Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 PM

374 posts, read 812,769 times

Advertisements

I love how any thread remotely related to the South gets drug into a really angry argument about the Civil War or racism or stereotypes. At least it's entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
^^^ I second this. Being agnostic, it is really hard to find people who share my lack of religious faith. I don't mind people being religious at all (most of my friends here are), but a lot of people do like to shove it down your throat. My mother (who is devoutly Catholic and raised in Jersey) gets perturbed by it as she has always believed religion is a very private matter.
According to Jesus, it's both.

Personal prayer, in which Jesus exclaimed to go into a secluded spot and pray is private. On the other hand, public worship and the Great Commission (Sharing the Good News) is public.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
According to Jesus, it's both.

Personal prayer, in which Jesus exclaimed to go into a secluded spot and pray is private. On the other hand, public worship and the Great Commission (Sharing the Good News) is public.
I can totally understand that. Spreading the word at church, or in areas where people have a choice to walk through the door or sign up and discuss religion is fine. Maybe even once you get to know a person, you can discuss religion openly.

I can even deal with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons knocking at your door. No, I don't really want to talk about the Bible with you, but at least you're open about your agenda, I can deny the offer, and close the door on you.

But I just think it's downright rude when people imply or outright say I'm disabled because I don't believe in Jesus. It's not something that's happened to me once, or twice. It's something almost every person that brings up Jesus with me says. The only people who haven't were disabled themselves (or close to someone disabled, like my family) and realized disability has nothing to do with how much faith they have.

In other words, there's a way of going about things and that's just not the way. People take "spreading the word" too far here.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 07-29-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I love how any thread remotely related to the South gets drug into a really angry argument about the Civil War or racism or stereotypes. At least it's entertaining.
This always amuses me too. People talk about racism being worse in the South. I don't really think racism is better or worse down here than up North. I think the only difference is it manifests differently.

In the South, racist people aren't ashamed to admit they're racist. They will openly tell you how they feel about blacks and Hispanics and whatever other group of people. And they'll usually follow with some story about how the Mexicans cheated them or are lazy or whatever.

Up North, everyone acts like they would never even dare have a racist thought, regardless of how they actually feel. But instead, you feel people tense up when a person of color enters the room, or notice them avoiding eye contact with the black kids on the bus, or if an employee fires someone they will come up with some other rationalization, even though subconsciously race plays a factor in the decision.

Most of the racism I've encountered is generalizing personal qualities to the race. Examples are Juan X comes to work late every day or Mary Y doesn't do her job right, so it must be because they're Hispanic or black.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
As a westerner who lived in the South, I couldn't wait to get out. A big part of that was just I wasn't attracted to the area's natural topography/weather: the humid weather, the lack of alpine lakes with clear water and rocky bottoms, the lack of mountains/hills. A big part was cultural: the formality of dress, the emphasis on religon, southern identity (in the west people generally do not care if you are from the south/west/east/another country, whereas in the South you are either Southern or a Northerner); the phony kindness (bless your heart means go f yourself. I'd rather have someone tell me to go f myself, it's just more honest); the lack of cultural destinations, etc. The South is great if you like it, I certainly don't, however.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM

166 posts, read 612,218 times
^^^^ I second this to an extent. The midterm elections are coming up shortly. And every candidate I see, Republican AND Democratic stresses how much of a family man and how much they love Jesus in their ads. It's so just so phony and the fact that a lot of people tend to have a lot of faith in these boozoos and vote for them because of it makes me feel like people are too gullible.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 49,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at
There is a lot of conservative, country muisic, country folk in the North, including me. But I happen to be stuck in a big city in the South so I feel kind of like you in regards to the North .

Old 07-31-2010, 01:44 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
As a westerner who lived in the South, I couldn't wait to get out. A big part of that was just I wasn't attracted to the area's natural topography/weather: the humid weather, the lack of alpine lakes with clear water and rocky bottoms, the lack of mountains/hills.
Sounds like you should have lived in....the mountains. We actually have those in the South.

Quote:
the phony kindness (bless your heart means go f yourself. I'd rather have someone tell me to go f myself, it's just more honest)
The euphemism means different things, depending on the context. Most of the time it just means "poor thing"--like "Barbara couldn't come out tonight because she's home with a nasty cold, bless her heart" or "Little Timmy did well in the play today, even though he couldn't remember all his lines, bless his heart."

Quote:
the lack of cultural destinations, etc.
There are plenty of those in the South (New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, etc.). Just depends on what sort you're looking for.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Can't stand the south. I'd rather snag up a '50s home in metro Detroit than live in a preplanned gated neighborhood in Houston or Atlanta metro anyday. Not enough small businesses and too much sprawl. Also, no snow. How can you stand grey, cold winters just above the freezing mark? :O

Old 08-03-2010, 07:10 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Can't stand the south. I'd rather snag up a '50s home in metro Detroit than live in a preplanned gated neighborhood in Houston or Atlanta metro anyday. Not enough small businesses and too much sprawl. Also, no snow. How can you stand grey, cold winters just above the freezing mark? :O
Because they last two months, tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.