Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 05:46 AM

449 posts, read 1,700,487 times

Advertisements

I've seen mixed opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of visiting before moving. For those of you who have done this, do you have certain questions lined up so you can compare? I know it's a good way to get a general feel for a place but I've also read that visiting a week doesn't really tell you much about how it would be to live there. Is it worth the expense or not really?
I do think having housing lined up beforehand is a plus but that can be done without visiting beforehand (at least for a rental)

This would be where a job is assured, so not totally blind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 AM

9,324 posts, read 14,943,284 times
I'd cast a definite -yes- visit for a week if you can. It can't hurt to scope out neighborhoods as much as possible.

The only time I wouldn't bother is if my budget was so high I could be assured of a luxurious place with no worries.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I've seen mixed opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of visiting before moving. For those of you who have done this, do you have certain questions lined up so you can compare? I know it's a good way to get a general feel for a place but I've also read that visiting a week doesn't really tell you much about how it would be to live there. Is it worth the expense or not really?
I do think having housing lined up beforehand is a plus but that can be done without visiting beforehand (at least for a rental)

This would be where a job is assured, so not totally blind.
I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be worth the expense.

You need to do things you can't do online.

Practice commutes during normal commute hours.
Walk up and down the street and knock on doors and ask questions that are important to you "Does this neighborhood have lots of kids? How many? Which homes?" for example, if you have kids and you want playmates for them.
Map out the ten places you'd visit for 90% of errands: grocery, walmart/target, home depot/lowes, pharmacy, doctors, gas stations, etc. What will this drive be like?
Drive around every block within a two or three block radius and identify anything that might bug you. For example, Is there a cement mixing plant nearby that releases dozens of big, smelly, loud, slow trucks onto your road every morning?
Any crappy neighbors who park their cars on the lawn, have a 100 foot ham radio antenna, boat in the driveway with an ugly blue tarp, etc?
Visit in person the elementary school: walk around, do the kids look engaged and cheerful, are the restrooms really clean, etc? Visit at the end of day when the parents are picking up their kids. You will see people in your community you will be interfacing with for the next ten years. Do you like what you see? Are they your "type"? Do they look snobby? Trashy? Professional? etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Question New here & completely lost.

Hello, we are trying to relocate to Franklin county in Ohio.
How do converse with others here from that area? (if any)?
Thanks so much. Im not even sure how to "start a thread". 1st timer on forums etc.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,845,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micoria4738 View Post
Hello, we are trying to relocate to Franklin county in Ohio.
How do converse with others here from that area? (if any)?
Thanks so much. Im not even sure how to "start a thread". 1st timer on forums etc.
My brother in law lives in New Albany/Gahanna there.

Try the Columbus City-Data forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/columbus/

Old 02-24-2010, 12:33 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,157,182 times
It depends of course on how much it will cost for the pre-visit, how long you plan to stay in the area, and what matters to you.

When I worked contract at various nuclear plants around the country, I was alone, I rented a cheap house or apt. convenient to work, and didn't care about neighborhoods, schools, etc. etc. I was there to work the contract, get my loot, and hit the road to the next job. So I just showed up with my stuff in a U-Haul and found an apt.

When I moved out here, I stayed a few days after my interview trip, and scouted out the area pretty thoroughly. But I was planning on staying.

Offhand unless the pre-visit is really expensive, or there are no real choices on a place to live given the job, or if you are just passing through, I'd do the pre-visit if I could.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 PM

18,415 posts, read 19,061,181 times
we can tell within a very short period of time if we want to live in a place soon after our feet have hit the ground there. you either like a place and see yourself there or not. so I vote yes. I was ready to move to costa rica sight unseen. we did take a trip there and by the first afternoon I knew I couldn't live there.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:07 PM

449 posts, read 1,700,487 times
Thanks for the opinions. In our case, its expensive (though cheaper than making a mistake) because of the details getting from a smaller city to a smaller city so lots of connections, added hotel stops, pet boarding, etc. Schools aren't a consideration, just have to be in city limits for the program my one needs. I've had the same experience as hohulamaui - whatever my first instinct is about a place usually proves accurate. And I have found you might not get the whole story about the specifics from far away. Since it would be somewhat complicated I was wondering what other people who've done a pre-visit's experience had been like.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:51 AM

9,327 posts, read 16,687,529 times
We spent a weekend in the area we were considering. Drove around within a 25 mile radius, checked out shopping in the various areas, including cost of items, medical facilities, taxes, and one important factor was what there was to do in the area: cultural, community, etc.

I agree with OP, you need to go with your first instinct.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,936 times
I would insist on visiting first! I have traveled for pleasure and business all over the US. Every city has it's own 'feel'. There are places that I would never live, just because they didn't feel right - maybe it was an attitude or architecture thing - it may be strange to some. You can tell a lot about a neighborhoods and community just by visiting the local stores - 7-11, restaurants and grocery.

You really have to drive into the neighborhoods though and get off the interstates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues