Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

Who gives a ****, does any ****ing white person go "Hey look at the demographics in South Bronx and Harlem of New York?" (Unfortunately I've lived in both areas) And complain about the "overwhelming" amount of black people and puerto ricans who actually cause trouble? Ever had black cops you'd mistake for gangsters harass you for eating on your own stoop? NO. And the white people don't look at it like it's a ****ing bad thing if they are crawling like parasitic cockroaches. **** this ****. I'm moving to Portland.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
This thread had been ignored for almost three weeks so I guess you give a something or other

Old 06-29-2011, 05:41 PM

200 posts, read 449,352 times
Isnt Livoni, Michigan at least 85% white and over 100,000. If im not mistaken

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM

874 posts, read 1,648,800 times
The North East is where you'll see mostly white/caucasian people.

And to the poster who posted the largest cities with white population: the list isn't accurate. I lived in San Antonio and mostly hispanic and mexican people are in San Antonio. When they say "white", they INCLUDE HISPANICS as well so that chart is wrong. You must check if it says whether they include hispanics in the "white" category or not. It's 60-70% hispanic in San Antonio. LoL I learned to fit in with the city, but I kind of felt out of place.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Yes, i mean good lord Tucson is about as far as you get from being majority white.
//www.city-data.com/city/Camden-New-Jersey.html

in the state i live it's much farther

Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 5,514 times
Default White Minority Shift

What's probably more indicative of the whitest cities, is the census result on white children in the 1 yr. old age group being minorities in certain cities/states. When you look up the demographics you have to keep an eye out on this stat because it will tell you what is to come, especially if you want to settle down somewhere permanently. Just a thought- Whites are on a drastic decrease in population in the United states with 13 states reporting less than 60% white populations (nearly a 300% decrease in 10 years), so you may want to look abroad if you are interested in living and raising your children among your peers.

And yes Hispanics get grouped into the White category in terms of demographics but I believe the us census does breakdown White from Hispanic Whites. (Ex: Oklahoma City- Whites 62.7% then further down the chart it will say White, Not Hispanic 56.7%)

A bit off topic but crime stats do the same. Hispanics are grouped as White for White crime rates but then they are grouped with Non-Whites when you look at White on Non-White crime rates.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is the way I see it. In order to have a city with a near-100% White population, you would have to do what people did in the early 20th century: Keep Blacks and other minorities from moving there via restrictive covenants and sundown laws. Those things are illegal today, and I'm glad they are. For me, as a Black person, it means I can live anywhere I want to live.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,657 times
I think this is a legitimate topic--I don't see many people saying that heavily White cities are better (or worse), just looking at where they exist.

I would put a lot more faith in the 2010 Census than the 2007 American Community Survey data. The fact that it's later is one thing. But the 2010 Census attempted to survey everyone, and by all accounts got to a lot higher percentage of people than in 2000. The 2007 data is from samples, and there are often errors. At some point someone will get really bored, and calculate the metropolitan percentages from the 2010 Census and we can get a benchmark there.

The child population, pretty much across the country, is more non-White than the adult and overall population. This gives rise to an error I hear over and over in talking about the racial demographics of schools, "In Cityville the school system is only x% White. But the city population is 2X% White." You're comparing apples and oranges, what you need to know for that comparison is the breakdown of the school age population. Pet peeve of mine.

I'm willing to use the 2007 data for a general sense, I think it's accurate enough for that. It shows that the difference between city and suburbs was lowest on the West Coast, whether cities had high or low levels of non-White population. They were highest in the Midwest. I suppose that's one reason why Chicago's suburbs are called the collar counties, though that could carry an economic meaning as well.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Just as an FYI since not mentioned....the Portland, Maine metro area (500,000+ population) is 96.5% White/Caucasian.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM

192 posts, read 451,076 times
Default Seattle and Portland are the whitest cities in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Minneapolis
Omaha
Wrong, Minneapolis ain't even close. It's Portland and Seattle by far. Minneapolis/Saint Paul are much more diverse and always have been. There are lots of Hispanic, African American, and Asian people in the Twin Cities. Saint Paul has the highest Hmong population int he country and Minneapolis has the highest Somali. Seattle and Portland are very white and ethnocentric. They are both really really white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.