Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:11 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We are just renting a house here for a year, mainly because our credit doesn't qualify us for a mortgage. We figure we'd like to get a good feel for the area, while repairing our credit, which we figure will take about a year.

We originally thought of this house as a temporary place, looking for a bigger home with more land, etc, but this place is growing on us. Not having so much to heat, air condition and maintain is a plus! We figure what would a bigger house gain us, ayways? More work and more expense, plus more to unload if circumstances change in an uncertain environment.

This house is offered at 189K (of course, after our lease ends). We figure we could scrape together 20% down, get a 15 year mtg, make extra payments, and have it paid off in 7-8 years, right when we'd be looking to retire. Having the home paid for would be a real asset, whether we live here or not. We would be relieved of the burden of house payments, and have substantial equity if we decide to sell and downsize. I'm starting to like this place. We couldn't do our "seven year plan" with a more expensive house, couldn't make those numbers work with something more expensive. Hopefully the real estate market will go up by then, or at least if it doesn't, we aren't stuck with a monster to unload!

Regardless, I still plan to keep those boxes, at least the odd sized ones
After being here 2 weeks, we really like this place. We're just renting, but might make an offer. the owners really spiffed up the place, it looks brand new, nice neighborhood, not quite what I had in mind, but nothing to complain about. Even on a Saturday night, in a densely populated area, its so quiet you feel you are out in the country. A nice, upscale blue collar type place, good, decent hard working folks, hard to find. Kids for our kids to play with, nice neighbors, great home, why bother to move again? meanwhile we feel so overwhelmed by the pristine nature of this home, we work harder to keep it in tip top shape. As renters, we feel since its not ours we have more of an obligation to keep it in great condition, as opposed to many renters who feel so what, its not their place anyways!

I think we might just have found our new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:59 PM

448 posts, read 851,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
After being here 2 weeks, we really like this place. We're just renting, but might make an offer. the owners really spiffed up the place, it looks brand new, nice neighborhood, not quite what I had in mind, but nothing to complain about. Even on a Saturday night, in a densely populated area, its so quiet you feel you are out in the country. A nice, upscale blue collar type place, good, decent hard working folks, hard to find. Kids for our kids to play with, nice neighbors, great home, why bother to move again? meanwhile we feel so overwhelmed by the pristine nature of this home, we work harder to keep it in tip top shape. As renters, we feel since its not ours we have more of an obligation to keep it in great condition, as opposed to many renters who feel so what, its not their place anyways!

I think we might just have found our new home!
I am glad that it looks like the house is going to work out for you. Starting fresh is sometimes good all around.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:42 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
LOL!! This next move will be my 51st move in my life. I'm hoping this next move will be my last........ but I'm secretly doubtful.

Life is all about the journey!!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:25 PM

448 posts, read 851,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
LOL!! This next move will be my 51st move in my life. I'm hoping this next move will be my last........ but I'm secretly doubtful.

Life is all about the journey!!
Wow, 51 moves. I have only moved 4 times. I will most likely have two more within the next two and half years

Old 08-18-2010, 04:03 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
wow 51 times and my husband is fussing about five times in five years and if this job goes we will be going again LOL !!!but this time will be harder because we will have to move back in with family but might not be such a bad thing you know ?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azteacher721 View Post
Wow, 51 moves. I have only moved 4 times. I will most likely have two more within the next two and half years
That certainly trumps the number of moves I've made, which includes moving from the USA to the UK and then BACK to the USA from the UK, LOL! It isn't the moving I hate, its the PACKING! Currently sorting through everything and packing for our move at the end of September. Even though I am extremely excited and thrilled about this move I just cannot get motivated to pack! That could partly be due to the fact that currently I live where I work and the constant interruptions are frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues