Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times

Advertisements

For 47 years, I lived in the same general area (7 short-distance moves in the Indianapolis area during those 47 years).

Than I met my (now) husband, and we're currently preparing for our 5th cross-country move in 6 years.

Each time I think "Maybe THIS time we'll stay put for a few years," but he keeps getting transferred after a year to year and a half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:17 PM

284 posts, read 499,562 times
Heh... I've moved once more since I posted in this thread so long ago. That was within the same city. Now my new hubby and I are planning on moving from the dusty desert (cough cough) to the mountains of the Pacific Northwest. I may make a nomad of him yet. ^_^

Old 03-07-2014, 04:32 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
No less than a million times. I'm moving right now; fingers mostly.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 PM

47 posts, read 79,478 times
I've moved 19 times, if I'm counting correctly(and I might be) - being content to stay put in the place someone else chose for you upon your birth or during your childhood is, to me, the same as being content to let someone else choose your clothes, your music, the food you eat, etc.

That said, I think there are places that "match" every individual person; it is just a matter of finding them, and then finding ways to establish permanent ties to each of them.

OP, don't worry...a lot of people here may have moved more than you have(well, so far)...but I am(almost) sure that you are #1 in the category of "Most Thread Title Punctuation" - and you've started a pretty interesting conversation, as well. It can feel isolating when you move a lot(by choice, anyway), since society seems to so strongly disapprove of people who do so...it's nice to see that others have also moved around a lot and enjoy having that sort of experience.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Only 10.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:52 PM

198 posts, read 273,825 times
Default Re: Moving

I can't even begin to count how many times I've moved...too many to count...due to job transfers, etc. I don't know if 17 times, but right around there sounds just about right. It's a royal pain. Some of the times I had to move myself, but many times were paid for by the company.

I can see at least one more move in my future.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:25 PM

416 posts, read 871,324 times
Here is my detail of "moving" throughout my life:

Age 0-5, lived in an upscale neighborhood in San Jose West.

Age 5-16, lived in a small town about 20 minutes from San Jose West, in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Age 16-18, lived in a larger city (10,000, which was large for my standards of what I was used to, lol), in the Santa Cruz county area.

Age 18-24, lived in same city; however, in my own place.

Age 24-present, relocated to Portland for a promotion with my employer.

Currently in contact on a new build town home with close of escrow set for 4/16. So if that goes through, it'll be my 6th move in 24 years.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,932,278 times
We have had 20 homes and are looking to sell and move to already purchased home which will be 20 & 21 after 59 years married.

Last edited by DanBev; 03-08-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 03-12-2014, 07:35 AM

104 posts, read 149,728 times
I moved 13 times. I was beginning to think that I had some type of nomadic disorder but then I found this thread and realized I'm not alone. That's 13 times not counting the many times my family moved as a kid. We lives all over the north side of Chicago, Willowbrook and then Bolingbrook, We then moved to Sarasota, Fl and finally to Indianapolis. My family is still finding that Indianapolis isn't quite home. Looking to either head back down to Florida or back home to Chicago.

Welcome to the Nomadic Club - we also say make yourself comfortable - but don't get too comfortable.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERMAN View Post
I moved 13 times. I was beginning to think that I had some type of nomadic disorder but then I found this thread and realized I'm not alone. That's 13 times not counting the many times my family moved as a kid. We lives all over the north side of Chicago, Willowbrook and then Bolingbrook, We then moved to Sarasota, Fl and finally to Indianapolis. My family is still finding that Indianapolis isn't quite home. Looking to either head back down to Florida or back home to Chicago.

Welcome to the Nomadic Club - we also say make yourself comfortable - but don't get too comfortable.
Awesome quote. I know people from my home base (WV) think I am CRAZY. They have such strong roots put down from generation after generation after generation. Sometimes I wish I had those strong roots, but I was raised an army brat so . . . I'm just different.

My son is currently in college outside of Chicago so he already has the nomadic gene. I expect him to land somewhere West.

I'm glad there are so many others out there that can't seem to stay put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues