Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

I have done this several times...and make new friends. Just jump in. One thing...my kids have moved a few times. I think giving children new experiences is valuable. And gives them self efficacy. And helps them develop skills in making friends and adapting to change. Valuable life skills. I have a friend, who has not moved...and states that moving kids is terrible. My kids were not psychologically damaged by moving a few times. I think they have more ability to adapt to change....and less fear about change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
All the places I've moved as an adult I knew no one. It's always worked out great. As others said, it's a fresh start.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I have done this several times...and make new friends. Just jump in. One thing...my kids have moved a few times. I think giving children new experiences is valuable. And gives them self efficacy. And helps them develop skills in making friends and adapting to change. Valuable life skills. I have a friend, who has not moved...and states that moving kids is terrible. My kids were not psychologically damaged by moving a few times. I think they have more ability to adapt to change....and less fear about change.
I think the same thing! Many people told me to "stick it out" in my old area until my kids graduated from High School. That was two years ago and I didn't listen because the cost of living was becoming oppressive. It was way too stressful.

Flash forward to two years later. My son recently graduated from High School one month ago. He is still attending the rounds of graduation parties, and his was attended by over fifty friends. My daughter tried out for cheer and made the squad. She is a little more reserved when it comes to quantities of friends.
But she has several close one.

Kids are more resilient than one thinks, and I agree with Jasper that it helps children to learn coping skills and to be open to new people and new experiences.

Bottom line is, kids move where their families move and it is their parents who make such decisions. Friends come and go and a few friends stay. With family suport moving helps children learn that their identitiy is not ultimately tied up in a location.

People who are too connected to their school friends and home towns are often stuck - and miss chances to improve themselves because the are full of fear and misplaced loyalty.
Roots are wonderful! but wings help you to soar and to achieve.

The days of people living in one place from cradle to grave are over. I'm not sure that I am finished with my own journey. If you feel the need to move - seize the moment and go for it!

Old 08-08-2012, 05:13 PM

13 posts, read 19,248 times
I'm 27 and moving to Atlanta not knowing a single person. I've found a roommate and we seem to get along, we've never met or anything but have similar interests. I'm a very outgoing person but it's hard to put in a bunch of time trying to meet people. I'm from CA and mostly moving for adventure, I think I'll eventually end up back here in CA but you only get one chance to explore. The worst thing that could happen is I end up moving home earlier than expected, will I feel like a failure? No, because at least I tried. If you're moving because you want to escape your life and start new that's a whole different story.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:33 AM

62 posts, read 85,140 times
I've moved to places (usually across the country) where I didn't know a soul twice on my own and then twice with my spouse. It can be both scary and refreshing at the same time. Keep the phone numbers of close friends and family members handy in case you're ever feeling alone and need someone to talk to and give you perspective on your situation. I know I had times I felt like giving up on the moves at first sometimes, but I'm glad I stuck it out each of those times. I feel fortunate now to have friends and experiences from many different places around the country.

The more you get involved in activities you enjoy, the more likely you will be to meet people who share your interests and whom you enjoy spending time with.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I know the title may be a bit confusing, but I am set on leaving Buffalo once I graduate in May. Not 100% sure where yet, but I am looking at Knoxville, Lexington, Tulsa, OKC, and Cincinnati. At any rate, my parents live in Buffalo, but are relocating as well, the thing is they aren't sure where.

My whole family moved here when I was 17 from Canada, and none of us like Buffalo. My sister is in college in Florida. So basically, I am going to be moving somewhere where I don't know anyone at all. My other relatives all live in Canada, and I won't move back there, it's a nice place I just love the US too much to ever leave.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Is it tough to get connected with folks when you don't know anyone at all? I have great friends, and they are all leaving Buffalo too (it's a bad town for jobs)... so I don't know what to do.

I've always had many friends, but I know after college people settle down. Is it tough to find friends in a town when you know no one. I'm not afraid to get involved in social groups, I am active in my church, and active politically...

I am a male if that helps... Oh, and sorry if this is the wrong forum, it just seemed right. And another thing, "just don't move" isn't an option. Buffalo is a dying town, the average starting salary out of college for my field in Buffalo is $38,000, in other cities outside of NY, it is $49,000... not to mention my county is the 4th highest taxed (in aggregate) in the entire country. I am getting out of Buffalo, and moving to a more Conservative state... So that being said, what do I need to know? Anything to go for or to avoid? Any personal success stories?

Thanks...
Many times.

1980: moved from Syracuse to Phoenix AZ (for college. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Loved it!)
1984: moved from AZ to San Diego (after college. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Love it!)
1992: moved from SD to Tucson AZ (job related. Had never been there. Knew quite a few people that also moved. Hated it!)
1996: moved from AZ to Sacramento CA (had to get out of Tucson. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Loved it!)
2010: moved from CA to Fort Worth TX (economic climate made it tough to stay. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Love it!)

Yup, I have gypsy blood. In every move, I made friends right off the bat. The places that I've moved were all somewhat "transient" and most people had come from somewhere else, too. This last move has been the longest for making lots of friends, but not impossible (I put that down to moving somewhere where people have more roots, that I'm older, and that I'm kind of enjoying not having commitments).

How you'll handle it has a lot to do with you. My family thinks I'm nuts. My brother won't even go on vacation to a place he's never been before (?), let alone move somewhere. But I get restless after awhile. I love exploring different places and getting to know a new city.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Every time I move, I don't know anyone. That's part of the point of moving. Like re-booting your life.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Many times.

1980: moved from Syracuse to Phoenix AZ (for college. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Loved it!)
1984: moved from AZ to San Diego (after college. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Love it!)
1992: moved from SD to Tucson AZ (job related. Had never been there. Knew quite a few people that also moved. Hated it!)
1996: moved from AZ to Sacramento CA (had to get out of Tucson. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Loved it!)
2010: moved from CA to Fort Worth TX (economic climate made it tough to stay. Had never been there. Didn't know a soul. Love it!)

Yup, I have gypsy blood. In every move, I made friends right off the bat. The places that I've moved were all somewhat "transient" and most people had come from somewhere else, too. This last move has been the longest for making lots of friends, but not impossible (I put that down to moving somewhere where people have more roots, that I'm older, and that I'm kind of enjoying not having commitments).

How you'll handle it has a lot to do with you. My family thinks I'm nuts. My brother won't even go on vacation to a place he's never been before (?), let alone move somewhere. But I get restless after awhile. I love exploring different places and getting to know a new city.
I call myself a professional gypsy. Most people ask us, after we move, when we're gonna move again. The funniest was this move, we had a nice older couple invite us in down the block of the place we initially rented. After we were there an hour, she said to me, "So, when is your next move planned"? And, they're both 86 or something. But, I think it's more about finding the right place or "home" for me. My friends think it's time for me to settle down. Hehe.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:00 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I agree, I've thrown a few things in the back of the SUV and driven across the country to someplace I haven't been. Sometimes a restart is the best thing.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
About to turn 42 years old this year and relocating for the very first time, (if house sells of course). Lived in my home town my whole life minus the 4 yrs that I went away to college. Some friends and even family members think im stupid for waiting this long to do it...but I feel im in a good place and the mind is finally "right"..Paid off all of my debt/ no credit card debt and paid off car. And beside sometimes you really need a change of venue. I think for me, relocating will almost be therapeutic...It's really bad when you're beginning to hate everything about your hometown and you hear newcomers just rave about it. Been there done that to everything here. I don't have the 'grass is greener" syndrome. I know there will be some bumps along the way..but it will be the change that I so desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues