Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 PM

34 posts, read 71,325 times

Advertisements

I'm liberal and i live in San Francisco... and have an apartment in New York City.. so yeah i like liberal cities
Mainly i just find liberal cities more accepting... and much more diverse
Conservative cities seem to me like they are still not accepting of lots of things such as gay marriage... am i gay no but i like to know that gays can have the same rights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 06:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor cali boy View Post
I'm liberal and i live in San Francisco... and have an apartment in New York City.. so yeah i like liberal cities
Mainly i just find liberal cities more accepting... and much more diverse
Conservative cities seem to me like they are still not accepting of lots of things such as gay marriage... am i gay no but i like to know that gays can have the same rights...
We are accustom to liberal environments in California and wonder why some people seem afraid of progressives. It is liberating to be in a place where people are accepting of everything but those who want to impose their religious bias and those who are fearful of science and the future.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
I don't like cities that explicitly lean one way or the other. I'm not really a political person, but I would be described as very liberal by most.

New York City is a unique type of "liberal". It's not nearly as in your face with it as, say, Portland or San Francisco...it seems to be more of a subtle, almost implied, liberalism. It's kind of hard to describe.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM

129 posts, read 191,528 times
I would say this dynamic plays out quite a bit in the Twin Cities. Both Minneapolis and St Paul are solidly Democratic but Minneapolis is a much more liberal city. It's much more transient, hipsterish, and anything conservative is shot down pretty quickly. St Paul is much more open to conervative views, is very Catholic, has lots of families that have been there for generations, and feels more old fashioned. This is why I love St Paul but would much rather move to St Louis or Pittsburgh than accross the river to Minneapolis.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
We are accustom to liberal environments in California and wonder why some people seem afraid of progressives. It is liberating to be in a place where people are accepting of everything but those who want to impose their religious bias and those who are fearful of science and the future.
I can't help but notice one reason i dislike extremely socially liberal cities. The people in them (obviously not all) seem to think they are above everyone who doesn't agree with them and their beliefs, and usually don't give people with other beliefs the time of day. They tend to hear the word religion and put their noses up, for example.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah, your safe with an Infiniti since expensive autos are a status symbol in LA. Hummers are hard to find anymore and I think the company went out of business.

I think you give LA too much credit for being "moderate" though considering that it was the first city to boycott Arizona, outlawed all indoors cigarette smoking as well as the beach, banned plastic bags in super-markets, has innumerable marijuana dispensaries, extremely pro-immigrant rights, home of some of the most leftist personalities [Barbara Streisand, Sean Penn, Sandra Bernhard, George Clooney, Jane
Fonda, Oliver Stone]. Home to liberal TV commentators: Bill Maher, Chelsea Handler. 75% Democratic with large powerful unions. Hate to ruin your perception but I think Los Angeles is more liberal than Austin for example.
No I'm not talking about concrete details of how liberal a city can be.

When you think of Los Angeles, first and foremost thought and a list of thoughts are always its recreational activities, and the famous landmarks and people that live there, and some very scenic places. It can be amongst the most liberal city in the country, yet at the same time it is unlike San Francisco you will not find that plethora of people who make it their everyday goal to intercept liberalism throughout the city.

In Austin, I literally had people telling me to get a hybrid and all that other stuff and to get more involved in "whale protection" or something like that. Repeatedly.

Cities that are massive like Chicago, Los Angeles, etc... may have a liberal political sight but it is not full of people who have that as a culture, if you know what I mean. I view liberalism as a culture in San Francisco for some odd reason and in Portland too, and in Austin.

For example, Dallas is by far more liberal than Austin in Texas. But Dallas does not have as many people in the local park (it does have some) going around and saying "hey whole protection program here sign up".

What I mean to say is, there are branches under liberalism, and some cities reflect it on an everyday basis behind the office paper work and boycotts, some cities, it's more of a way of life than anything else.
You city may be a liberal city, and it can pass and correct laws that reflect liberal ideas, but it is way to massive with a plethora of people who come literally from every corner of the world to be culturally liberal alone.

Like I have absolutely nothing against cities that promote liberalism openly on a daily basis (I like them when there aren't those keying my car for being a gas guzzler), but come on man, leave my car out of it! Haha.

I barely understand what I am trying to say, so if you don't then I understand lol.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM

129 posts, read 191,528 times
Quote:

Old 08-12-2010, 06:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I honestly don't care what you think it is. I didn't feel like people there were looking down on my for being Asian (extremely conservative) or that people got annoyed I drive a non-hybrid car or the fact that I drive in general (extremely liberal). [Rough examples not really the entirely of fact] And if you read my last line, I warned off with posters like you that I knew were going to quote me thus I said my personal opinion.

So you can keep your ideas to yourself on that one. I feel it to be a moderate atmosphere where in a cosmopolitan city among people of so many different backgrounds that acceptance is the least you have to worry over.
And I'm sorry I don't have a drive to talk politics and discuss it, so I am leaving it here and ending this.

Politics and perception of it is a personal thing to me, it is like a dairy I do not want people nitpicking it and how I perceive it, makes me hate those kind of people more. So please respect my opinion and move on. I am not going any further in an argument with you about it.

But you said you haven't been to NY yet, so how can you tell how moderate it is? I don't think a moderate city would allow a guy half naked to stand in Times Square playing music, or a "naked cowgirl" with no shirt on to walk around in public.

I grew up in NYC in the 50s and 60s. It was the first city to enact many things. The sit ins and protests for the gays in the 50s, etc. No way NYC is a moderate city. Read up on some history.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
But you said you haven't been to NY yet, so how can you tell how moderate it is? I don't think a moderate city would allow a guy half naked to stand in Times Square playing music, or a "naked cowgirl" with no shirt on to walk around in public.
LOL what? No I haven't been to New York City on my current trip yet. I have been there 3 times before all in Manhattan and one section of Queens and my uncles house on the outskirts. Thats why I asking about things outside of Manhattan in that other thread so that way I can see the "real" New York City outside of the tourist destination areas...

Old 08-12-2010, 06:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
LOL what? No I haven't been to New York City on my current trip yet. I have been there 3 times before all in Manhattan and one section of Queens and my uncles house on the outskirts. Thats why I asking about things outside of Manhattan in that other thread...

Oh, my mistake. But read about the history and you will see it's not a moderate city. And come here during one of the festive parades or holidays and see for yourself what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.