together in a box with some tea towels, and tape plates together into a stack with no padding needed. (put a fragile sign on the box)

Old 05-07-2023, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 6,924 times
We just moved last year and the best thing we did is consult a moving guide like this one: https://threemovers.com/moving-checklist/ Having a timeframe of what to do and when was very helpful since there's things that you'll inevitably overlook and have to scramble to do at the last minute. Knowing that you have all your bases covered is a real stress relief when moving day arrives.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:42 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,581,430 times
What I learned -

Start early with packing your stuff, do a little bit each week, so it's not overwhelming. Also, have your stuff packed and ready when movers show up. I've helped family and friends move and every time, they are still not all packed. they expect us - who offered to load the moving truck - to actually help them pack boxes and it was stupid piddly stuff that they could have dealt with.. our time (and professional movers time) is valuable and so dont expect us to pack your boxes. do it yourself.

Hire professional movers vs family & friends. Family and freinds might help you out but they most likely would rather do other things but they do it as an honorable thing. Professional movers are hired to do moving and so its better.

Speaking of that, if you are not dont packing, this is what delays professional movers so they are very late for their next jobs. imagine you are that 2nd job and the people delayed the movers for that reason.

Have some cold drinks and/or water available for movers. Also tip them well expecially if they had to climb stairs, lug heavy stuff like pianos, washer dryers, etc. also dont pack your boxes way too heavy.

keep your pets out of the way of movers. they could trip on them if the pet decides to walk anywhere in your home, the pet might escape or get stomped on by people carrying boxes in hand.

Main thing i learned - i had a move where i hired a. professional mover. so i was at a tavern with some people i met there, anyway, we were talking and i mentioned i was moving. they had a "friend" that said oh can you instead hire him? he could use the money and woudl do a better job as he works for a moving company.. so i was in a benevelent mood, so i cancelled my professional mover and got this guy.. stupid me. so the guy comes to my house and gives me an estimate, etc, says he can do the job. so the few days before the move, he comes by and says he needs $200 deposit to get the moving vehicle. he says "wheres all your stuff". (i was moving some personal items by my own self and he noticed they were missing). anyway, when the day of the move comes, he does not show up, turns out he is a CROOK who lived in the housing projects. i call the police, they cant do much, and says if he gets caught, he probably wont have any money to reimburse you. The guy had robbed me and left me hanging. so i call my original "friends" and they came by to make up for their recommending this crook to me. Oh by the way, I called his alleged job that he claimed to work for and they said they fired him a week earlier than i had hired him. Thats the last time i ever agree to hire some guy like that just to be charitable. Always i will use a professional mover.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:08 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Be discreet about your previous life elsewhere.

I relocated to a region very different from where I grew up and made the mistake of telling new co-workers I had wealthy relatives.

This became problematic. I didn't think anyone would care. However, greed is sneaky. Greedy people can be ruthless.

Have a "fluff" script about your private life, and stick to it.

No one is entitled to your whole life story.

Old 12-29-2023, 08:30 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
I'm getting ready to move to Colorado from Florida. Waiting for my current house to sell. The worst part for me is trying to decide how to get the cats there and if I have them flown there with professional "cat movers" they will be there before me (I'm driving) so are they supposed to be in an unfamiliar, empty house waiting for me to arrive?

Should I use a moving company, PODS or a U-Haul? I'm going to sell most of my furniture before moving. My older son moved there 3 years ago and he said for the price he paid for the professional movers he could have bought all new furniture. Plus one of the movers stole his brand new circular saw that was still in the box.

Decisions, decisions....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues