Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:18 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

I haven't read thru all the posts here, but there is one distinct characteristic of the Conn accent. You will hear people here drop consonants in the middle of words especially T's. For example, mountain becomes moun - in

Also, on occasion people will add an r to words ending in vowels. For example, idea becomes idear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I haven't read thru all the posts here, but there is one distinct characteristic of the Conn accent. You will hear people here drop consonants in the middle of words especially T's. For example, mountain becomes moun - in

Also, on occasion people will add an r to words ending in vowels. For example, idea becomes idear.
I don't know about the idear one, In all the times I lived here I only knew one person who ever talked like that. He also said mondee and fridee instead of Monday and Friday, he was one of my teachers. I know he wasn't from here, but I don't remember where he said he was from.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
The intrusive "r" in words like "idea" is much more common in eastern CT than in western CT.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
The intrusive "r" in words like "idea" is much more common in eastern CT than in western CT.
Makes sense, I lived/live and spend the most time in Western and Central CT.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM

150 posts, read 560,992 times
Being from California originally…now on the East Coast, to me you can easily hear the New England accident from Massachusetts/Rhode Island northward. However, most of the folks I talked to in Connecticut seemed to have no accent at all.

Also, I noticed that there is not really a New England vibe to most of Connecticut, at least in southern Connecticut where I’ve been. I think real New England starts in Massachusetts, or least it seems that way.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Also, I noticed that there is not really a New England vibe to most of Connecticut, at least in southern Connecticut where I’ve been. I think real New England starts in Massachusetts, or least it seems that way.
I agree. I posted this in another thread but feel it fits well in this one:

Perhaps there is no other state that embraces suburban lifestyle more than Connecticut. You have the Hartford area and its burbs, the New London area and its burbs, and then the NYC Metro area which includes the satellite cities of Bridgeport, Danbury, New Haven, Norwalk, Stamford and Waterbury. Actually more than 50% of the state's population technically lives in the NYC area and the majority of Connecticans are Yanks rooters. This doesn't mean that these people work in NYC everyday, of course, because towns near Waterbury can be a 90 minute drive into city limits.

Of course, it's still New England, but a different flavor of New England. You have white picket fences, stone walls, old clapboard homes, town greens and white churches less than a mile away from an interstate with signs warning you "Delay: Next 23 miles." CT certainly has some of the worst traffic in the nation - not what most people think about when they think 'New England'. Life is faster in central and southern CT than much of New England; people more impatient; more type A personalities; more "competition". Ruder (?), if you will.

If New England were going to be a state, anything west of the Connecticut river (in CT) would most likely object.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Wind View Post
Being from California originally…now on the East Coast, to me you can easily hear the New England accident from Massachusetts/Rhode Island northward. However, most of the folks I talked to in Connecticut seemed to have no accent at all.
Everyone has an accent. But you're right that the dialect in most of Connecticut is a bit closer to "General American English" (and the speech of most of the West). However, there are differences if you listen for them - most people in CT pronounce words like cot/caught, don/dawn differently, whereas many Californians pronounce them the same. Also, some people in CT (like in the rest of New England) will pronounce words like "man" and "ham" almost like "mee-an" and "hee-am," which is very different from how they're pronounced in California or even neighboring New York. With a careful ear, you'll also hear a difference in the "ow" vowel in words like "down" and "about" compared to their common Californian pronunciation.

And for the record, the Rhode Island accent is quite different from that of eastern Massachusetts and points north. But they do both have the classic r-dropping feature.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:25 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
My last "differences" thread. I created a map of the Northeast similar to my Midwest, South and West maps. Out of all regions, I'm least familiar with the Northeast, so I apologize if I have anything wrong.

Northeast boundaries - Google Maps
One difference I noticed from looking at maps and reading books about the outdoors is the huge size of state lands that the 3 northern Mid-Atlantic states have saved.

New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey have saved millions of acres of land for the public by their own actions. They contrast very well with many other states, where the land was either saved by the Federal Government or not at all.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Yes, and this is why there are so few national parks in the Northeast. It's not like they don't have areas that are national park-worthy... it's just that the state governments have already stepped in and turned them into state parks and preserves.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,588,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
One difference I noticed from looking at maps and reading books about the outdoors is the huge size of state lands that the 3 northern Mid-Atlantic states have saved.

New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey have saved millions of acres of land for the public by their own actions. They contrast very well with many other states, where the land was either saved by the Federal Government or not at all.
Teddy Roosevelt had great foresight when he (as governor) pushed for the setting aside of the Adirondack Park preserve, which is a huge portion of NY State.

I once read that Iowa has the smallest amount of undeveloped land among the 50 states. Not because of urban development, but because it is so intensely farmed. The soil is so rich there that economics dictated the land would not be left in its natural state. IA also has very few state parks, state forest land and preserves when compared to other states, for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.