Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,117 times

Advertisements

I would say it more as, "moving for quality of life"

Just did it (for this and many more reasons) and our quality of life is Significantly improved!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I have the ability to move to warmer climate with activities that I enjoy more than where I am now. I am confident that I can find some kind of job in my field lined up before making the move.
A part of me is saying though that one should only make a move a) to be near relatives b) for a job transfer from a job you already have c) for school. What do you think?
You should move because it makes YOU happy. You are the one who has to live with your choices. If you enjoy being in a place with a nicer climate - go for it. You only live once.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:59 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
I say do what makes you happy. Technology has made it possible to be just a click or IM away. Tickets are affordable, which makes it possible to be just a few hours away for most of us.

Have fun and take the leap. Worst case scenario, it's not the right move and you try again.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:18 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
That is the major reason we are moving away from Indianapolis. I don't feel guilty, rather excited.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
"Climate" and proximity to outdoor activities are two different things. I firmly believe that there is such as thing as "climate hedonism," especially when the climate that people consider desirable (today, living in the desert is the latest fad) is combined with cheaper living costs. I just described Phoenix for you in one sentence. People move here because they don't like snow and cold. Actually, that's not it-- people move to Phoenix because they hate rain, snow, clouds, and cool temperatures so bad, they are willing to go to the opposite extreme just to rid themselves of it.

The economy here is based primarily on construction and development-- not any core industry. They aren't moving here for "the city," that's for sure. The funny thing is, I know so many people here who do nothing but complain about how there is nothing to do, boring architecture, lousy food, lousy music scene, etc, etc, but choose to stay put, primarily because of the weather (in addition to "climate hedonism," this place suffers from "climate amnesia"-- people talk about the weather as a plus and conveniently ignore 6 months out of the year). Some people really are happier here. But personally, I think that if you're the kind of person that would get a lot out of the culture of a city like Seattle, Chicago, or Boston, the down-to-earth communities of the midwest, or the possibilities for outdoor recreation that a colder climate city like Denver or Salt Lake would offer, but instead, choose to live in Phoenix because you just "can't take the cold," then you are a weakling.
BEST REPLY EVER ON C-D, right here folks! AMEN!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
BEST REPLY EVER ON C-D, right here folks! AMEN!!!!!!

It's called "selling out" to the Sunbelt, and it sucks. Then again, you get rid of those people who don't appreciate the arts and local customs/flavor, who are unlikely to vote to fund such amenities anyway.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Default You make the rules!

I Need A Change

Quote:
Is it totally self-indulgent to move for climate/leisure?

I have the ability to move to warmer climate with activities that I enjoy more than where I am now. I am confident that I can find some kind of job in my field lined up before making the move.
A part of me is saying though that one should only make a move a) to be near relatives b) for a job transfer from a job you already have c) for school. What do you think?
YOU, are the only person who can answer this question!

My thoughts on the matter:

---SO WHAT if it is self-indulgent to move for climate/leisure?
---Is ANY reason for moving intrinsically better than any other reason...who says so...and where does their authority originate?

Many Blessings.....Franco

Old 06-05-2007, 11:59 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I would say it more as, "moving for quality of life"

Just did it (for this and many more reasons) and our quality of life is Significantly improved!!
LOL! I've heard the phrase "quality of life" more often in the Upper Midwest than any other place I've lived. Here in Mpls/St. Paul, you'll hear chamber of commerce types say, "Well, we might be the coldest metro area in the US, but we have the best "quality of life", which they define as high test scores, graduation rates, air and water quality, etc. etc. In Iowa, they say, "Well, this might be an unexciting flyover land that no one is exactly flocking to, but we have the best "quality of life", which they define as low crime, no traffic congestion, "good" schools...

Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post

You really need to move for you!!! If you are confident you can find a job, then go for it. Life is too short to be somewhere you are not comfortable. Best of luck!!

Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
It's called "selling out" to the Sunbelt, and it sucks. Then again, you get rid of those people who don't appreciate the arts and local customs/flavor, who are unlikely to vote to fund such amenities anyway.
Another great post!

Absolutely 100%, I concur. Bon voyage shallow folks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues