Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:17 PM

33 posts, read 152,131 times

Advertisements

Lots of people talk about wanting to move away from places they don't like, but what if that's not really the dilemma? If someone had these two choices, what would you (based on your life experience) recommend (for person in twenties - early thirties)?

Choice 1 - Continue to live near family and friends and work at job with good coworkers. Life isn't great but it's not bad either.

Choice 2 - Move to place you've dreamed about living in for about five years (for various reasons related to that area that aren't relevant), can get decent job and afford good quality of life.. Will be away from family, no friends already there (but can make friends pretty quickly based upon past experience.)

Basically the choice is between remaining in a good (but not great) situation but possibly regretting not moving OR moving but possibly regretting the move with no option of being able to go back to current good situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I would make the move. You don't have to be there permanently, and at some point you'll almost certainly have the opportunity to move back if it doesn't work out.

I moved away from my home city for graduate school, and due to one reason or the other have lived in five cities in four states on both coasts since then. Having the opportunity to live other places has helped me to realize what it is I like most about a place, given me opportunities to explore the country (because living somewhere is a very different thing than just visiting), meet new people, have fun, and I think has made me a better person (sorry for the cliche!). We are now hoping to buy a place in my home city, but I now feel comfortable putting down more permanent roots because I've had the chance to explore other areas. I know that my home city isn't perfect, but I also know exactly what I'm gaining and what I'm giving up by living there. I don't think I would have been as satisfied if I had stayed there the whole time, always wondering "what if."

My only big regret is not yet having had the chance to live in NYC - I figure maybe that can be our retirement adventure.

Good luck with whatever route you end up choosing.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,339 times
I love adventure. Sometimes a move like that is great and sometimes it's really a let down. It's a matter of if you have safeguards in place in case the move doesn't work out. If you do have safeguards and it's something you want to try, go for it as long as you can accept the possibility of the unknown.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
This is the same dilema Im in. Im in an overpriced area that is terrible for me in the long term, but I grew up here, and my family is here.

So what to do?

Live for yourself. Are you depending on your family/friends to pay your bills? Fund your retirement? Put your kids through school? Buy a decent house?

Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is the same dilema Im in. Im in an overpriced area that is terrible for me in the long term, but I grew up here, and my family is here.

So what to do?

Live for yourself. Are you depending on your family/friends to pay your bills? Fund your retirement? Put your kids through school? Buy a decent house?
It's hard though when both choices have good sides for myself you know? I can afford to be on my own either place.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,760 times
Do it now before you have kids and bigger responsibilites. I would live in rent and enjoy the area of choice for as long as you want.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:41 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I would make the move. If you never satisfy your longing, you will never be happy. If it turns out to be something other than what you expected, you can always go back.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:46 PM

Thanks for all of the posts! It sounds like a pretty unanimous recommendation to move ..

Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysideoflife View Post
Choice 2 - Move to place you've dreamed about living in...
Door #2! I'm leaning towards doing the same myself, CA to NM.

Quote:
Thanks for all of the posts! It sounds like a pretty unanimous recommendation to move ..
You can always move back if you don't like it. Or move somewhere else. You'll never know and always wonder about it if you don't move.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Lots of people talk about wanting to move away from places they don't like, but what if that's not really the dilemma? If someone had these two choices, what would you (based on your life experience) recommend (for person in twenties - early thirties)?

Choice 1 - Continue to live near family and friends and work at job with good coworkers. Life isn't great but it's not bad either.

Choice 2 - Move to place you've dreamed about living in for about five years (for various reasons related to that area that aren't relevant), can get decent job and afford good quality of life.. Will be away from family, no friends already there (but can make friends pretty quickly based upon past experience.)

Basically the choice is between remaining in a good (but not great) situation but possibly regretting not moving OR moving but possibly regretting the move with no option of being able to go back to current good situation.
Okay, if anyone needs encouragement to leave a place and move on, talk to me!

First question, why would you say, if you left, you may "not be able to go back to current good situation"? Can you explain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues