Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM

9 posts, read 13,651 times

Advertisements

Before i ask, what is the problem with Mexicans. We have nothing to compare them too in England, expect probably Indian settlers. Are they a serious problem? If so, why ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:02 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmore_88 View Post
Guys, let me tell you how truly inspiring it is to have so many people care about the well being of my wife and I, and how much we both appreciate the fact that you have posted us places to live. Charleston looks quite nice. Another thing i guess i should have added in is that we are both orthodox Jews. Giving up our religion would hurt us, but we would move on, but going somewhere like the Carolinas, where i hear is anti-Semitic, seems pretty dangerous. Is New Mexico any nice? I hear Santa Fe and Albuquerque is also nice.

There is a Jewish community here in Austin

The Jewish Community Association of Austin

Old 07-24-2010, 07:27 PM

336 posts, read 908,329 times
How does one just up and move to America? Don't you have to get a visa and whatnot?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM

184 posts, read 438,200 times
OK, What about Florida! Sunny, beaches, Disneyworld, etc. etc. LOTS to do.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 PM

9 posts, read 13,651 times
Tricia, believe me thats the least of my worries. My wife is an American citizen.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,280 times
Quote:
Before i ask, what is the problem with Mexicans. We have nothing to compare them too in England, expect probably Indian settlers. Are they a serious problem? If so, why ?
No problem in most states.
But in Arizona,new Mexico,and California they are growing at a very fast rate.
Texas has a problem as well. Sometimes Mexican neighborhoods are high-crime neighborhoods as well. Not always. Its just plain old racism for the most part. So what city did you choose?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM

449 posts, read 934,344 times
Mexicans are good people. Although, they come in vast numbers and are poor so they can be a financial burden. Plus, there is a criminal element but that is largely blown out of proportion. Good people though with great family values - we could learn a lot from them.

LA is the second largest Jewish community after Brooklyn. Florida also has a large Jewish community. The old Jewish areas of Detroit are mostly black now. I think just about every state has their Jewish areas - try Google. If you are trying to escape anti-Semitism you might try building a colony on Mars. But be forewarned, it will be a month or two before the Muslims build a space ship, come up there and accuse you of usurping Muslim land.

Seriously though, there is an odd phenomenon here in the states. Most Jews (reformed) are Liberal, but most Liberals are vehemently anti-Israel / anti-Zionist / anti-Semites. The Conservatives here are pro-Israel as are more observant Jews and odd balls like myself. Don't be afraid of the Church folk - they are on our side. It's the Atheists you have to watch out for.

Why don't you come to the US and have a look. I am partial to S. Florida and being an architect there will be work.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:35 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Guys, let me tell you how truly inspiring it is to have so many people care about the well being of my wife and I, and how much we both appreciate the fact that you have posted us places to live. Charleston looks quite nice. Another thing i guess i should have added in is that we are both orthodox Jews. Giving up our religion would hurt us, but we would move on, but going somewhere like the Carolinas, where i hear is anti-Semitic, seems pretty dangerous. Is New Mexico any nice? I hear Santa Fe and Albuquerque is also nice.
Charleston and Savannah don't have huge Jewish communities, but Jews aren't totally absent. I think you'd find a lot more anti-Semitism in the more rural areas, not so much those cities, both of which are pretty quirky and tolerant. For what it's worth, both cities boast one of the oldest synagogues in the United States! I had the opportunity to visit both on my trip. The Charleston one, which I believe is the very oldest in the country in continuous operation, had a beautiful building and a neat, tiny museum of Jewish life in the South, including a great letter from George Washington to the synagogue sending good wishes and expressing the importance of religious tolerance. The Savannah one is the third-oldest in the country and is well-known locally as "the synagogue that looks like a church," because it was designed by a Catholic architect. It also plays a memorable bit part in the true-crime book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," which is so beloved in Savannah that it's known simply as "The Book."

Today both of those synagogues are Reform. If you're looking for an Orthodox community, I imagine you'd have a hard time finding it in both places. Your best bets, considering your weather needs, would be the L.A. or Miami areas, both of which have no shortage of Orthodox Jews. Most, however, are in colder climes -- New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, still a significant population in suburban Detroit.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Seriously though, there is an odd phenomenon here in the states. Most Jews (reformed) are Liberal, but most Liberals are vehemently anti-Israel / anti-Zionist / anti-Semites. The Conservatives here are pro-Israel as are more observant Jews and odd balls like myself. Don't be afraid of the Church folk - they are on our side. It's the Atheists you have to watch out for.
No way I'm turning this thread into a political debate, but I can't really let this go unanswered, so I'll just make this indisputable comment: There are many people who would very strongly disagree with these statements.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,810 times
Malibu- You dont need gates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.