Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,218 times

Advertisements

I left my birth place and home town in upstate NY and relocated to S FL. I met my current SO here and stayed and tried it out. I missed home for about a year to two and when I went back, I seen a huge difference and returned to S FL. If I ever go back to upstate NY, it would be to live out my years and to go from dust to dust in the town I was born. Right now I just love these cool May-evening breezes we are enjoying and am enamoured by the palm and coconut trees, blue skies and so much more. As far as I can see, I am staying in FL for a long, long time.

Now about you. What are you contemplating? I'll look through the posts and see if you've noted that here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Sometimes you need to move just to get the blood flowing. I've lived in at least 16 different places, and we're about to move again. Living is a leap of faith. Why should moving be any different?

At least this time we are moving with deliberation and personal intent, and not to follow a job.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:23 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,674 times
Moved to S FL in 1983. Had a good job with the county and had 10 years in, but housing was getting expensive on LI. My parents moved down here a few months before and they kept sending me the papers with for rent and prices were so cheap. I was a single Mom and my dd was four so I decided it would be a good time to make the move and if I didn't like it I could always go back. Went back for a visit 10 years later and I was glad I left. After I got here got a job within a week making more money then with the county and my apt was $400 cheaper.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:25 PM

46 posts, read 173,017 times
This thread has actually helped me think some things over as well...your hometown is your hometown nothing will take its place. Moving on is good too tho, i have heard/seen alot of sucess stories from people who are extremely happy with the moves they have made throughout their lives. I hope to be one of them. We live in ny now, born and raised. Its my husband, myself and our two children. Im 20...hes 24. started young, yes (will have been together 6 years this Nov). Anywayyyy My grandparents talked us into moving to Maine to start our lives by ourselves, shortly after our first child... because we were at the time living with his mom and second baby on the way...so! we moved. Started our life, got our own place and he got a amazing job up there.. well we were there a year and i hated it. I really hated it. I missed my family (my mom brother sister) he admitted that he too had been missing ny. Plus folks it was the dead of winter I was a SAHM (stay at home mom) with TWO babies under 2 at one point in the dead of winter in MAINE. ok... how much stupider could i get? (my personal opinion) So after some looking he applied to a great paying job down here in Ny and we moved back. Kids in tow...dogs came few months later. We have been here ever since...now starting to plan our move to Flordia. I have decided while we miss our families when we move, and it doesnt feel at home at first... sometimes it takes TIME to get over that in order to redirect your life. In Maine i just wouldnt do it, there is nothing up there for us but I believe Flordia is different. The weather is one huge reason why that is true regardless of what i hear. I am definitely not a snow person either. When you believe winter isnt gonna hit so bad "this year" and it comes later then expected and still hasnt quite left until TODAY literally May 23...there is something wrong in my book. lol So we are anticipating our move to Flordia gonna SUCK UP the homesick feelings and bear it for AT LEAST 2 years.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:25 PM

66 posts, read 469,242 times
ive wanted to live in fl ever since i was a little. my grandma had a house in st pete up until about 2 years ago and i went down at least once a year, i loved it. now im 18 and will be moving down to south florida with my best bud in september. we have been working hard and saving a lot of money. we will be visiting in about 3 weeks to find out exactly where we want and then when september rolls around were going down for good. were thinking ft lauderdale and i cant wait. few think we can pull it off but i know we can and i cant wait to show everyone back home.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 AM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
yes--it worked out very smoothly, but now I'm planning to move again 8 years later

Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 AM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
I did it 2x....moved from Milwaukee to Tampa in 97 and then Tampa to Raleigh in 2001...did not know anybody in either place...had places to live but no jobs (found quickly though)....made myself go out & find friends...still talk to all of friends on FL (more than I do my WI friends)...went out looking at places etc....

Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
Yep,I lived in Pa. and followed my now husband to Minneapolis.We both decided we wanted warmer temps so we moved to South Carolina.We have been here almost 7 years and would like to move to Florida so that is our next goal.I wouldn't change a thing because it's good to experience different places.Sometimes you just have to leap as scarey as it is,everything always seems to work itself out.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:53 AM

150 posts, read 706,198 times
I moved from Mass. to Fla 15 yrs. ago.We moved down with our two boys in search of warmer weather and better jobs.All of our family still live in Mass. and would never leave.One of my sons never adjusted and has since moved back.He now has his own family there.I guess in a way I regret it.I love Fla. and it's home to me now.We have a great life here.I don't know that I could do NE winters anymore.Yet, the older I get the more I miss family.I guess what I'm saying is that I wish I never had moved in the first place.I'm torn.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:13 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
wow! Alot of people moved to Florida. everyone keeps skipping over Kentucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues