Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMaye View Post
Im from Alabama, but I'm going to have to move up north soon and I've never thought about my accent before but now I'm wondering what they'll think about it. Don't get me wrong I'm incredibly proud to come from Alabama and love having an accent I'm just a little worried it'll cause problems.
I'm not really country but it sounds like Lucas Black's just slighly less country but still really close to it
Do you like this accent or is it too country?

YouTube - LUCAS BLACK SPEAKS JAPANESE FOR FAST AND THE FURIOUS...
Dont know exactly where youre moving to, but if its Northern Illinois area, most of them will peg you with the stigma of being uneducated , a backwoods hillbilly, and/or a Redneck. Youll find this more prevalent the closer you live to major cities in the north..and less prevalent if you live in the country up north .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
P.S> Regardless of where youre moving to, dont ever make apology for yourself, your roots, the culture you were raised in, or the way you sound ; dont live for the applause of men (women)., cause theres no peace in doing that. I just moved to Florida from Illinois, and im glad to be in the deep South . Love it, and the people. I hope to talk southern one day soon . Ive got the Ya'all down pretty good...but still struggle with things like Grits and black eyed peas . I love the Pecan Pie and Lemon Pie down here though and Bar B Q.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 PM

111 posts, read 590,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
P.S> Regardless of where youre moving to, dont ever make apology for yourself, your roots, the culture you were raised in, or the way you sound ; dont live for the applause of men (women)., cause theres no peace in doing that. I just moved to Florida from Illinois, and im glad to be in the deep South . Love it, and the people. I hope to talk southern one day soon . Ive got the Ya'all down pretty good...but still struggle with things like Grits and black eyed peas . I love the Pecan Pie and Lemon Pie down here though and Bar B Q.
I'm pretty sure that wherever you go, it's usually the uneducated and ignorant people that form those preconceptions of people.

In all of the people that I have met, the ones with accents were always loved. We had this Scottish girl who was really difficult to understand, but every person I knew thought she was adorable and loved to talk to her. Same went for the French student at my school, or the English people that I encounter from time to time. It's a nice change from the ordinary, and anyone worth your time won't have a problem with it. Especially your accent. It's very rare that I get to speak to people from the Southern U.S, but I can understand you perfectly fine and honestly it's not even that thick of an accent. I have heard far worse.

The only time that I have seen people annoyed with accents is with people with very thick accents, usually French (being Canadian) or Chinese. Even Indians or Pakistanis with very thick accents are usually given a lot of patience here, and a lot fo the people I just listed are practically impossible to understand.

I doubt anyone will give you a hard time. Well that's not true, there will be a lot of curiosity and comments on your accent, especially in smaller towns, but it's usually friendly. If anyone gives you a hard time based on your accent, they'll probably be some unimportant person who is ignorant of the world beyond their doorstep.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM

250 posts, read 910,864 times
Im a midwestern girl in the 'south' and I get asked all the time where Im from, no big deal. Its an ice breaker
I like southern accents personally, I like most accents and everyone has them...they just need to leave their little worlds to find out that other areas speak differently. I have a good friend from So Carolina with a very thick southern accent. Its very sweet and I do think guys find it attractive and NO she doesn't sound uneducated. That doesn't come from an accent, it comes from whatever words come out of your mouth, not the accent in which their spoken

Have fun in the new location!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
I've lived in many different places during my lifetime, and I always tend to pick up on the local accent after I've lived there for a time. I think alot of other people have that same tendency. It just happens naturally.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:21 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
The OP has never returned and I did note a week or so ago she/he was inquiring about small towns in Alabama where they already lived ? ? ?

Old 09-04-2009, 12:12 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
For some reason I did not find that accent at all southern. It did sound like the person was trying to talk rather slow and tried to be careful to use good enunciation.

I live in North Carolina and am from Maryland. I was sitting in a Waffle House two days ago and hopped into the booth next to me with two older gentlemen that seem to be there everytime we are and said hello.

He goes on to tell me I have an accent, where am I from.

I think that over time my accent has had an added southern quality to it, but as a native from this area, he knew I was not from around here, ya hear?

Old 09-05-2009, 10:20 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I think that over time my accent has had an added southern quality to it, but as a native from this area, he knew I was not from around here, ya hear?
So true! I live in Maryland, but I can still pick out the accent from the area of Tennessee where I grew up. I've shocked three or four people over the years, talking to them, then asking "Are you from East TN?" Everyone of those folks grew up within 50 miles of where I grew up Funny thing is, I do not talk like that now, and when I visit home, it sounds soooooo southern to me LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues