Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine gurl View Post
I am wondering if it is safe to put my 2 golden retrievers in crates to put inside the uhaul truck im renting? Im afraid they will not have enuf air, or that it will be too hot. Is this safe? Has anyone done this before? Im driving from oregon to kentucky with a friend...no room in cab??? one is 75#, the other, 110#! The other option was to rent a utility trailer for them and crate them and put them in there??? Worried bout the fumes? Please Help!!!!
Certainly a predicament. Neither is safe. What about renting a car for your friend to drive with the dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
Putting your dogs in the back of a uhaul with no ventilation is very dangerous, there is no way to cool that area down and it will be like an oven. If you have any question about how hot it will get go sit in the back of a closed truck for a half hour and see how you feel. A utility trailer is no better, again no ventilation. If you don't have a car rent one and have the friend drive it with the dogs, it will take longer but your dogs will be alive.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Seven dogs dead after American Airlines flight - CNN.com

Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
I am wondering if it is safe to put my 2 golden retrievers in crates to put inside the uhaul truck im renting? Im afraid they will not have enuf air, or that it will be too hot. Is this safe? Has anyone done this before? Im driving from oregon to kentucky with a friend...no room in cab??? one is 75#, the other, 110#! The other option was to rent a utility trailer for them and crate them and put them in there??? Worried bout the fumes? Please Help!!!!
NOOOOOOOOO! It is abolutely unsafe. I actually knew someone who did this with an Irish Setter a number of years back and it died of carbon monoxide poisening during the last 100 miles from DC to central KS.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:58 PM

577 posts, read 1,758,837 times
I wouldnt be comfortable putting them inside a truck like that. Heat, fumes, and you won't even know they are having issues. Can you drive another car separately that the dogs will fit in? For that long of a trip, I wouldnt want my dogs in a utility trailer either but of the two I would go with that, at least they'd get ( I'm assuming you mean an open one?), just make sure they have shade and lots of water and stop a lot to check on them. I wouldnt do either for my dogs though... Have you looked into the pet airline? It has limited stops but maybe you could do it for some of the way? Good luck

Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM

448 posts, read 851,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Sad story. That is why I most likely will be driving with my son, cat and dog from AZ to NC. We are most likely moving in June and here in AZ it is way hotter than 85 degrees. Should definitely be interesting.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:48 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,629 times
Quote:

I pray to God you reject this consideration immediately.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Sad story. That is why I most likely will be driving with my son, cat and dog from AZ to NC. We are most likely moving in June and here in AZ it is way hotter than 85 degrees. Should definitely be interesting.

Call me crazy , but I don't understand how people even consider flying their animals when there's a considerable risk of death (unless it's overseas; and I'd still reconsider). I would never trust strangers to handle them (especially cargo handlers who probably couldn't give a you know what).

I'm moving from CA to VA and even though that drive makes me want to kill myself, I will absolutely do it for my dogs.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Did I mention NO?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM

24 posts, read 98,421 times
Trade your car for a mini van or an SUV, move the rear seat and put them all in crates or at least the aggressive one. You can buy herbal treats and tinctures to help them relax or see your very for a prescription if you really think it will be a problem. Line up a pet friendly hotel/motel along the way for a nice rest. Plan on extra water and potty breaks. We did it with kids, large scared dogs and a car sick cat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues