Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:28 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtizza View Post
Ok sorry guys, forgot to look back on the post. I would like to live in a place where it is nice warm in summer on the coast, and in a city that snows or is within 2 hours to snow in winter. Also, I will be specializing in the financial industry eg stock broking, Investment, accounting, banking. My best mate lives in Houston but im not sure I wanna live so far inland from the coast but if it is has a pretty high standard of living then I wouldn't mind.

Also may I inform you guys, GDP isn't necessarily an indicator of standard of living.

Thanks guys
I don't mean to be rude, but have you considered the unlikelihood of being able to afford the suburbs with a Bachelor's Degree? I mean, if you have the job lined up and know what your income will be this makes sense. And I'm guessing that could be the case with a finance degree. However, in the majority of professions in the United States, the Masters Degree is what really counts anymore. Most people spend a few years renting in the city before they build up the equity to buy a house.

Anyway, there's not really anywhere that fits your requirements wheather-wise. Boston and New York are both coastal cities, but both have pretty chilly summers (relative to anywhere in the South), and neither have the long, sandy beaches that you would get in Miami or LA. In fact, if you do want a city with snow in the winter and wide open beaches in the Summer (maybe I'm reading into that, but why else would you want to live on the coast?), then I would recommend Chicago or Milwaukee or other cities on the Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 08:20 PM

635 posts, read 1,541,099 times
I've heard that Perth is very similar to San Diego culturally and physically. I would say find a nice house north of the city in La Jolla but if that doesn't fit your budget you could live more in North County, say parts like Poway. San Diego is your best bet if you want to find a city like Perth. Just one and a half hours away from the Bay you can find snow in Julian .

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
I'm certain that all big cities (200k+ in central city) in the US have nice suburbs.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 PM

100 posts, read 253,543 times
Well, every big city has goods and bads. After all, millions have chose to live in that city, even if there are family or job obligations to stay in a city.

That being said, I think the best major cities (that I would take it would have good suburbs)
- Denver
- Seattle
- Boston
- San Diego
- Minneapolis

Other great cities but a little bit smaller:
- Austin
- Madison
- Des Moines
- Omaha

Old 06-28-2010, 12:23 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,764,232 times
Dallas-Fort Worth has some nice suburbs.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:22 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
I hear Detroit has some of the nation's nicest suburbs.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:30 AM

60 posts, read 46,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That's fine if this person wants sprawl with limited towns to travel outside to. There really aren't many suburban areas of these cities.

Go to suburban NYC. You can travel miles and miles and there will be civilization (unlike many cities where if you travel 20 miles outside, you hit the boonies). The suburbs of NYC are denser/better transit/more diverse than most cities in this country.
Wow, way to contradict yourself just a little??

Long Island is the last place I would recommend for someone in the OP's shoes.

Personally, I would say Denver suburbs, Houston or Dallas suburbs, Atlanta suburbs, Portland suburbs etc.

Much better choices

Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
That's fine if this person wants sprawl with limited towns to travel outside to. There really aren't many suburban areas of these cities.

Go to suburban NYC. You can travel miles and miles and there will be civilization (unlike many cities where if you travel 20 miles outside, you hit the boonies). The suburbs of NYC are denser/better transit/more diverse than most cities in this country.
miles and miles of civilization, isn't that the definition of sprawl?...

I don't think a city that's 20 minutes from the boonies is such a bad thing. That means you can live in the suburbs and be 10 minutes from the city & also 10 minutes from the country. Best of both worlds in some people's eyes. It all comes down to personal preference.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Houston would not meet your requirements for snow. It is rare that they ever get any snow at all. They did have a small amount this past winter put it didn't last. I lived there for 6 years and it snowed once, Christmas Eve 2005, I think. The entire city did not get snow, but we did in our area. The snow was completely melted in about 30 minutes of falling. Depending on what suburb you would choose, you could be within 30-45 minutes of the beach at Galveston, or as much as 1 to 1 1/2 hours away.

I will say, that you will not find many people your age in Houston suburbs. The suburbs are mainly going to be families. Most young, single people are going to be in the more urban areas.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I hear Detroit has some of the nation's nicest suburbs.
Very true. One of the richest counties in America borders Detroit. It's filled with little lakes that the communities weave in and out of.. it's pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.