Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 139,296 times

Advertisements

how many people have used moving companies to pack your belongings? i'm trying to do research to decide what services i want, but i just feel iffy about hiring someone to pack my belongings. how does the process work? were you nervous, did you have to overlook everything they did? did you do most of the work beforehand? sorry, i have soo many questions, but feel soo lazy having to hire someone to pack my belongings, but moving is soo time consuming and tiring. please share your experiences, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,945,387 times
I packed things like linens, closets (shoes, handbags), some kitchen spices/dry ingredients and books. I let the professionals pack breakables, dishes, furniture, pictures, pots/pans etc. If they pack it, they insure it. If you pack it , it's labeled BPO and not insured. Talk to the moving companies and ask them about what they would charge for and how you could reduce the cost without sacrificing insurance/replacement of damaged items.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
I've moved several times, often long distance, and have sometimes done all my own packing (which I enjoy and do well) and sometimes let the moving company do everything except my most personal or most loved small items which I packed myself.

Since I was working full-time each time I moved, sometimes having the moving company do my packing was the only way I could get to the moving day with a healthy mind and body. Only once, a long long time ago, was I even slightly dissatisfied with the work the movers did, and that was one item only.

The movers packed so well and kept me sane each time. Of course, I learned long ago from the reports on 20/20 and Dateline and other shows never to use local, small movers unless I'm really satisfied with their licensing, bonding, and Better Business Bureau reputation (which takes time to research). So I've always used national companies, even for local moves: Allied, Atlas, Mayflower, North American, and United Van Lines. I would never use other companies, because I'm willing to trade a bit more money for a lot more trust and peace of mind.

I hope you move with excitement and enthusiasm!

Old 10-13-2008, 04:45 PM

24 posts, read 139,296 times
thanks!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Ah packers - it's a mixed bag and sometimes a crap shoot ... we've made three major moves using three different national companies (Bekins, Atlas, United). It's even a mixed bag for the companies themselves because they have to rely on local help for the packing. Depending on location, sometimes the locals are worthless and some really don't know how to pack even though they've been trained.

With each move I've learned more and more -- if we ever move again, I will purchase the boxes and paper and bubblewrap to pack things that I care about. Yes, these boxes will be marked PBO and not insured, but I know how to pack and even if the box gets tossed off the Empire State Building, nothing will break.

Please be aware that packers pack everything and I mean everything, and it can actually be humorous (for example, bathroom trash can with trash still in it).

Even the most efficient packers might put unlike items together to properly fill a box, so also be aware that your crockpot might be surrounded by your livingroom pillows and a scatter rug from your bathroom with the box marked "Kitchen".

All-n-all, should we move again I will have them pack us. I will, however, pack some of my things myself well ahead of time. And, as I've learned from experience, I will be prepared in advance to know not to do anything at all on packing day or days since you really have to be on your toes and split in a million directions to stay on top of what they're doing. It's worth hiring packers - they can do in a day or two what would take a homeowner weeks to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues